PDA

View Full Version : Are they fighting?

Akapandaman
10-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Hello,

I recently have gotten these two little guys, and I just noticed something that is scaring me. Whenever Peach (the female I think) flies to her toys to play, Mango (the boy I think) flies up on her and bites her feathers, so she gets away from it :( . As soon as I get up next to their cage, they fly together and huddle up again. When they aren't fighting over toys, they groom each other and consistently cuddle. They even sleep together at night. I also notice sometimes he will try to bite her feet. I have never found blood. I also bought them at a pet store where they have been together all their lives. I don't know if I should be concerned by this? I notice her feathers seem to be more wild than his, so should I separate them? They seem so in love otherwise, so I'm torn. Any advice would help me.

linda040899
10-25-2016, 08:20 AM
How old are your lovebirds? Are they Peachfaced or Eye-ring? Truthfully, this is a hard call, although you definitely have one aggressive lovebird. I would probably DNA sex them so you know for sure what genders they are. You could easily have a pair of hens that get along 98% of the time. I've got a pair like that and, occasionally it gets rough. I've separated them and that simply devastates both of them. I watch them very carefully and, so far, it's been OK....so far.

Akapandaman
10-25-2016, 05:00 PM
They are peach-faced at around 7 or 8 months old both. That is what the pet store told me. I do notice that while Mango chews on his wood toy, Peach tends to sit around him and chirp. They go from trying to bite beaks to grooming each other. It would also be hard to separate them considering I'd have to forcibly remove him. They're still wild. He would probably lose the only the trust he has for me too.

linda040899
10-26-2016, 08:07 AM
The biting beaks sounds like they are feeding each other, which is very common for lovebirds. I would make sure there are always chewable toys for them (a happy parrot has a busy beak) and just watch. There's nothing in what you have said that makes me want to say that they need to be in separate cages. I would leave well enough alone. :)

Akapandaman
10-26-2016, 02:24 PM
The biting beaks sounds like they are feeding each other, which is very common for lovebirds. I would make sure there are always chewable toys for them (a happy parrot has a busy beak) and just watch. There's nothing in what you have said that makes me want to say that they need to be in separate cages. I would leave well enough alone. :) I mean they feed too, but they also try to bite each others beaks like they are fighting. Thats what I mean :( It's are different. It happens when she tries to play with the toy.

linda040899
10-26-2016, 03:09 PM
Understood. :) I really think about all you can do right now is just watch them. There is one thing you could try and it would certainly get the message across that the male is not supposed to be doing what he is doing. Some members use water bottles set on "stream" and spray the offending bird immediately when behavior is undesirable. The worst that would happen is a wet bird and he would associate what he's doing with the water. The only risk you run is that he might like it.........

Akapandaman
10-26-2016, 11:24 PM
Okay thank you very much. I will definitely be careful with these guys