PDA

View Full Version : Argh, getting back in the cage

idiotwind
08-28-2016, 11:34 PM
I'm really struggling with our two young male peach faced.
They are about 7m old and in most respects thriving. Parent raised and by no means tame but they have known us since they hatched and are happy to take seeds and talk to us. Hands are still an issue especially for one who still tends to make alarm calls when hands go in cage to change food etc. They will both hop on a finger to take a seed though.
The problem is with out of cage time and specifically getting them back in. Their parents could be challenging in this regarded first but with a bit of bribery we could usually get them back in fairly quickly and it is not an issue at all anymore.
They love spending time out of the cage and but the last few times getting them back in, especially the more nervous one, who sets his brother off, has been a huge ordeal. 5Hey have learnt all our tricks and as soon as we try to manoeuvre them in the doors with seed or millet he hops off and flies away. Putting treats in the cage doesn't work and covering up their parents cage to reduce distractions also is hopeless. Today in despair I ended up catching him with a soft cloth and putting him in which traumatised us both but especially him and I know is a terrible idea and will hurt our bond hugely. I realise that it has become a bit of a game for him but eventually as we get more stressed so does he.
Our bird room is reasonably safe but not to the degree of leaving them in it unsupervised and we can't spend hours in there when we have other stuff (non essentials like cooking or going to work!) to do. It's got to the point that we can't face letting them out and this really hampers our taming attempts and is unfair on them. I'm contemplating clipping their wings which I am really loathe to do for many reasons (also doing it would traumatise them hugely). I'm not sure that would help either besides making him easier to catch.
Feeling like a terrible bird grandparent,
Help!

linda040899
08-29-2016, 01:21 PM
This is a very hard decision to make, especially when you are dealing with basically young somewhat adults who like being out and exploring! I'm not a huge advocate of flight feather clipping but I will do it in the name of safety but all I do is limit how far/how high they can go. It makes it easier to get them to at least step up onto a perch instead of that evil human hand! I would clip 4, maybe 5, of the primary flights on both wings and see if it makes any difference. While you may traumatize them initially, they will also experience the fact that while you held them, you didn't harm them. You will most likely be forgiven a short amount of time. :)

Some of my parrots are clipped, others are not. Just depends on dangers involved and what kind of mischief they like to get into!!!

Iosevus
08-30-2016, 12:24 AM
When I first got my guy I had his wings clipped and then just let them grow back and haven't clipped them since. Looking back I felt it was a good idea. While he was clipped he had to depend on me, it helped build a trust. Some days can be tough getting him back in his cage (Though usually it's fairly easy), but at this point I can manhandle him if I absolutely have to and he forgives me the second I let him go in his cage.

Of course, it was sad watching him try and fly the first time with his wings clipped and I felt awful, but hindsight it was better for the long run.