PDA

View Full Version : Getting lovebirds used to a new home

Bk12
08-19-2018, 01:19 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering if you have any advice about helping a lovebird adjust to a new space. My little guy was living in my parents’ house, but due to some unforeseen circumstances, he’s going to have to come live in my apartment for at least a few weeks. He’ll have much less space to fly around in, and he won’t have all his favorite spots to perch on. I want to make sure that the transition is as easy and happy as possible for him. Any tips?

droppy
08-20-2018, 06:08 AM
Hi,

First, I would not let a lovie to fly in a new space, immediately after relocation. The lovies are very curious, they will study the surroundings from the cage at the beginning, and even when you'll let them fly, be sure you'll be in the same room with them, to help them or to ensure that they won't get hurt.

Give them something they are familiar with, I hope they will be in the same cage, in a new home. We used to relocate our lovies to our parents in the past, when we were leaving in holidays. We didn't let them fly at parents' house, everything was ok. Now, as we have a bigger cage for some years, the parents are coming to us to take care of our lovies when we are going in holidays.

linda040899
08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
First, I would not let a lovie to fly in a new space, immediately after relocation. The lovies are very curious, they will study the surroundings from the cage at the beginning, and even when you'll let them fly, be sure you'll be in the same room with them, to help them or to ensure that they won't get hurt.
I have to 100% agree with this! New surroundings are challenging because the lovie is not familiar with the new home layout and they can get into trouble all too quickly, especially if there is no one around to supervise out of cage time. I'm currently moving my entire flock from one house to another and mine are all in their cages so they have time to acclimate to their new home and get used to a routine. I'm making sure I have plenty of their favorite foods and I strictly observe sunset to sunrise bedtime. Mine go to bed when the sun goes down and their breakfast starts about 30 minutes before dawn. Whatever the usual schedule is, try to follow it closely.

Hope this is helpful.