PDA

View Full Version : My mother has to re-home Yoda

YodaBird
07-20-2019, 08:26 PM
Hi, all.
It absolutely kills me to say this, but my 90-year-old mother will be moving to an active-senior community (which she likes a great deal), and unfortunately she has to give away Yoda, the biting bundle of love we both adore. I cannot take her because I'm moving to a very small room out of state.

I realize that the best option is to KEEP Yoda ourselves, if at all possible, especially since she's bonded to my mom. But I'm reaching out to learn what I should look for in a potential new home (single house or apartment) or a community (avian sanctuaries or bird store).

Might anyone know of some potentially good places in the Los Angeles area, or sources where good bird lovers are looking to re-home Yoda? What questions should I ask, and what should I look for in a new home? (This will be especially important should we resort to using Craigslist.)

Will returning Yoda to the parrot store be a torturous experience for her? Can she ever rebond with anyone else?
I feel as if we'll be ripping her little heart out, and I feel REALLY guilty.

Any information would be most helpful.
Thanks!

- Yoda's human brother

linda040899
07-21-2019, 12:15 PM
Give me a little bit of time to think this through. Considering lovebirds can be noisy, a single home would be my first thought so there are no issues with noise complaints. A home with another lovebird or possible feathered companion would be nice, again if possible.

Don't know that I would consider a pet shop and Craig's List can be a nightmare, especially since it's hard to find honest people who will actually do what they say they will!

Ideas from anyone else would be welcome!

YodaBird
07-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Thank you, Linda!

I'm going to contact my avian vet in the area who has seen Yoda. Maybe he has some ideas as well.
Much appreciated!!

linda040899
07-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Checking with your vet's office is an excellent idea! I know you want a good home for Yoda and she deserves the best you can find. Just be patient and your gut feelings will tell you how to proceed.

YodaBird
07-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Thank you.
I'll call the vet TODAY, and I have three weeks to find a good home. No rush.

Much appreciated!
Larry

linda040899
07-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Check your private messages, please.