PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Paper Doll - Jennifer

Crystal Taylor
11-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I am currently in east central Florida but will be moving to Orlando in May and Linda told me you would be the best person to ask about an (or more than one) avian vetrenarian and emergency veternarian hospital in the area that you like. I actually might just use him/her ahead of time because there's only one in my area and I'm often in Orlando on the weekends and sometimes my lovie has come with me so it would be good to know.

Thanks
Crystal

Buy A Paper Doll
11-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi Crystal,

I sent you a PM. :)

I have not found an emergency vet in this area who is able to treat birds. I know exactly where the "regular" emergency vet's office is (and it is a trek from my house) but if my bird needed medical treatment on the weekend or the middle of the night, I'd have to make a quick decision whether to take them to the non-avian vet or start driving to Tampa where Linda's e-vet is.

Janie
11-07-2005, 08:48 AM
I was very unhappy to find out that Atlanta doesn't have an emergency (avian) vet either. I asked my vet what she would suggest I do IF I have an after hours emergency. She did tell me to call a couple of county emergency vets and that they DO have her number and that because I am a regular client in her office she would come in for one of my birds but, she doesn't wear a beeper so who knows if they'd be able to contact her. My other option is the Univ. of GA, about an hour from my house. I am amazed that in a city as large as mine, we don't really have an emergency avian vet.

LauraO
11-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Here in Hawai'i we only have one certified avian vet on the island and I'm forbidden to take any of our birds there. His office is not only about an hour away, but my husband had a very bad experience with him before we met and he will pitch a fit if I even mention his name. If my birds absolutely needed care and he was able to take them I'd take them anyway, but it hasn't come to that. I have called his office several times but they are as backed up as the few other vet's who have avian experience on the island. I'm curious to meet the vet tomorrow who will check Mijo out. I asked the office if she is an avian vet and they told me she studied that in school but I doubt that means she's an avian vet. Of course, our vet is not a certified avian vet but I trust her with my flock and she is very knowledgeable.

Honestly, if I needed a vet after hours it would be a crap shoot and in the hands of the big birdy in the sky.

butterfly1061
11-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Janie,

It is ashame that we don't have a e-vet in Atlanta. UGA is about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I know from the website there is an avian vet closer to me, but I'm not sure if he does emergencies. I may just call to find out. Couldn't hurt.

Buy A Paper Doll
11-07-2005, 01:22 PM
As completely over-the-top as this may sound, one night I decided to call around to see if there were any emergency vets that could treat a bird. Each place I called said to call another place that was a little farther out. After 7 phone calls, I determined that there is no one within an hour's drive.

At least now I know that in a real emergency I should not waste time trying to locate an avian vet in Orlando that's open after hours. I'll just start driving south ...

Crystal Taylor
11-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Jennifer,

Where to the south? Any suggestions? I'm preplanning.

Thanks
Crystal :confused:

Mummieeva
11-07-2005, 04:38 PM
I ran into that trouble when Kiowa was ill. They only had one person who knew anything about birds and she was not there. I asked them to call her but they said no. There is a avian vet 1 1/2 hours from me..that is closest.

Steph

Crystal Taylor
11-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Jen and anyone else interested-

Here is a list of the Orlando avian vets I found listed. I am posting the link that I got them from and it provides a list of avian veternarians in Florida. I'm not sure though if these vets pay to be on the list so be careful. Who knows if they once touched a bird and now consider themselves avian vets!

http://www.exoticbirdservices.org/veternarians.shtml

Orlando
Tilothy L. Colbert (Maybe Timothy and a typo)
(407) 273 6010

John H. Porter
(407) 297 7528

Kelly Randolph
(407) 273 6010

Karry Jackson
(407) 277 3497

Diaz-Fiueroa, MVM, MS
(407) 644 1287

Winter Park
Robert E. Hess Jr DVM
(407) 644 2676

Jen.... have you called all these people and still none of them are emergency vet clinics?

Crystal

Buy A Paper Doll
11-07-2005, 06:33 PM
"Who knows if they once touched a bird and now consider themselves avian vets!"

That's exactly what I worry about. I haven't called all of these people, but I will this week. For the most part, when you call after hours, you'll get a message telling you that if it's an emergency, to call a certain number. That number connects to a network of emergency vet clinics and tells you which one is closest to you. If the doctor on staff is an avian vet, then good for you. If not, then you're out of luck.