PDA

View Full Version : Paulie has problems

AlovebirdMom
09-26-2016, 08:02 AM
HI Linda and all

I took Paulie in to the vet (he's 14 yrs and 4 months now) because he seemed to lose control in left foot. Like he had no strength in it. It would last for a few minutes then all would be fine. I know they detected an arrythmia a while back and this time as well when he gets agitated.

He hasnt been eating much--down 2 grams in 8 days and he's always been so regular.

Vet gave me/him an anti inflammatory and it has helped his foot. havent noticed him losing control as he had been in that one foot. But he still isnt eating much--even his favorite black sunflower seeds etc.

Vet wants to do 2 x-rays to check for tumor (though she felt none) Id need to leave him there because she wants to do them not at same time. I have a real problem relinquishing care and I know Paulie always runs to me when he;s stressed and he wouldnt be able to if I drop him off.

Anyone here ever have a lovebird with these symptoms?

Thanks for reading

Ellen

linda040899
09-26-2016, 09:08 AM
If there is inflammation, it could be pressing on a nerve, thus causing pain. Is the anti-inflammatory Metcam?

How much time will there be between the x-rays? I might be tempted to take him for the first and then bring him back for the second. I'm never happy when I have to leave my birds and I only have one vet that I trust enough to do that.

AlovebirdMom
09-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Yes it is metcam. She said a couple hours between xrays as she doesnt want to stress him.

I like the vet but Im also looking at paulie's point of view. He is a creature of habit and just not seeing me would cause him stress. The minute the vet finishes an xam he runs to me to pick him up.
TNX

Ellen

If there is inflammation, it could be pressing on a nerve, thus causing pain. Is the anti-inflammatory Metcam?

How much time will there be between the x-rays? I might be tempted to take him for the first and then bring him back for the second. I'm never happy when I have to leave my birds and I only have one vet that I trust enough to do that.

linda040899
09-26-2016, 11:52 AM
I would probably take him for the first x-ray and then bring him back later, if that's possible. I'm very conscious of the feelings of my birds and my avian vet is more than willing to work with me on that!

AlovebirdMom
09-29-2016, 08:08 AM
HI

I'll probably do it that way if it's necessary. I havent noticed his leg going weak since he's been on the medication. She mentioned arthritis as a possibility as he is 14 yrs + so maybe it's just that.

Ellen

I would probably take him for the first x-ray and then bring him back later, if that's possible. I'm very conscious of the feelings of my birds and my avian vet is more than willing to work with me on that!

linda040899
09-29-2016, 11:07 AM
The Metacam is working, which is a good thing. Arthritis is a possibility and that's basically inflammation so the Metacam will help that, too.