PDA

View Full Version : Lighting....

Z28Taxman
08-28-2018, 04:35 PM
I came home to day and it looked like a disco in here. DJ's light was dying and doing the florescent tube death flicker. no problem, a few years ago I bought a whole box of 'em from avitec for Ditto.

Well I only had 2 left (now one) so ok, I'll order more. Oops. avitec doesn't have them listed anymore. google search for avitech lights took me back to the site and got me to the lamp but they don't have it. now I have to find a source for 18 inch 15 watt full spectrum tubes. >:>:

Everything I find now is just compact fluorescent and that won't cut it.

linda040899
08-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Try a site called Full Spectrum Solutions. Everything they have is full spectrum and I'm getting LED bulbs from them. I still have 2 24" bulbs from Avi-Tech and I guess I'm glad now that I ordered them when I did.

Z28Taxman
08-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Try a site called Full Spectrum Solutions. Everything they have is full spectrum and I'm getting LED bulbs from them. I still have 2 24" bulbs from Avi-Tech and I guess I'm glad now that I ordered them when I did.

do the led's emit UV?

They don't seem to have anything that will fit my current 18" fixtures

linda040899
08-29-2018, 10:22 AM
Yes. LEDs will emit UV. It has to do with the color of the bulb and the CRI. I used their bulbs all over the house I'm going to sell and it made quite a difference! You may have to change light fixtures but these bulbs will work for what you need. The company I work for just changed out all of their lighting for bulbs from Full Spectrum Solutions.

Z28Taxman
08-29-2018, 12:03 PM
My office switched to led's a few years ago. It's too **** bright in here but I don't miss the flickering and buzzing of the florescents.

I found some arcadia avain tubes that are exaclty what I need. (15 watt 18 inches) but amazon won't ship them to the US. >:

linda040899
08-29-2018, 12:40 PM
You have got to be kidding!!! I would have thought that Amazon would ship anything anywhere as long as they make money!!!!

At my new house, lighting is an issue for me. I'm used to full spectrum and all the bulbs in the fixtures are candelabra base!! The bulbs I have are regular base...... Gotta change out all the fan light kits or buy new bulbs! And that's just part of the updating we will have to do..........

Z28Taxman
08-29-2018, 12:44 PM
You have got to be kidding!!! I would have thought that Amazon would ship anything anywhere as long as they make money!!!!

At my new house, lighting is an issue for me. I'm used to full spectrum and all the bulbs in the fixtures are candelabra base!! The bulbs I have are regular base...... Gotta change out all the fan light kits or buy new bulbs! And that's just part of the updating we will have to do..........

you'd think. arcadia stuff is all but not in the US. I may try the zoo med floor lamp that amazon has for $40. It uses compact florescent but it's 6 feet tall so it'll reach up to be above the cage and should throw enough light. I don't have enough room at DJ's cage for anything longer than the 18 inch one that's there now.

droppy
08-29-2018, 02:04 PM
My office switched to led's a few years ago. It's too **** bright in here but I don't miss the flickering and buzzing of the florescents.

I found some arcadia avain tubes that are exaclty what I need. (15 watt 18 inches) but amazon won't ship them to the US. >:

They are not delivering that to my country either, and I live in Europe :) Anyway, I saw the same product on ebay.com being sold by a german company and shipping worldwide.

droppy
09-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Looking for some full spectrum light, I've found this one: http://www.featherbrite.com/featherbrite-bulbs.html , unfortunately they do not deliver to Europe.

linda040899
09-28-2018, 11:34 AM
I've used a couple of their lights before and they are good. I would do a search for Featherbrite lighting and see if anyone else will ship to Europe. To be full spectrum, the light color needs to be 5550K with a CRI of at least 90. You may be able to find something locally.

droppy
09-28-2018, 01:04 PM
From what I've read, the UV-B level should be very small, close to 0 if possible. I was able to find some bulbs in Europe with CRI value around 90 but no mention with regards to UV-B. Also, generally the bulbs I found are for reptiles and those are not good for birds.

droppy
01-23-2020, 10:53 AM
I'm updating this old thread with a question on lighting....

Do you think that this special bulbs for birds are bad to their health? I've bought some time ago one for our lovies and we used it one hour per day, but the last vet we visited this week with Bella, told us that this kind of bulbs are not good for thee birds and this is why AVI-TECh does not sells them anymore.

This is what we've been using until now: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B074XL8TCR/ref=pe_3044141_185740131_TE_item

Any opinions?

linda040899
01-24-2020, 01:31 PM
Avi-Tech went out of business when the owner died a couple of years ago. I was devastated because I used a lot of their products. :( Since I can't get lighting from Avi-Tech, my next choice is Full Spectrum Solutions. Check there and see if they have what you need. Theirs are true full spectrum lighting and I've gotten good results with their bulbs. What I found is, instead of using a 60W bulb, 40W will give you the same results, just not as bright.

droppy
01-25-2020, 01:28 AM
Thank you, Linda.

The vet said that the full spectrum light could cause Bella's sight issues and not to use them. I'll try and check if I can find that brand in Europe.