PDA

View Full Version : To clip or not to clip wings initially

Julinka
10-13-2020, 02:04 PM
I acquired a 1.5 year old lovebird that needed a new home. Not tame, was never allowed to fly outside of the cage. He's in quarantine right now because I also have a parrotlet and two parakeets. But when quarantine is over I expect to let him out of his cage and am wondering if his wings should be clipped? Or would that just complicate matters for him? He's doing well adjusting to his new home and me unless I try to get him to step up. 🤣 He's light green with an orange face. I think he's a cinnamon? Well he's very pretty anyway. I so love the sounds he makes and he and the parrotlet answer each other back and forth. I lost my other lovebird a year ago suddenly and unexpectedly and was so devastated it took me this long to get another one. My parrotlet used to hang out with him outside their cages so I am hoping that happens again. 😊

linda040899
10-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Congratulations on your new lovebird!!! I have other parrots but I have had lovebirds for most of my life and I will always have at least 1!! :)

Wing clipping is a matter of personal choice, and I don't push it unless it's absolutely necessary. The object of clipping is to limit, not eliminate, flight. The bird should be able to take off, fly horizontally for a short distance and then glide to the landing surface, usually a floor. Since most birds don't like being on the floor, it's usually fairly easy to convince them to step up onto a perch, if you offer one. If he's in his cage, try offering a perch for stepping up and use the step up command so he knows what you expect. I use it with mine all the time and sometimes they tell me step up before I can tell them! :lol Should you decide to clip flight feathers, make sure it's both wings and I usually start with just 4, maybe 5 primaries and see how well the lovebird can fly. You can always clip one more if necessary but they can't be put back if too many are clipped. They simply have to molt out and be replaced.

If you can share a picture of your lovebird, I may be able to tell you which mutation. To share photos here, you need to upload the picture to an online storage site such as Imgur and then copy/paste the image URL here. One color characteristic of the cinnamon mutation is that they have tan colored flight feathers and a tan wash to their feet.

Julinka
10-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Thanks! I know what you mean about lovebirds. They are charming and very happy birds.

Here's a Dropbox link to his (Peaches) photo.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7vshei1akhhs25b/AAD8DQVlF9OJX_Da7UJo0ANNa?dl=0

I think I'm leaning towards not clipping because it will just lengthen his time learning to fly and maybe frustrate him since he's not a baby anymore. I've had him one week and he started eating his first day here which I find incredible. Most new birds take longer than that. I'll try getting him to step up on a perch instead of my finger. My parrotlet is fairly tame, sits on my shoulder and I can play with him but when I ask him to step up on my finger he runs around his cage like a crazy bird. So I won't be terribly upset if Peaches doesn't like stepping up either.

Anyway, thank you!

linda040899
10-14-2020, 11:29 AM
Peaches is a beautiful lovie! The mutation is Aqua (Dutch Blue in American terms) and he/she is blue series. Green series lovies have the reddish peach brows and bibs.

I clip some of the flights of birds in my flock but it's strictly for safety purposes. My 2 green cheeked conures fly around like little jets and I have 2 macaws in the same room so I need to limit where the conures can go! I added a female parrotlet to my family about 4 months ago and she is absolutely fearless. When inside of her cage, she goes into attack mode if a hand enters her home. She literally destroys anything and everything in her cage, including perches! So fiesty for such a tiny parrot!!! :lol

Julinka
10-15-2020, 09:50 AM
Thank you!

How funny about your parrotlet! Mine talks some in a low gravelly voice and sounds like a little gangbanger. He also laughs when he feels like it. He's 12 now. I think they are extremely territorial. I'm really hoping he and Peaches will enjoy hanging out together during their out time. They saw each other from a distance and Peaches looked like he didn't know what to think. He also saw my parrotlet on my shoulder and that probably confused him even more.

So I decided NOT to clip his wings.

