PDA

View Full Version : Need advice re lonely male lovebird (not tame).

LovebirdNovice
03-26-2018, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I really hope someone can give us some good advice on how to go about creating a more fulfilling life for our little boy! Please bear with me as this may be a fairly long post; I just want to make sure I give as much background as possible to our dilemma!!

I work for a city farm in London (UK). We mainly have farm animals (sheep, goats, horses, cows,chickens, ducks, alpacas and so on(albeit in small numbers as we have a very small farm) and provide opportunities for city dwellers to experience the sights, sounds (and smells!) of the countryside. Alongside our farm animals we also have a number of smaller animals and an aviary containing a mix of finches, budgies, canaries and cockatiels that all get along really well. A few months back someone came to the farm with a pair of lovebirds in a small cage that they had 'rescued' from the reception desk of a business and asked us to take them on. I should stress we are not a re-homing centre and the only reason we took them in was because I grew up with parents that had multiple aviaries and everything from tiny finches to large parrots so I have a soft spot for 'foreign birds' and felt we could offer them a better existence than a small cage on a reception desk. Despite growing up in that environment my specific bird care knowledge is fairly limited but I did know enough to know not to introduce 'Bonnie & Clyde' into our aviary as I know Lovebirds can be quite terratorial. Instead, we put them into a large flight cage in our farm office where they settled in happily and had space to stretch their wings.

Some time after 'moving in' we noticed that they had started making a nest and mating and not long after that Bonnie (as we had named her) started laying eggs. The first clutch were infertile (we gave them an extra two weeks beyond what we'd researched as the incubation time on the internet just to be sure). A couple of weeks later she laid another clutch but again these didn't hatch. I was worried at this stage about her 'over laying' so we left this clutch for almost a month over time before removing them.

A couple of weeks after removing her eggs she started laying again, the first two eggs were laid with no problem but devastatingly we believe she became egg bound with the third (we tried lubricating her vent and increasing the office temperature (based on advice gleaned again from the internet) but sadly she passed away a couple of days later.

So now, we are left with a lonely male. He isn't bonded to us and, as he isn't at all tame, is probably not likely to at this stage? Our intention was always to try to raise the money (we are a charity) to build a separate aviary for Bonnie and Clyde to live in and we have now raised the funds required to do this. We could keep Clyde in his cage in the office and let him live alone but we'd really like to offer him something more from life. We've read lots of articles on line about introducing a new partner but want to see if there may be 'another way' and this is where we'd like the advice of people more experienced - hence joining this group.

What we'd like to do is build the new aviary and then, ideally, create a small colony of Lovebirds (including Clyde) to live in it. So here are our questions:

Is this a feasible option?

Should we try to find a number of individual lovebirds that don't 'know' each other? (We're thinking of having a colony of three or four pairs)?

Should we put them all into the new aviary at the same time so there are no territorial issues and let them find their own pairings or will we need to keep them in separate cages but in close proximity to let them get used to each other first?

Are we being completely naive in thinking we can make this work?

It's probably obvious by now that we need all the advice we can get - thank you for taking the time to read this post if you've got this far and please give us any advice you can on how to best go about getting Clyde a new friend and, ideally, a group of new friends!

Thank you,
Carol

linda040899
03-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Hi Carol and welcome to Lovebirds Plus Community! I'm a retired lovebird breeder and I can certainly offer suggestions based on my own experience. Kudos to you for taking in Bonnie and Clyde (cute names!) to provide them with a better life.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost Bonnie to egg binding. Should you ever suspect that happening again, please seek the professional services of an avian vet. The egg needs help to be laid and if not, it acts like a plug, blocking eliminating which leads to toxic build up in the hen's body and eventually killing her. The survival rate is excellent as long as you act quickly.

Since you know that Clyde is a male, your options for a new companion are a bit more flexible. You can pair him with a known female (quarantine for a minimum of 30 days) should you want to breed. If not, you can introduce him to another male and males get along quite well! As for the flight aviary, you need to acquire all the pairs you want to put in it and introduce them to the cage all at once. I would put bonded pairs in the flight aviary, as pairs will stay bonded. You need even number of birds, no extras unless you happen to have a bonded trio, which I've had in the past. What I'm saying is that everyone needs to be pairs. After that, watch to make sure everyone gets along. If so, the aviary is now closed to new pairs. You can take out, but not add. If you want a breeding flight, hand all boxes at the same level, near the top of the aviary, and on different walls. You want at least one or two extra boxes just in case one pair decides to dominate more than one box! I had one pair take over 3 boxes and my other pair was not allowed to occupy any of the boxes at all!

Hopefully, this information will be helpful!

LovebirdNovice
03-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for this; we were devastated to lose Bonnie and really want to make it up to Clyde! So, just to be sure we get it right... we need to find a mate for Clyde (I am presuming sit them in cages next door to each other whilst we go through the 30 day quarantine period?). At the same time try to acquire two or three more (already) bonded pairs and also keep them in cages for the quarantine period. Then when the quarantine period is over put Clyde and his new pal in a cage together to check that they do bond. Then when we're confident of that introduce everyone into the new aviary at the same time (making sure there's an excess of nesting boxes available in case any of them want to breed (not that we mind either way, although babies are always an exciting plus!).

Does that all sound right?

If we can't find pre-bonded pairs, could we introduce a relevant number of single birds and hope they form pairs or is that too much of a risk?

One other question; if any of them do breed, should we remove the babies when they're fledged and feeding themselves or would it be ok to leave them in the aviary to grow the colony. The aviary we're building will be around 1.5 meters wide x 6 meters long x 2.5 meters high.

I'm really grateful for all the advice you can give us.

linda040899
03-26-2018, 11:29 AM
With quarantine, the new birds need to be in a separate air space away from your existing birds. Clyde won't meet his potential new mate for a minimum of 30 days. Longer quarantine is better because at least one disease I can think of has a 45 day incubation period. Buy from reputable sources! Lovebirds can carry PBFD silently until stress causes them to shed the virus. There is a test for PBFD and it may be worth it to check each bird you get. Don't buy random birds without knowing the genders. You at least need them sexed so you know what you have. I've had pairs of hens that get along quite well but not usually in flight settings. Some lovebirds can be genetically sexed (sex linked mutations: Ino, Cinnamon and Opaline). Others need DNA or surgical sexing.

After quarantine, you can put Clyde and his new potential mate in side by side cages for introductions.

LovebirdNovice
03-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Thanks Linda,

One final question; Clyde is a peach faced lovebird. Ideally we'd like to have at least two different species in the new aviary; is it ok to mix different lovebird breeds or would it be better to keep just to peach faced? If it is ok to mix them up; are there obvious good/bad combinations?

linda040899
03-26-2018, 03:06 PM
There are 9 different species of lovebird and each species has a different personality. You can breed mutations of the same species but not different species. I know it's done but that doesn't make it acceptable. Peachfaced/Eye-ring hybrids produce sterile babies. However, eye-ring x eye-ring hybrids will produce offspring that can reproduce and what you've done is muddied the genes of the individual species. For instance, Blue Fischer's is a hybrid between Masked and Fischer's species. The early hybrids had dark masks and didn't look much like Fischer's. It took quite a bit of selective breeding to have Blue Fischer's that have the Fischer's look. I, personally, don't do it. I've seen flight aviaries set up with Peachfaced and Eye-ring species in the same flight but I prefer not to do it. Their nesting habits are different so I just avoid the situation.