PDA

View Full Version : Pink budgie

Maxie
10-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I went to a bird show on Sunday and saw a lot of birds I had never seen before in my life. One of those was a pink budgie. Yes, a pink and blue budgie. I took a short video clip of it and posted it on my Instagram account. A lot of people think it's dyed, etc., etc. There were a few of them but the one I filmed had won the pink ribbon award ( no pun intended )
I know this is a lovebird forum but would anyone know how they possibly bred a genetic mutation of this colour?

Here's the link to my post of the clip https://vibbi.com/m/1365399865030775811_2699283487 You can also go to my jenlovesmax Instagram account to see it.

Thanks ❤️

Maxie
10-20-2016, 06:49 PM
OK, so I found out! The breeder diluted food colouring in water and sprayed the birds feathers. It's sooooo sad...

linda040899
10-21-2016, 07:57 AM
I had something similar happen to a couple of my WF Cinnamon lovebirds and they did it all themselves! I took several to a show, thinking I might find homes for them and they generated a LOT of interest! To me, they looked perfectly normal but they had a wash of pink coloring from the fortified seed they were eating......after they took baths! Everyone wanted to know how I produced "pink" lovebirds! It wasn't intention but the reaction was a bit amazing!

Sad that someone would use food coloring intentionally.

Maxie
10-21-2016, 12:19 PM
I had something similar happen to a couple of my WF Cinnamon lovebirds and they did it all themselves! I took several to a show, thinking I might find homes for them and they generated a LOT of interest! To me, they looked perfectly normal but they had a wash of pink coloring from the fortified seed they were eating......after they took baths! Everyone wanted to know how I produced "pink" lovebirds! It wasn't intention but the reaction was a bit amazing!

Sad that someone would use food coloring intentionally.

Wow! From fortified seed! Incredible.
Yes, I find it sad too that they would intentionally use food colouring in water to spray the poor birds. Crazy world!

bird-brain
10-23-2016, 05:31 PM
I'm surprised a judge would give a ribbon to dyed birds. Are you absolutely sure it was a budgie and not a Bourke? They look very similar to budgies and they do come in pink and blue.

Maxie
10-25-2016, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised a judge would give a ribbon to dyed birds. Are you absolutely sure it was a budgie and not a Bourke? They look very similar to budgies and they do come in pink and blue.

I'm not an expert, but it looked like a budgie. A few people that were at the same bird show said it was a budgie and it was dyed.
I don't get why they would give a dyed bird a ribbon either.

bird-brain
10-28-2016, 11:04 PM
These are a couple of links to a pink and blue Bourke. I hope they work. I'm not saying it's impossible that a show placed a dyed bird. I just hope not.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/JamieBaughman/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1870_zpsx5vaglyy.jpg

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab342/JamieBaughman/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1870_zpsx5vaglyy.jpg

Maxie
10-31-2016, 11:45 AM
I saw birds like this...I think they were larger birds if I remember correctly.

bird-brain
11-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Rosey Bourkes are very similar in size to budgies. There may be a 5 gram weight difference or something like that. They're the size of a large budgie basically. Most of them look like pink budgies. Really neat little birds. I have read that if you feed red factor canary food, it will turn birds pink :rotfl. Those cute little birds come in soooo many colors idk why anyone would intentionally dye one pink of all colors (says the girl with a pink parrot...:happy:)