You have lots of different varieties of birds. The bird in your avatar is your parrotlet?

linda040899
10-15-2020, 12:19 PM
Twelve is an impressive age for a parrotlet! I had a Dilute Blue female I lost when she was 10 and missed her so much that I had to get another one! Leia is about 7 months old and is a real character! I've had to make sure all doors that slide up and down are zip tied closed or she's an adept escape artist! She's so tiny she would disappear and be hard to find! Seeing her exiting her cage by herself was only going to happen once on my watch! :lol

The bird in my avatar is an Abyssinian Lovebird. Abyssinians are the largest species of lovebird and very endangered in their natural habitat in Africa. I've bred them in the past and they are very different than any of the other species.

All you can do with Peaches is follow your own instincts. You know your birds better than anyone else and I'm neither pro nor con on this topic. The right answer is the one that works for your individual bird. :)

Chances are Peaches is learning by watching your parrotlet on your shoulder. Your parrotlet is comfortable with you and that's a good learning example!

Julinka
10-16-2020, 09:59 PM
Never heard of that type of lovebird but it is pretty!

I'm hoping my parrotlet lives a long time. He was diagnosed with liver disease when he was 8 so he eats lots of human food.Vet said quinoa, no rice or corn. He also eats low fat pellets and some parakeet seed, not the cockatiel seeds that were recommended to me when I bought him. He loves figs, tomatoes, berries of all kinds, and fresh sweet peppers. He's a real character and a little buddy. And he has a good strong painful bite! He never tries to open his cage doors but when he was on antibiotics and I didn't let him out for a few days, when he felt better he started running around and said “Let me out!” I hate to think of life without him. ❤️ This is the only bad thing about pets, losing them.

Thanks for your advice. Peaches is still nervous when I get close to his cage but he responds by chirping when I talk to him. He seems to be fitting in from a distance and getting used to life here. I'm trying to get him used to fresh food but he seems to be eating some pellets along with seeds. Lots for a new bird to take in!

linda040899
10-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Since you had your parrotlet diagnosed with liver disease at the age of 8, had you thought to re-test to see if the liver has healed? My Congo Grey was diagnosed with the beginnings of liver disease many years ago, and my avian vet treated it. So far, it's not come back again.

Julinka
10-20-2020, 09:19 PM
Sorry I took so long to reply. Busy few days.
I didn't take him back. I just put him on the recommended diet and saw him become more active. That's all the vet recommended to do, no meds. He said he does not draw blood from parrotlets if they are acting normally. He said I would have to trim his beak probably for the rest of his life from time to time. This was Scott McDonald. I had taken Leo another avian vet who didn't seem to have much of a clue about diets.
Later I read an article about the danger of drawing blood from parrotlets. They are so tiny, if a little too much blood is drawn they can die very quickly. I wonder if he could tell from a hands on examination if the liver is healed. He diagnosed it by simply examining him.

linda040899
10-20-2020, 09:32 PM
Scott McDonald is very well known in avian circles and I would trust what he tells you. Once you trim a parrot's beak, you normally have to do it from time to time. I'm glad he's doing well! That's what counts. :)

I agree that taking blood from parrotlets can be very dangerous. They are so small that they don't have much blood. I know that more than 4 ml blood loss with a lovebird is fatal.

Julinka
10-24-2020, 09:35 PM
I know, Dr. Scott is a great vet. He gave me suggestions for Leo's diet I had never heard before and that go against some of what I have read elsewhere but it seems to work for Leo. He got more active. I'm blessed he is doing so well. 🤞🙏

Does your parrotlet REALLY like to eat? Leo LOVES to eat. He seems more interested in food than other small birds I've had. He even asks what I'm eating sometimes!

Do you have any suggestions for getting an adult lovebird interested in healthy food? Peaches does eat pellets and seeds. He just started eating apples but doesn't seem to want to touch any other fresh food so far. He and Leo chirp back and forth quite a bit. So far, so good.

