PDA

View Full Version : Our little Dusty didnt make it.

AlovebirdMom
02-05-2016, 07:54 AM
Less than 48 hours after our last playtime with him where he exhibited no signs of illness or distress, he passed yesterday afternoon ; a few hours after we brought him home from ER.

Im not sure he was accurately diagnosed at the Pet ER so Im going to check out the other one in town for next time. (which hopefully we'll not need.)

I posted his pic in the memorium thread. I will always remember his independant streak compared to the other 2 lovies and our conure. Trying to teach him to get up on a stick was a useless gesture. He'd jump on my arm but not a stick. He thought a stick was something to attack. :roll:

I missed him alot this morning when I go downstairs--greet them all and get their food. The other 2 lovies have each other but our conure petey will miss him. Petey would always talk with him when we'd bring Petey to his playgym at Dusty's cages' height.

Even my husband cried when he passed yesterday and he isnt a cryer generally. Pets add so much to life but the pain is awful when you lose them.

Thanks again Linda for being here.
God Bless all our lovies and guide Dusty to heaven where my turtle Tommy (who lived to 32 yrs) is waiting for me.

linda040899
02-05-2016, 08:58 AM
I am so very sorry, Ellen
Dusty was one beautiful lovebird! I looked at the bells in the photo you shared and they don't look like stainless steel, although they might be. If not, he might have ingested particles playing with the bells and it would have gone unnoticed. I've eliminated bells, cotton string and most twine from toys for the ingestion problem reason. I use a lot of wood and bamboo.

Pets add a lot to the quality of our lives and there is a HUGE void when one leaves. However, we are better for having known and loved them.

AlovebirdMom
02-05-2016, 09:08 AM
HI Linda

Thanks

That photo is when he was much younger. I didnt use those bells anymore.

Ellen

AlovebirdMom
02-05-2016, 09:08 AM
What do you think of leather straps for their toys?

Ellen

linda040899
02-05-2016, 09:40 AM
I love leather for toys! There are stainless steel clips/clamps for hanging toys and I've ordered them from the Internet. I've found a lot of good items that are 100% totally save on a site recommended by my avian vet.....Parrot Treasures. They use only leather and wood. Nothing else. I found one leather toy that is nothing but leather strings that are knotted and it keeps my conures busy for a long time trying to unknot the knots!

AlovebirdMom
02-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the website. I have been using leather and not chains for their toys. Just wanted to check.

I often worry about Princesse tearing up so much newspaper (never color sheets.) and paper bags but Ive been told that is ok.

Our regular avian vet called this morning to give her sympathies. She had Dusty's ER record but she did mention something we thought and that is, it could have been a stroke but we couldnt know with our a necropsy.

Hugs Linda

Ellen

linda040899
02-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Paper is fine for any paper chewing parrot! I use a LOT of newspaper, just not glossy colored sections, as the ink is soy based. Popsicle sticks are another huge favorite!

A necropsy might or might not bring closure as to what happened. I've had them come back inconclusive. When I lost my male lovebird to the heart defect, the reason did help with what happened. At least I knew it wasn't something I could have known about and dealt with.