PDA

View Full Version : Princesse's Vet visit.

AlovebirdMom
05-14-2019, 08:10 AM
HI Linda and all.

I took Princesse in yesterday because her beak was peeling just above where it grows long. Vet trimmed it for me.
and also said she lost muscle mass since last visit (11 months ago) and I should increase her protein intake. Gave me some nutri-an cakes and said to try to give her eggs and mix pellets into it since she stopped eating pellets. (Which might be due to her beak. Could be painful so she doesnt like them anymore.) I dont think she'll do eggs but I'll try.

Also prescribed quinoa which Princesse does like. Also put her on Meloxicam to help with any fluid retention she might get and pain. Sometimes tumor may make fluid retention a real problem that has to be drained every 2 wks at $60 a pop. :omg:

But the doctor said Ive done an amazing job since its been 1 yr 10 months since the diagnosis. I think it's all on Princesse and her tough little constitution.

I think the meloxicam makes her tired so Im going to try and give it later in the day or she wont move at all. As it is she has slowed down though her appetite is the same and I worry about fat buildup.

Thats it for now.

Ellen

linda040899
05-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Quinoa is a fantastic food! Unfortunately, it doesn't contain much protein. I cook mine and I add bone broth to the liquid I use (2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa. You can use smaller amounts.) The quinoa abosorbs the liquid and there's more nutrition. Have you thought about Lafeber's Nutriberries? If the berry is too hard for her to break, they can be crumbled and they contain a LOT of nutrition. If you want to try scrambled egg, roll the egg in pellet dust or something else she likies to encourage her to eat them. Sometimes food disguised becomes something they really like but wouldn't eat initially because they didn't recognize it as edible!

I think the vet report is really great, considering what you are dealing with. You are doing a great job, Ellen, and I know you love Princesse very much!