PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice with New (Shy) Baby

Obie
04-10-2018, 06:59 PM
I am a new parrot mom! Oberon (or Obie for short) has been home 3 days as of today. I drove 7 hours on Saturday to pick him up and he is such a cute little bug.

He's 4 months old and was apparently handfed from 2 weeks old. He understandably was very comfortable at the breeders', and would step up as best he could (he hadn't quite mastered the command yet, but tried his best) and would let me scoop him up and give him scritches and flip him on his back. He was fine with all this. But here it's like he's a completely different bird. I understand how frightening it must be to be plopped in a different cage larger than what he was used to, in a different atmosphere, but he's quite skittish. He will move away from my hand when it's in the cage to change his water/food (he won't run away, but he will look a bit wary.) Today and yesterday I've been holding millet sprays inside his cage and he's felt comfortable to stand on my hand, but only for a few minutes at a time if that. I make sure he's always close to a perch so he can leave if he feels like it. I've been sitting through bites that I don't think are aggressive but it's hard to tell. I work with him about 4 times a day for about 10 minutes at a time, or whenever he decides he needs a break, and conveniently his favourite perch is right beside the chair where I study, so he gets to spend time beside me most of the day.

I leave the cage door open for him and have a perch and some toys from the breeders' attached to the inside, but he still hasn't expressed any interest in coming out and I'm a bit afraid that he may end up cage bound. I've also read that you shouldn't make the cage "too comfortable" to coax them to come outside- is this the case? Because if so, I feel like I've done that, lol. He seems very content in there and is tearing up a toy and grinding his beak as I type this.

As well, I was going to wait until the summer to get a parrot (as I will be leaving for 2 weeks mid May) but I saw Obie and it was love at first sight. Will this time away set our progress back, or do they tend to pick up again fairly quickly?

Any words of wisdom or tips appreciated! I know patience is key, but it's a little disheartening to see him like this when all of my other friends' birds were tame immediately upon coming home. I can't wait for him to be comfortable and snuggly like he was when I met him.

http://www.parrotforums.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=2954
http://www.parrotforums.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=2952

linda040899
04-11-2018, 07:46 AM
Obie is a real beauty!

As you found, his behavior changed after he left the breeder's facility. He was comfortable there and felt safe in his world. When he left with you, that changed. Parrots learn trust by experience so he has no idea if he's safe or if he's going to be your next meal. (Birds are prey animals in the wild so this is instinct.) You will find, as he realizes you mean him no harm, he will relax and then the fun begins. :) His cage is HIS home and he feels safe there. Lovebirds are naturally curious and even my retired breeders will venture out if given the opportunity!! Gotta go and explore the outside world and see what's there!!

A vacation in May may have an impact, as he will not be sure if you are gone permanently or if you will be back. If he's particularly attached to you by then, he may ignore you just to let you know he's miffed! Do you have someone who will be taking care of him in your absence? What are your plans for that?

Obie
04-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Thank you for your reply Linda!

A friend who has lots of experience with parrots will be taking care of him at his place along with my other birds. I’m hoping the move won’t be too stressful for him.

And what I’d most like to know is, am I essentially doing this right? Is there anything different I could be doing with him, or is this okay in the meantime?

linda040899
04-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Glad you have an experienced bird person taking care of your flock. :) As long as you are following his lead and not asking him to do things he's not ready to do, you are fine. Each bird is different and what works with one, may not work for another. As he feels more comfortable, you will find he will start to come over to you when you sit by his cage. He will want to eat if he sees you eating. Lovebirds are very social and he will come to you. Let that happen.