PDA

View Full Version : Need help teaching my bird Free-flying

MyBirdy
02-17-2021, 07:00 AM
Birdy is a peach-faced lovebird. We have a really close bond and are often together, I feel comfortable enough leaving the windows open knowing she will not fly out. However, I recently discovered free-flying and I need answers. Something I have always wanted is for Birdy to be able to play with other birds and go outside, but I also need to feel ensured that she will come back. Birdy is able to do the step-up etc. I never meant to train her but I unknowingly did so when just playing with her bc she is tame, cuddles me, and will listen to me. But take note that she has been with us for 7 years so I hear training is significantly harder. So I was wondering if I tried teaching her free-flying would she be able to learn? And is it a reasonable risk. (ofc ill start with the vest and everything)

Also one more thing, the vest is completely safe for birds right, we were initially going to buy a foot chain when we did some research and realized it can hurt a bird, so we did research on the vest and it seemed fine but Im just double-checking.

linda040899
02-17-2021, 12:07 PM
I've often thought about free flying with my own birds but the main risk is the fact that lovebirds are small birds and all birds are prey animals. Predator birds are always looking for an easy meal and small birds just fit that bill. Birdy has never had to worry about predators and that's something you can't teach her. Additionally, by letting her associate with wild birds, you don't know what kind of disease she could be exposed to. It's bothered me that birds are meant to fly free but most now are captive bred and it's my responsibility to keep them safe.

Hope my thoughts on this are helpful.

MyBirdy
02-18-2021, 02:28 AM
I've often thought about free flying with my own birds but the main risk is the fact that lovebirds are small birds and all birds are prey animals. Predator birds are always looking for an easy meal and small birds just fit that bill. Birdy has never had to worry about predators and that's something you can't teach her. Additionally, by letting her associate with wild birds, you don't know what kind of disease she could be exposed to. It's bothered me that birds are meant to fly free but most now are captive bred and it's my responsibility to keep them safe.

Hope my thoughts on this are helpful.

Thanks for your feedback, it annoys me too which is why I wish she could do free-flying but I do see what you mean about predators, we don't see many bigger birds where I live but I agree it is better to stay on the safe side I will put some more thought into this and find a soloution. :)

edit: after taking ur notes into consideration, I found a group where I can do it with, that has professionals helping!