PDA

View Full Version : Lovebirds as Gifts; Maybe Not!

bellarains
05-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi All
I just wanted to put a Reminder on here with the run up to Xmas.
We have adverts on telly here, saying "Remember Dogs are Not just for Christmas" "they are for Life".
This also applies to any animal that is now suddenly flooding the market.
I have been trawling through my local paper on the internet (Adverts are placed for Free), There are Bookings now being taken for dog, cats birds etc.
So this is My way of saying through the World Wide Web. Kids want animals albeit dogs to fish, But Please Please do your Research thoroughly. When it comes to Love birds to (many in this paper for sale) They are Not easy Pets to keep. And in Time the Novelty soon wears off when People realise what time, effort and yes heartache that goes into looking after them.
So If any guests that are looking on this site, Please read through this Forum and do your research before Buying. Maybe at least 1 bird will have a happy and healthy loving home.
I dont mean to be blunt, but as most in here know along with others i cannot bear to see animals suffer, and i dont want to go along and rescue yet another Bird.
The main Petstores are the Biggest Culprits for this to.
as Linda said "while there is a supply, there always be a demand".

Regards
Cassy..

Phoebe
04-01-2006, 07:33 PM
And I might add, with Easter coming up, no bunnies or chicks either! A major newspaper just put in a pic with some cute kid with a bunny and I thought, oh boy! But it is good to remind people all the time that pets should be never given as gifts.

goldnyght
05-03-2006, 09:43 AM
when I was looking into a puppy (which we never got because it turns oout he's allergic) I told my boyfriend I wanted to check the pound in late january, because that's when all the pets that people bought for their children make it back to the pound when the kid won't take care of them and the parents won't either.

Emery
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
My lovie was a gift...from me to me. :D

But I agree, no pets as gifts.

goldnyght
05-03-2006, 09:55 PM
yeah, my lovie is a birthday present to me.

And kind of from my boyfriend too. He went out and looked for a local breeder for me after I found out I couldn't get the bird I was supposed to get (from virginia) ^^ He's so sweet.

Kumashe
05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Indy was a birthday gift for me too, although I'd already researched in lovies so... I'm not sure if that counts or not. But I do agree with not getting someone a lovie when they know next to nothing about the species.

bubble
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
although i got my first 2 lovies from my sister as christmas gift but i do agree with you guys. i knew nothing about birds before i got them but i've done a lot of research afterwards, it's a life long commitment.

Tango's_Mom
06-04-2006, 08:47 PM
I agree with the no pets as gifts for kids or as surprises for anyone, My lovebird was a birthday gift from my parents, but only AFTER I had done the research and specifically asked for one, went to the petstore and picked it out myself

birdloverx6
01-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I am also in agreement! I got two for Christmas last year--but I had done all the research, dialoging (sp) with the breeder and I knew exactly what I was getting. Then I got two more for my birthday--again, I did all the work. The second set was from a breeder I have had previous dealings with, so knew I was getting quality birds.
Dottie

Xanthus
01-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I got a pair of Lovies for my stepson's birthday - one for me and one for him.

But we had made him get books on Lovies and learn about them and make sure he wanted one before we got them - and worse comes to worse, I'll just relabel his as mine. :P

I've wanted Lovies for years! I think I might be more excited about them then he is. :D

michael
03-14-2007, 08:35 PM
I couldn't help it, I just had to comment on this important subject as its still very common for poeple to make this mistake and have their pets suffer the fallout. Surprize living gifts have taken a back seat to " Its so cute I just have to have one" and "please mommy can we get one?". A lot of poeple because of illimitable information about the danger to animals when put in a box with a bow on top have stopped doing so only to overlook the other undesirable reasons for getting a pet. I personally have had to go over the finer points of caring for a lovebird because some poeple who meet Goofylovebird just have to go and get one. I generally give them less pro's than con's, call it discouragement, because its closer to the truth for someone that may lack the dedication we share in this community. Other reasons like parents getting pets in hopes that their children care for them or, I don't have time for my kids, maybe a pet would fill in for me are just other poor excuses for getting a pet. I know that there's poeple that make getting a pet a conscientious effort but there are so many that still don't. If you can't take care of an animal in the event your children don't then don't get one. Here in N.E. Ohio throughout the summer lovebird breeders abound at local flea markets and most of the vendors will tell you how wonderful they are and easy to care for too. They cost anywhere from $25 to $65 and if their tired of caring for so many they'll throw in a cage. Most of the time their definition of caring for a bird couldn't be farther from the truth. Just another sale. The larger amazons and grey's usually end up in shelters because the owner wouldn't come down on the price for someone who may otherwise be able to care for them. Greed. I hope poeple keep spreading the word that their not just pets, and that they hold a very special place in our hearts. That all pets deserve the best care possible. Us humans seem to be the only species capable of killing everything, too bad some of us don't use that to keep things alive......Thanks for giving us the space here....Michael N' His favorite bird.

