PDA

View Full Version : Safe fire wood for fireplace

Maxie
11-24-2016, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone,

Last year we had a short blackout in the middle of winter which meant we were without heat too. We didn't light the fireplace because we didn't know if it was safe for Max. Luckily, it didn't last long and by the time it started feeling chilly, the power came back on.

So, this winter, I want to be prepared in case it happens again. I bought a couple of boxes of what's called "Enviro - Logs". They're made with 100% recycled wax cardboard (whatever that is). Heres the link to what they are http://www.enviro-log.net/enviro-log-products

Would these be safe to burn in the fireplace with Max around? If not, what types of wood would be safe to burn in a fireplace with a lovebird in the same room?

Thank you for your help :)

bird-brain
11-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Hi Maxie. I can of course only speak from personal experience and can't guarantee that what doesn't cause problems for my birds won't cause them for another. We have never had and issue with with using the paper logs with our birds, nor have we had any issues with actual wood. We use mainly tulip poplar in our fireplace because they are so plentiful on our property. Polar, aspen and a few others are very low fume wood. I have burned oak, and dog wood without difficulty as well though you do smell those a little more. I got a piece of hickory in fire once and immediately regretted it but everyone survived it. I think too, make certain that the chimney is clean and the fireplace is properly vented. If you have fire doors, close them to minimize fumes and smoke. You can also always use the water left in your hot water tank to fill the bathtub and a water bottle and put the bottle under the grate in his cage and cover him and move him to the bathroom. The water in the tub will help keep it warm for a while. My birds have survived temps down to 40 degrees.

Maxie
11-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Hi Maxie. I can of course only speak from personal experience and can't guarantee that what doesn't cause problems for my birds won't cause them for another. We have never had and issue with with using the paper logs with our birds, nor have we had any issues with actual wood. We use mainly tulip poplar in our fireplace because they are so plentiful on our property. Polar, aspen and a few others are very low fume wood. I have burned oak, and dog wood without difficulty as well though you do smell those a little more. I got a piece of hickory in fire once and immediately regretted it but everyone survived it. I think too, make certain that the chimney is clean and the fireplace is properly vented. If you have fire doors, close them to minimize fumes and smoke. You can also always use the water left in your hot water tank to fill the bathtub and a water bottle and put the bottle under the grate in his cage and cover him and move him to the bathroom. The water in the tub will help keep it warm for a while. My birds have survived temps down to 40 degrees.

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate all the information and tips!! ❤️❤️