PDA

View Full Version : Strange Stuff

acaptiva
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi All--I need help with what's going on with my peachy lovebird. I put a straw-like new toy (for birds) in his/her cage and Mr. Peacher is "plastering" it with a gooey brown substance that appears to contain tiny pieces of light-colored seed hulls. Mr. Peacher (or Ms Peacher, as the case may be) has never done this before. I would like to know what this substance is and how/why and from where the bird is producing it. Anyone out there who can help me. Acaptiva

butterfly1061
11-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Is he bobbing his head? If yes, then it sounds like your Mr. Peaches is regurgitating on the new toy. It's quite alright. He's just showing affection to his new toy. You will need to wash the toy, don't leave it in the cage for long periods of time - bacteria can grow. It will be ok to give the toy back to him after it's cleaned & dried. :)

bellarains
11-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Yep,

Like Jackie said, he is regurgitating, or in birdy land we call that gacking. A single lovie will choose a favorite toy, person or object to feed, as they have no mate to feed, and this is just nature taking it's course. Taking it away which is usually first instinct will not stop him. He will find another object to adore, so the best you can do is keep his new "love" as clean and possible. Just pop it out everday, wash it up, dry it and give it back. You can clean it with a 10% bleach/water mixture, rinse well with a vinegar rinse, rinse with hot water, dry, and let him at it again :wink:

Just so you are prepared, usually this action is followed by your lovie humping/mating with an object or person also. Again, it's just nature taking it's course. He/she is going through a hormonal period, and this all will lessen from time to time, but prepare for the duration :rolleyes:

acaptiva
11-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Is he bobbing his head? If yes, then it sounds like your Mr. Peaches is regurgitating on the new toy. It's quite alright. He's just showing affection to his new toy. You will need to wash the toy, don't leave it in the cage for long periods of time - bacteria can grow. It will be ok to give the toy back to him after it's cleaned & dried. :)
Thank you for reply-- and so quickly. I was honestly thinking of giving Mr. Peacher away, because I was so repulsed. But now I see that he's just being a lovie little kid.

Joanie Noel
11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Glad you got things figured out. I just wanted to say that I love the name Mr. Peacher! :D

- Joanie

Paulette
11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Thank you for reply-- and so quickly. I was honestly thinking of giving Mr. Peacher away, because I was so repulsed.

This is exactly why there are so many birds in shelters.....people just don't understand birdie nature.....they either think the bird has gone mad or are repulsed.....so I'm glad you asked this question.....and I'm glad that I too found this board....it is so cool how we can all learn from each other. :wink:

Lori
11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Wow,
I've been reading just about everything on this sight for the last couple of months. This is the first time I have heard about this. I'm so glad to know before Willow starts something like that. Thanks for the question and answers.

butterfly1061
11-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Lori,

My Molly does this to me quite a lot. He is soooo bonded to me and sees me as his mate. He's never actually regurgitated anything out on me, but he goes through the motion. I feel flattered that he feels this way about me and I tell him "I love" him too. You just can't help who you fall in love with, huh? :D

Z28Taxman
11-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Lori,

My Molly does this to me quite a lot. He is soooo bonded to me and sees me as his mate. He's never actually regurgitated anything out on me, but he goes through the motion. I feel flattered that he feels this way about me and I tell him "I love" him too. You just can't help who you fall in love with, huh? :D

Ditto does that too gacks to me but never actually regurgitates. He does that on is Knotrageous toy.