Thanks for the suggestions you have given me! do you have a pet lovebird right now?

linda040899
10-25-2020, 07:58 AM
Does your parrotlet REALLY like to eat? Leo LOVES to eat. He seems more interested in food than other small birds I've had.
Leia is very food driven and I swear she lives to eat rather than eats to live!! :lol She's not shy about new food, either. If it's in her cage and it's edible, it disappears! She's also the biggest shredder I have. She can put some of my lovebirds to shame! My Safe Bird Store has a nice collection of shreddables and I have to make sure I keep a good stock.

I have several pet lovebirds. One is my senior citizen, Echo, who is my 17 yr old male Abyssinian Lovebird. I also have a pair of Peachfaces named Mr. and Mrs. Rio. He is an Medium Orangefaced Green and she is a Yellowfaced Opaline Blue. They are older and moving them from one house to another got tricky when Mrs. Rio stressed out and I almost lost her. I moved them after dark and she rode in the van with me (I was not driving) and I kept her under my shirt so she couldn't see what was going on. Both Echo and the Rios live in cages where I see them all day long and I can make sure everything is OK with them. I keep tabs on my entire flock each day but these 3 are my very specials.

Lovebirds are not big fruit eaters, although some will eat it. I usually start with veggies (shredded carrot is usually my starter) and just keep offering the choice one each day. Most of the time, they will finally sample what I put in their dish. If it's been there for more than 4 hours, I take it out and either wait for the next day or replace with fresh. The ones I use the most are fresh shredded carrots, kale, collard greens, string beans, broccoli and sugar snap peas. I rarely use spinach or parsley because both are high in oxalic acid and will bind usable calcium.

Julinka
10-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Wow! You have a lot of knowledge. 😲 A 17 year old lovebird! Congratulations!

Peaches really likes apples. He wouldn't eat them cut in small pieces in his food dish but I put a slice between bars and he goes for it every time now.In fact he seems to like apples so much I might use them as a treat to help him get tame. Maybe I put too many different items in his food dish at one time so I will try one at a time. At least that way I can find out what he likes.

My parakeets like parsley. That's not so good? Altho it seems they nibble on it and enjoy taking a bath in the water that's on the parsley.

Leo shreds paper. He loves paper towels! He hardly notices toys except for a couple of his favorites. One is the top half of a yellow plastic easter egg which he is very fond of. He throws it around and rests next to it. They are little characters, aren't they?

I didn't realize birds would get that stressed out about moving. I haven't moved for a long time and only had cats when I did. They didn't like it much either until they adjusted. It's a good thing Mrs.Rio recovered. I'm curious what you did to help her recover and how could you tell it was stress? They are so fragile.

Thanks! Have a nice evening.

linda040899
10-31-2020, 07:18 AM
I didn't realize birds would get that stressed out about moving. I haven't moved for a long time and only had cats when I did. They didn't like it much either until they adjusted. It's a good thing Mrs.Rio recovered. I'm curious what you did to help her recover and how could you tell it was stress? They are so fragile.
I could tell Mrs. Rio was very stress because she started convulsing. I didn't think too much about her stressing out on me until we started to move them. None of my other lovebirds reacted that strongly and I knew if I didn't pick her up, she would have died. Once she felt safe, she calmed down. Whenever I move my birds, I always do it after dark. That way, it's harder to see what's going on around them. Here at my new home, I have a huge Florida room for my larger parrots and I converted a 4th bedroom into space for my lovebirds. It took a few weeks for everyone to settle down and accept their new environment.

Birds can be very fragile, yes, and each one will let you know how they feel differently. The key is knowing your own bird and what's "normal."

I don't think I have any lovebirds that don't like to shred! If it can be chewed up, they will do it. Sometimes finding inexpensive things for them to destroy can be a challenge. All my lovebirds also love swings, even my very senior citizens. I found swings made from coconut half shells and mine also like to sleep in them. The shells that I've found will hold one lovebird comfortably but my pairs have found ways for both of them to sit in a shell together. It's comical to see. Of course, getting them to stay there for a picture is mission impossible!!! :lol

Julinka
11-06-2020, 09:25 PM
That was pretty scary! I would probably panic if any of my birds did that. I'm glad she's still good!

