PDA

View Full Version : Getting them back in...

Poppy'n'Peach
02-03-2016, 10:20 AM
OK, so Poppy and Peach have been doing pretty well, taking treats from my fingers through the bars and stepping up onto a dowel while inside the cage. So I thought I'd see if they'd like to come out for a bit.
Poppy ventured out first, and didn't look like he'd had the chance to fly free before, it seemed to give him quite a shock. Peach, meanwhile was shouting the house down in her alarm while he fluttered around the room. He crawled around the cage until found the way back in, after which she ventured in and he shouted his head off.
Eventually they both ended up out, after which of course there's no draw back to the cage and I'm wondering how I go about getting them back in. I've had Poppy on the dowel a few times, but he panics and flies off as I get him closer to the cage.
Do I grab them, or leave them in the room to see what happens? They're in my small spare bedroom which seemed the safest place to let them out for the first time, not so massively igh as our living room and no door to the outside. If I turn off the light, are they likely to go back to the cage to roost or go to sleep on the wardrobe up high?

Poppy'n'Peach
02-03-2016, 11:21 AM
OK, all good now. A bit more flying around the room (me trying to gently herd them towards the cage!) and they suddenly realized how hungry they were. Poppy stepped up onto my dowel again (well, actually it's the handle of a wooden spoon, I hold the spoon part) and this time he stayed perched while I moved him towards the cage, and right in. Peach then flew to the cage and after a false start when Poppy came out again briefly (before remembering where the food was) I manacged to get Peach to crawl around the cage to the door.
2 exhausted and very hungry lovebirds are now stuffing their faces frantically...! I don't think we'll try that again soon, need to get them a bit tamer first.

linda040899
02-04-2016, 11:07 AM
It's amazing what food and the need for it will do! At least it was a learning experience with a positive outcome rather than a negative one. They now view you as their helper when they really needed to eat but weren't quite sure how to get back to the food!

As their slave, you are also their heroine!