PDA

View Full Version : Aggresive hen towards male

GeorgeMas
11-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Hello everyone,

I've posted some time ago on this forum about my 2 lovies. One male and one female. I had some problems with them not getting along. The male is a peacefull and easily scared character while the female is more aggresive and daring. Sometimes the hen will go around the cage chasing the poor guy all over. That especially happens when he tries to get to his food bowl, but can happen whenever she's bored. I tried the sprayer method suggested here and although it stops her for an hour or so, I feel bad for doing it and also is not a long term solution.
The pair has even layed eggs in the past. Is it ok to separate them now? perhaps get a new owner for the male? one who ones a more peaceful female?

Thanks in advance!

linda040899
11-14-2020, 09:26 AM
You said this pair has had eggs in the past. Have they ever produced babies? You know you have a hen because there are eggs. If they have never produced fertile eggs or live chicks, the gender of the other lovebird is unknown. I have an older hen sitting on 2 eggs right now and it's been a number of years since she laid eggs. She is with a new partner so I'm watching to see if I get surprise chicks. So far, the eggs are blanks.

You can try separating them and see what happens. You can rehome the male if you want to, just make sure he is going to a good, loving home. All too many times, breeders (if that's what you choose) let their birds breed and breed, over and over, until they burn out. Hens can die from producing too many clutches of babies and not being allowed to recuperate. I'm a retired breeder who did not rehome any of my lovebirds for that very reason. I would not give them to someone else to do with them what I would not. There are too many animals now that don't have good homes.

Are either of these 2 friendly? If not, just having the female alone may not be good for her, as lovebirds are social, even through cage bars.

GeorgeMas
11-15-2020, 05:06 AM
I totally agree with all your statements. As you say "there are a lot of bred animals out there" and that is why myself haven't let the eggs they laid to become babies... I know its cruel that I sterillized them but perhaps it sometimes is what needs to be done these days... They were both from the same breeder and DNA tested for that fact. The male was not hand tamed and at the first weeks we had together he started contact calling for times non-stop, then I decided he might want company and got him this hand tamed hen. Since I didn't follow the instructions of the breeder (which were to forcefully handle her everyday so she get used to me) she is now somewhat untamed: she will eat from my hand and fly sometimes on top of my head but she is afraid of my hands when im not holding treats. The male itself is even more scared of me, even when I get close to the cage. If I indeed rehome them I'll find a bird enthusiast and certainly not a breeder... Now is there a way to know if the DNA test for the persumably male was false? (NOTE: the male never fights back)

linda040899
11-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Now is there a way to know if the DNA test for the presumably male was false?
You can get a false reading if the blood sample sent to the lab was contaminated because the blood draw was done incorrectly. Instructions tell you to make sure you clean the nail that will be short clipped very well so there is no contamination. Now, in spite of this, a test for female is correct. However, a contaminated test that comes back male could be incorrect.

There are a lot of birds that don't like human hands. Trying to gain trust by holding the bird when it does not want to be held because it's afraid it will become your next meal will be counterproductive. What I've found helpful is perch training. Once the bird will come to you for treats, try teaching it to step up onto a perch. Even at this stage of the game, you can regain trust by changing your method of interaction. Could be that your hen had bad experiences with the breeder who had her (I suspect that's the case.) and she's fearful. Taming pairs is harder, but I have pairs that have no problems interacting with me on their terms. Respect is always the key.

GeorgeMas
11-20-2020, 03:41 AM
Well when it comes to taming they will progress as far as landing on my arm and eating millet. It's the hands that are cursed!:)
So It's a case of being afraid when im not holding the millet...

linda040899
11-20-2020, 06:36 AM
Well when it comes to taming they will progress as far as landing on my arm and eating millet. It's the hands that are cursed!:)
So It's a case of being afraid when im not holding the millet...
Ah, those cursed human hands...... :lol Keep working with the millet. They will realize, through experience, that you (and your hands) will not hurt them. Once that happens, you could have 2 lovebirds who think that they need to be velcroed to your person 24/7! And, of course, if one is on you, the other one will follow. They are very social!