I moved Peaches to the room next to my smaller birds and now there is tons of noise. They fly past his cage and look at him from a distance and he gets very excited. He's gradually getting used to me. Leo is talking more which is really cute. He has a low gravelly voice.I haven't worked with Peaches yet to get him to step up because he is just getting used to me getting close to his cage and talking with him. He's very "verbal" and responds when I talk with him. Even if I am in another room and start laughing he will call out or when he hears me get up and move around in the morning. It's really cute. I think he tried to say words a couple of times. I have seen him hover in the air above a perch like a hummingbird and he manages some incredible flying manuvers even in his cage. He will probably adjust well to flying around a room.

Where did you find the coconut half shell perches? My other two lovebirds before Peaches really liked the cozy corners to cuddle in but Peaches pays no attention at all to the one in his cage. He does love his swing and banging on his bell.

Now I'm wondering what kind of larger parrots you have. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions!

linda040899
11-07-2020, 06:24 AM
When I don't make my own coconut shell swings, here is the link to the one I buy: https://www.amazon.com/Bonka-Bird-Toys-african-feeder/dp/B00J1JWX5G/ref=sr_1_42?crid=38VK8KIYDI6JH&dchild=1&keywords=coconut+shell+bird+toy&sprefix=cocont+shell+bird%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-42 I would not have believed that 2 lovebirds can sleep in this but they have found a way!!!! :lol

Lovebirds are very social and it sounds like yours is no exception. He's getting used to being around you, at least from a distance, and he will call out to you when he hears you. I always advocate taking things slowly. Let him come to you. You become part of his flock, even though he's part of your family. Once he can fly outside of his cage, you may find some unusual friendships occurring.

I have 7 larger parrots that include Macaws, Amazons and Greys. I also have a female Plum Head Parakeet. She's a singleton right now, as she lost her mate to heart failure about 6 months ago. I'm looking for a male but those are hard to come by.

Julinka
11-17-2020, 10:09 PM
I so appreciate our advice. ❤️ I will take things slowly. I finally let him out of his cage. He flies like a pro so must have been in a flight cage. (I bought him thru Hoobly and met the seller in a parking lot. I did peek in the box before paying the seller and was surprised to see such a pretty bird!) Anyway clipped wings would have thrown him for a loop. He tries to be friendly with Leo but so far Leo lunges at him, but is letting him get closer by slow degrees. So he hangs out with the parakeets! Not what I expected. I think Leo is letting him know who is at the top of the pecking order.

You have a very diverse bird family! I have to look up plum head parakeets. I don't think I have ever seen one.

I had a little white fronted Amazon I adored. She and I had conversations and she loved to sing. She started having seizures and when I took her to an avian vet ( not Dr. Scott) he misdiagnosed her. When I took her to another avian vet he tried hard to save her but it was too late. Maybe she wouldn't have made it anyway even if the other vet had called it right.I remind myself God is in charge. She was 20.

Thanks for the coconut link. I should probably wait and see what Peaches inclinations are before I order one. So often I buy things and they don't like them.Leo seems to prefer chewing on paper towels I wad up and stick thru the bars of his cage over any chewable toys I buy him. Blessings to you!

Julinka
11-17-2020, 10:14 PM
Actually looking at the coconut shell on Amazon I might just get one next time I order from Amazon. Do you keep it in their cage or outside of the cage?

linda040899
11-18-2020, 05:38 AM
I've found a couple of my birds through Hoobly. Most are reputable, unlike Craig's List where it's hard to find quality!

I'm glad to hear that you let him out of his cage. You can actually train him to go back to his cage on command. All of my larger parrots will do it and I find that if I have a lovebird out, they usually stay in the vicinity of where they live. Parrots are very much creatures of habit! :) :)

My biggest problem with vets has been misdiagnosis. We have a lot of so called avian vets in the area where I live but I only trust one or two. My avian vet is 30 minutes away and I make that trip because I trust her. I've also learned a lot from her.