Jezzahbella
07-23-2007, 07:12 PM
I absoulutely can not stand when people give pets as gifts. Thats how the sad story of Jezzahbella began, my friends parents got her Bella, as a present for getting good grades a year before I met her. They kept her on the ground, next to the furnace in a poorly lite area. Its a wonder Bella had not plucked all of her feathers! Its makes me sooo angry!

lucky melatonin
10-26-2007, 10:02 PM
i agree. i got my lovebird as a gift from my boyfriend though. but i had been dying to have one, and had been researching. the only reason i'd delayed it so long is because i'm a modest living student and the initial cost of the bird, cage, toys, vitamins, bath, food, yadda yadda yadda was rough. but once all of that was out of the way, we're good to go!

i couldn't imagine giving someone a pet as a gift, unless i knew they wanted it as a definite. the potential for neglect is too risky...it's sad, really. i couldn't dream of not taking care of an animal i had. i've had pets to care for since i could remember though...

hydra
01-05-2008, 01:14 PM
agreed 110%!

i got chicken as a present to myself, after much research

about 14 years ago we took in two cockatiels who were abused. they were in a small parakeet cage that we literally had to break apart to get them. they were a 'novelty' to the previous owners, who decided to treat them poorly because they were no longer 'important'.

people should really research and contemplate before they take on any kind of animal. its terrible to see them cast aside out of loss of interest.

>:

Sweetpeaches
01-05-2008, 02:10 PM
isn't it funny how many of us got our lovies as gifts?? me too...girlfriends who had parrots themselves and i mentioned seeing this cute bird in a pet store..surprise! she's now mine but they knew i wanted a bird. and altho, i'm certianally not sorry i have her now, i don't know if a lovebird would've been "my" first choice if i hadn't recevied her.

loyallyroyal
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I dont know anyone who gives a birds as gifts, especially since they are expensive and live so long. I can see when a person has researched and picked out the particular bird getting it for them, but I couldnt imagine giving someone a 15+ year commitment.

Rabbits are another story though, after every easter there is a flood of rabbits in shelters. http://www.makeminechocolate.org/

Maybe if someone created an interactive informational site like "make mine chocolate" Someone could create a really cute one

LoveBug12
10-29-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm half/half about this. I'm getting a Lovie for my birthday coming up (November 11, veterans day). I've done plenty of research and I am 100% sure that I am ready to put the responsibility of caring for this animal in my hands. I love animals to death and I can't live without them! But, the other half of me wants to agree with you on this. Animals as pets to little children or people who have not done research on them, is a bad idea. Nobody wants to see an animal suffer or be neglected. It's terrible. But, I know that I will be a responsible and loving owner. Afterall, I am homeschooled and spend plenty of time with my animals.

elijahfan
10-30-2008, 07:33 AM
a lot of it is down to Th parents, i learnt Th hard way with my cockatiel, thought i had done enough research, then found out thy go through molting and hormonal stages and it is like retaming thm over and over, or allowing them to bite and spending more time on them so thy don't bite, well mine bit me a few time and i lost my bottle with him, if i had known this i would have got one, he is very happy tho and i kept him because i bought him there for i look after him, i can still put my hand in the cage and he will step up but is a nightmare out side the cage, so he is fun inside, not how i like it but at lats he isnt ignored, as a bird lover i hate that it came down to this,

but it does show what can happen, i recently bought a Minni rex rabbit for my daughter they need lots of handling as they are prone to biting so he gets plenty of daily handling so compared to our cashmere lop he takes much more work,

wow sorry to waffle on, but i am all for research you can never know too much about an animal, i wanted a cat with after doing a tiny bit of research have decided against as they need regular vet checks etc

