PDA

View Full Version : Lovebird family...

Maxie
01-19-2017, 05:37 PM
A family of lovebirds, parents and three babies, have been given up for adoption. I'm planning on going to see them tomorrow. They know nothing about the parents or babies. They haven't taken them to a vet for a check up either. Should I be concerned about adopting the little ones not knowing anything about the history of their parents?
Here's pics of babies and parents...

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37216829

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37216828

I'd like to bring the whole family home with me but I'm afraid five plus Max might be too much for me to handle.

linda040899
01-19-2017, 06:54 PM
The parents are AquaTurquoise Peachfaced Lovebirds. Looks like a nice family but you don't know any history. My biggest concern would be bringing in lovebirds that might have PBFD and not be showing any signs yet. There is a test for it and I won't take any that have not been tested. Once the disease is in your home, clean up is extensive and not easy to do. It's more than just disinfecting!

Maxie
01-19-2017, 07:47 PM
Thank you Linda for your reply. I'm so afraid of that disease too and unfortunately I can't just take the birds to be tested before i decide to adopt them. I wish they would have a vet test before they put them up for adoption. It's a shame. If I didn't have Max, I would take the chance. It's too risky with no history about them. 😢

linda040899
01-21-2017, 07:11 AM
Many people don't think about what could happen when you bring in a new bird, especially when you already have one living with you. When I was breeding, I only took birds from other breeders I knew had healthy birds. There were many that I would have liked to have had but just couldn't take the risk.

Maxie
01-21-2017, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to do my research and find a good breeder or if I choose to adopt, I'll be sure that there has been a vet check or that they'll allow me to get it done.

Max is so happy and healthy now, I'd be devastated if I brought home a bird that would get him sick.