All of my lovebirds have coconut shell swings and they adore them. Last night, I was watching Leia, my parrotlet, swinging on hers and she really had it moving!! I would probably get one for inside the cage and maybe a second one for outside the cage. I don't have any bird that does not like swings!

I let my birds form their own friendships and sometimes there are some odd ones. I remember years ago and acquaintance of mine sent me a pic of his parrotlet sitting on a perch in his Greenwing Macaw's cage!!! I about flipped out but was told that this is completely normal at his house..... Parrotlets have amazing attitudes!

Julinka
12-07-2020, 05:01 PM
Funny you mentioned training him to go back into his cage. He/she loves being out and sometimes I end up chasing him around late at night because he won't go back in and all my other birds are already asleep.
However most of the time he does go in when he sees me starting to clean the cages. He knows that means bedtime. Leo still won't hang around with him/her but the parakeets like him. This might be a female. He or she has started creating strips of paper and tucking them into her tail. I have to check out if that is only a female thing. This bird is so very vocal and interactive “verbally” with me I was sure it was a male. He /she is much louder than the two other lovebirds I have had. People even comment on how loud the bird is! What a joy. I love the noise and the squeaky songs peaches sings. She went wild with singing during a Zoom church service yesterday.

Mis diagnoses are heartbreaking. People told me he was a good vet and he was better than another avian vet I had been to, but when I looked back, well, I realized he was too much in a hurry to take note of the subtle signs that were there. The next vet actually looked angry for a second when I told him the diagnosis but he was very professional and masked his anger, but not before I saw it. However, he is in Chicago and in a location difficult for me to get to. So when Leo needed a beak trim I took him to Dr. Scott who I had never been to. It was so cute, Leo was laughing in the waiting room. He isn't close either and not always there since he travels but I think he is the best! We need more qualified avian vets in the area. Actually, my cat vet can answer some of my questions and helped me with one of my parakeets during lockdown by listening and having me send pictures. She has a license for avian wildlife and has her own birds.

Well I'm going on and on. I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!

linda040899
12-08-2020, 05:30 AM
He or she has started creating strips of paper and tucking them into her tail. I have to check out if that is only a female thing.
If your lovebird is good at this, there's a 99.9% chance you have a female! Females are the nest builders and female Peachfaces tuck nesting material in their rump feathers so they can take it back to the nest. Sometimes it's amazing just how much can be tucked into the feathering! Some males try but they are not nearly as good at it as are their female counterparts. Peachfaced are the only species that do this. Others carry the material in their beaks.

I live on the West coast of central Florida, and we have a number of avian vets in this area but only a couple who are really good. It's a shame, too, because many problems are misdiagnosed and the birds are the innocent victims. Even though I have quite a few retired breeders, I've learned that I have to look at each one on a daily basis to make sure I don't see any possible problems. Change in behavior or eating is what I'm looking for.

Julinka
12-25-2020, 10:27 PM
He's not good at the feather tucking at all! He's a clown. He bobs his head sometimes when I talk to him and also makes himself very tall and hops towards me, chirping. I suspect he's a boy.

I try to watch them closely too. They are very good at hiding problems tho and I doubt I am as good at that as you are. Lethargy and changes in eating patterns means they are already pretty sick and they lose weight so quickly. We do the best we can.

Maybe because in the wild they are prey they hide their illnesses even better than other animals like cats do.

linda040899
12-26-2020, 09:21 AM
He's not good at the feather tucking at all!
You may have a boy, but no guarantees. I've tried sexing based on behavior and my success rate is roughly 50%..... :)

Once you get to know your own birds well, you know instinctively if something is not right. Heart problems are the hardest to detect, most because you think something else is wrong based on what you are seeing. Each time I lose a bird unexpectedly, I have a necropsy done on the remains so I know what happened.

Julinka
01-01-2021, 09:01 PM
That's very interesting about heart problems in birds. I read somewhere that heart issues can cause liver/kidney problems. So treating the liver /kidney issues won't help much in those cases. They are soooo complicated.