PDA

View Full Version : Yellow lovebird with red eyes.

Maxie
04-23-2016, 03:49 PM
I have my eye on a lovebird that I'm considering bringing home but I want to be sure it's a male. It hasn't been sexed so they're not sure what it is. Can you tell by its colouring? I didn't take a picture but it's yellow with a peach face starting to come through. One thing I found unique about it is that it has red eyes. Can the colouring of the eyes indicate anything?

linda040899
04-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Lutino is a sex linked mutation, and only certain pairings will produce males. If you can tell me what the parents are, I should be able to tell you by what you tell me if you have a male or female. There are considerably more females than the are males because of what it takes to get males.

Maxie
04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know about the parents. I'll see if I can get more info. Funny thing is, my gut says it's a female.

Thanks!

linda040899
04-24-2016, 05:27 PM
With sex linked mutations, females outnumber males by a considerable number. Unless the mother is a visual Lutino, all Lutino babies are hens because dad is carrying the gene. If mom is visual, you can have either gender.

Maxie
04-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Interesting!