Angelic vampyre
02-28-2009, 04:06 AM
I breed and sell birds, one of the things that I say to anyone that wants one is who is it for? If not for themselves then i say they have to bring the owner in to see me and pick the bird out themselves (I am a big beliver that the bird picks the owner not the owner picking the bird, might explain why i have so many disabled or behavioual issue birds as they all know i will take them home!) they also get a care lesson. I have put to much effort into my birds to see them just go and get dumped. I also offer !00% moneyback within 15 days and return no refund after that.

A-chama
08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
You know, I definitly agree with what you're all saying. I think it's too easy just to give out an animal as a present, people just assume that because they asked for one they'll take care of them... but I think it's not so sure... after all it could be apassing interest... and people often want what they don't have.

Personally I think buying a pet for yourself is better, because when you buy it, it's a more serious commoitment then if someone just gives it to you, no matter iof it's a bird or a cat or a dog.

clk666
04-12-2010, 07:45 PM
pets as animals is really not such a good idea. especiually if they dont know they are getting one .. lol .. and i dont think its nice when someone does not do their research .. then just keeps the bird (or animal) and just lets it get wild, no interaction and whatnot :(

Raindroponthrose
08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I always say-do not buy a pet for a child or if only child wants it!!! A parent needs to want it too!!! And I personally wouldn't give(sell,give as a gift etc) any pet to a family with small kids...UNLESS THEY ARE USED TO IT SINCE BIRTH,like I was...My parents had a dog before me and when I was born he was already there and to my he was like a family...Same with my cats and bird...Now this lovie came unexpected(found) and we decided to keep him.So getting another one was my choice...

Daiqattack10
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I got my first lovebird as an anniversary present from my boyfriend :D
And the 2nd was a gift from me to me :)
But i totally agree
There are wayyy too many pets that end up not being taken care of, or abused, even if its just from the owners lack of knowledge.
Forever homes are what they need. People should check rescues and shelters before going to pet stores and breeders, if they're going to get animals.
:[

kadee
01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I believe a bird, or any other pet for that matter, should be selected by the prospective owner-to-be. And I also feel that it is very important to research the breed of bird or animal that you are interested in. Take time to make the right decision. Like humans, each bird is unique in its personality, and all breeds have their very own characteristics. Just like "snowflakes", each is a miracle of nature. Treat your pet as you would want to be treated in life. That is my motto!

Lashania
01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
I think it's on a case by case basis. I see a lot of judgement in this thread with no regards to who may be what.

Let me elaborate.

I am a 27 year old woman with two children. We have a dog, a cat, a lovebird, a beta fish, and a guinea pig. All of them (minus the beta fish of course) get plenty of love and attention. ****, the guinea pig almost has her own room.

The lovebird is mine. All mine, and I am rather protective as both my children can tell you. The dog was supposed to be my husband's, but because he works the dog likes me more. LOL. The cat is definitely my husband's cat, and barely tolerates me when Joe is home. The guinea pig, however, is all my daughter's. I got it for her last year, October 14th. Her father had left for a year's tour overseas, and she'd been wanting a guinea pig for ages. When we went in, I had a long talk with her about responsibilities. We laid down rules that she had to agree to. She got to pick her guinea pig, had to help me put everything together, etc.

Then she had to sign a contract at home regarding her duties. Every day she comes home, does her chores, does her homework, and then spends time with her guinea pig. A minimum of an hour as soon as she's done with her homework. The guinea pig is one of the nicest, sweetest pigs I've ever seen. Have I had to remind her? Of course. She's 8. Her friends distract her when they come over. But once she's reminded, she eagerly goes to play with her pet.

What I'm getting at is a parent has to make a judgement call. Sometimes it's a bad call. Most of the time it is not. For every bad story you see or hear, there are dozens of families that successfully got a pet for their child, and that pet is happy and well cared for.

PixelRPG
03-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Pixel was a Christmas/"We're sorry we didn't check the cage lock" gift :roll:. It can be especially a bad idea (in my opinion) if the receiver is still dealing with a loss. Granted I still absolutely adore Pixel. :whistle: