PDA

View Full Version : Kaytee Fiesta Pop a rounds

Maxie
01-19-2017, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I don't know if any of you have had an issue with the Kaytee fiesta popcorn treats ..

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kaytee+bird+popcorn&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#imgrc=5uiDPqwiZ2SvkM%3A

I've only fed Max Lafebers brand nutriberries and popcorn berries but for some strange reason, Petsmart has discontinued selling them (the popcorn berries) and I can't find them anywhere else....Toronto is not a parrot loving city 🙄 so I tried the Kaytee brand popcorn treats. Well, although Max seemed to like them, the mango seemed really sticky and these little rounds seeds in them seemed hard.

Anyway, after eating them, I noticed Max trying to regurgitate....mouth open, like a yawn choke. I figured it was this new popcorn. I stopped giving them to him and he stopped doing that.

I'm thinking the mango was sticking in his throat or crop. Has anyone else had this problem?

Z28Taxman
01-21-2017, 04:02 PM
I've only used the lafeber ones. My guys love them. I hope you can find them again.

PetSmart here has almost no parrot food anymore so I have to order everything online.>:

linda040899
01-21-2017, 07:26 PM
I refuse to use Kaytee anything, simply because of the problems I have had with their handfeeding formula! Here's a site in Canada that carries Lafebers: http://www.thingsforwings.ca/

Maxie
01-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the link Linda. I'm going to have to order them in line.

What happened with the Kaytee baby formula?

linda040899
01-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Kaytee Exact has caused a number of my own babies, as well as babes others have raised, to fail to thrive. The formula did not digest properly so the babies died, and the ones that didn't were switched to other formulas. Chewy, my not quite 1 yr old Quaker, was being fed Kaytee when I got him. At age 5 weeks, he weighed 1/2 of what he should have at that age and his feathering looked like he was 3 weeks old. When I switched to Zupreem Embrace, Chewy started gaining weight within 24 hours.

Maxie
01-22-2017, 12:31 PM
Incredible! I'm staying away from anything of that brand.

Z28Taxman
01-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Incredible! I'm staying away from anything of that brand.

The sunseed millet I usually get was out of stock so I ordered kaytee millet and it was the most pathetic millet I've ever seen. The boys were not impressed.

bird-brain
01-23-2017, 09:29 AM
I've noticed the kaytee millet almost looks burned or toasted or something. For a long time, I didn't have a store (well not a clean one anyway) that I could shop in near me and I had to order everything they ate. I had an order delayed once and as an emergency solution bought kaytee seed. I decided to go ahead and finish the bag since I had it by just adding a little to their regular feeding, so I had the bag probably a couple of weeks. Before the bag was finished I had those tiny little moths, that we call candle flies down here, all over my bedroom from where they were hatching out of that kaytee seed. Tried to fumigate the room with an all natural peppermint and something bug bomb, NEVER do that. We had to keep the birds in the dining room and sleep on the couch for a month. I had a very tight woven Berber carpet in the bedroom and even the cleaning company couldn't get that peppermint smell out. Lol. I don't know if it was kaytees fault or Walmart's so I avoid both for the birds now.

linda040899
01-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Believe it or not, I keep all my seed frozen until I use it and I STILL get seed moths!!! I use fly paper to catch them and it doesn't take very long! I actually had seed moth larvae grow in a glass jar where I stored Nutriberries for my conures! I was shocked when I saw that! I've stopped ordering Nutriberries from Amazon, as I really think they are either stored too long or not stored properly at the Amazon fulfillment centers. :(

Z28Taxman
01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Believe it or not, I keep all my seed frozen until I use it and I STILL get seed moths!!! I use fly paper to catch them and it doesn't take very long! I actually had seed moth larvae grow in a glass jar where I stored Nutriberries for my conures! I was shocked when I saw that! I've stopped ordering Nutriberries from Amazon, as I really think they are either stored too long or not stored properly at the Amazon fulfillment centers. :(

I haven't seen any moths in a couple months. Too cold. My three little moth alarms would let me know if there were any. Won't be any moths sneaking into my house. the whole neighborhood will hear about it. :rofl:

Maxie
01-24-2017, 07:36 AM
I keep Max's seed frozen and take out about a weeks worth at a time. I havent found any moths yet...I feed him Higgins sunburst. There's only one pet store (global pets) where I can find it and it's always fresh.

As for shopping on line. I'm not a big fan of shopping for bird food on line. I try to get his food, nutriberries etc from stores where they sell quickly which is usually his busy Petsmart I go too. That way I know it's fresh. I can tell by the softness of the Avicakes too if the stuff is fresh and of course the best before dates....the later the fresher.

I found a pet store (pet value) that will order the Lafebers popcorn berries for me. Yay!!

linda040899
01-24-2017, 09:25 AM
True about the cold. Unfortunately, FL hasn't had any really cold weather for any length of time this year! At least your lovies are earning their keep by keeping you informed! :lol :lol