PDA

View Full Version : How do I tame my lovebirds

Solamon
02-05-2016, 03:17 AM
I recently got 2 new lovebirds a mail and a femail. I have had them for about 1 and a 1/2 weeks and would like to tame them. They are very scared, when ever I put my hand on the cage they fly around the cage frantically. When I replace the food and water they try to get as far away as possible. I don't know how to gain their trust. if someone could help that would be great :blush:

linda040899
02-05-2016, 08:08 AM
I took the liberty of moving your message to the Behavior & Taming forum so it will get proper attention.

There is really only one way to tame untamed lovebirds (or any parrot for that matter). You simply have to be patient and let them get to know you. Remember that birds, in the wild, are prey so they naturally fear just about anything until they realize, through experience, that they will not be the next meal on a plate somewhere. What that means is just keep them where you are near and visible to them a lot of time during the day. Sit next to their cage and talk to them. Being naturally curious, if you eat a meal by their cage, the food should catch their attention and they will, in time, have to find out what you have that they might want. We have a few others who are working on the same thing and it just takes time, patience and a lot of love to earn their trust. There are no shortcuts, at least not any that I know of, that work.