PDA

View Full Version : Help with identifying mutation

Christine9
11-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Tomorrow I might be getting two new lovies (yea!). I was just trying to figure out the technical names for their colors- I am rather new at determining the different peachfaced mutations. Anyway, one of them is an orange faced olive (it has the dark grey rump that double dark factors have, so it is definitely an olive). The other, I believe, is a orange faced lutino, I just haven't been able to find a good picture of what a OF lutino rump looks like. This one has a white rump. The body is yellow and the face and part of the tail feathers are orange. It also has red eyes. So, am I correct in assuming it is a OF lutino?

Jezz
11-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Yup, it sounds like a OF Olive and an OF Lutino.

Lutino and Creamino have white rumps, but in different light they sometimes show up as light blue :)

Can't wait to see some photos when you get the new birds

Christine9
11-12-2005, 06:09 AM
The lutino does look like it has a hint of color in its rump, though it looks to be more violet than blue. Then again, maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part- is it even possible for a lutino to have a violet factor? I really know nothing about mutations.

I will definitely post pics soon.

butterfly1061
11-12-2005, 06:40 AM
Actually the rump feathers are iridescent in color. Beautiful, huh? I have a PF Lutino & a Creamino and IMHO they are gorgeous :D I think you can see pictures of the different mutations here on the board under Breeding in the Genetics section. :)

linda040899
11-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Christine,
Sounds like what you will be getting is an OF Lutino. Ino will mask (hide) violet so if this bird is a violet, you would not see it until you breed the bird. The "wash" of color on the rump feathering is normal. OF Lutino is the green series version of OF ino. In blue series, OF = Yellowface.

Christine9
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, for an update, we were unable to get those two particular lovies, but we got two other beautiful ones instead. One is a jade, I know that for sure. The other- I don't even have a clue, but I have never seen one like it. I was told it was some type of american cinnamon, but even then she wasn't positive. I have a couple pics, but they are pretty bad since he or she was in the cage when I took them. (I don't want to take him/her out right now- they are getting used to their cages.) Anyway, (we'll call him a him for now) he has a very pale yellow belly and forehead, though I am expecting his forehead will turn peach color, since I have never heard of a peachfaced with a yellow forehead. The rump is dark grey, so he has to have a double dark factor. The rest of the body is a greenish-grey with a little bit of yellow mixed it. Here are they two pics of the cinnamon?, so if anyone has any ideas, I would love to know. Oh, and they are 3 months old, so they will get brighter I am sure as they get older.

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/7531/dsc016760uo.jpg

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/848/dsc016778yj.jpg

LauraO
11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Your baby looks like Joanie's Maple, which I believe is a blue series double dark Orange- face. If you look through the photo forum Joanie has several albums that include Maple.

Jezz
11-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Without being able to see the flight feathers, i will take a stab at it and say it is a.......Double Dark Factor Blue Series American Cinnamon Pied, or put it simply, Slate American Cinnamon Pied :)

linda040899
11-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Laura,
This bird does look a lot like Maple. That would make it a Yellowface Slate (Orangeface in blue series). It's not cinnamon, as the coloring is too dark even for a cinnamon slate. Nice baby! I'll be interested to see the coloring as the molt progresses.

Christine9
11-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Laura,
This bird does look a lot like Maple. That would make it a Yellowface Slate (Orangeface in blue series). It's not cinnamon, as the coloring is too dark even for a cinnamon slate. Nice baby! I'll be interested to see the coloring as the molt progresses.

I have to agree about the cinnamon; I am no expert, but I've never seen one that dark either. I was actually suprised the girl told me that, but I don't think she knows much about genetics, because she didn't know what dark factors are. A yellow faced slate would make sense, I just didn't know yellow face was a possibility, so I just figured her face color would change. But if it stays yellow, I am psyched!

I can't wait to see her color in the coming months either. Even the girls at the store made me promise to show them pictures eventually, because they, too, want to see what she ends up looking like.

Thanks guys for the help!

butterfly1061
11-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Oooo, very pretty babies! Congrats :D

Christine9
11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
I finally found a picture of Maple and I have to say my bird looks like a paler version of Maple. I am sure that will brighten up in the coming months. I am curious as to the term yellow faced, because to me it looks like an oranged faced, except with orange only on the brow. But then, what do I know...there are way too many lovebird mutations for me. I wonder how many different color possibilities there are? :confused:

Keltoth
11-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I finally found a picture of Maple and I have to say my bird looks like a paler version of Maple. I am sure that will brighten up in the coming months. I am curious as to the term yellow faced, because to me it looks like an oranged faced, except with orange only on the brow. But then, what do I know...there are way too many lovebird mutations for me. I wonder how many different color possibilities there are? :confused:

You are correct! Yellowface is simply the Orangefaced mutation in a blue-series bird, which gives it the much subdued color that Maple shows.

Christine9
11-13-2005, 02:19 AM
You are correct! Yellowface is simply the Orangefaced mutation in a blue-series bird, which gives it the much subdued color that Maple shows.

Thanks, that really helps clarify things! You guys are just so helpful.
:D

Another question, though, is it possible for him/her to be a yellowface slate pied? I was just wondering because there is also yellow mixed in on the back. It's very pretty, actually, because it kind of forms a V. I'll try to post better pics soon.

Keltoth
11-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks, that really helps clarify things! You guys are just so helpful.
:D

Another question, though, is it possible for him/her to be a yellowface slate pied? I was just wondering because there is also yellow mixed in on the back. It's very pretty, actually, because it kind of forms a V. I'll try to post better pics soon.

Sure, there's no reason why a bird could not be a Pied Yellowfaced Slate. If the Slate coloring is not consistent and there is yellow through parts of it, it would seem a safe bet to assume the bird is Pied. Hopefully, if your Slate really is Pied, it will also get some white primary flights on the ends of his wings. The white flight feathers are an unmistakable Pied trait and is quite striking on a Slate lovebird.

Sound slike a really beautiful bird! I look forward to seeing more pictures of him and the characteristics you are describing.

-Eric

Joanie Noel
11-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Awwww Christine! I was so happy when I saw your photo! I never see birds that look like my Maple and when I saw your picture I went, "It's a baby Maple!" :lol She was over two years old when I got her, so now I somewhat know what she looked like as a baby. :) I thought I saw a hint of pied on your lovie. Even prettier! And you said you have a jade also? Your pair is probably going to look like mine. LOL. Slate and green bird. :D

- Joanie

Christine9
11-13-2005, 06:08 PM
I managed to take a couple more pictures of them on the playgym. You can tell that they weren't handled enough. But they are calming down nicely and learning step-ups. And they really enjoy sitting on people. Here is a pic of the two of them:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/4295/dsc016815wo.jpg

And this one shows the yellow mixed into the slate one's back, which makes me assume she is a pied:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8531/dsc016875qe.jpg

Joanie Noel
11-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Awwwwww, they're so cute! And yep, the slate lovie is pied. They're cute together! I must've missed this -- what are their names? :)

- Joanie

Christine9
11-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I haven't named them yet. I am waiting until I know their sexes. Unless I can come up with names that are non gender specific. We'll see...

butterfly1061
11-13-2005, 07:35 PM
What a couple of cutie pies!! The slate has some gorgeous coloring. :)

Mummieeva
11-13-2005, 09:17 PM
:eek: I want that birdie on the right..lol. I agree a beautiful slate pied. if you need help on names just ask..lol I would love to help. :D

Steph-who has many babysites on her favorites list jsut to name birds.lol