PDA

View Full Version : Horrible!!!!

butterfly1061
11-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I heard about this yesterday on the news. >:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/11/16/sparrow.domino.ap/index.html

Z28Taxman
11-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Sparrows are endangered in the Netherlands?

Can we send all the ones around here back since that's where they came from in the first place? I think I have half a million of them around my house alone.

But maybe I'll dress up in a sparrow costume, go knock the dominoes down and collect $1200! :evil:

mjm8321
11-16-2005, 01:46 PM
"That bird was flying around and knocking over a lot of dominoes. More than 100 people from 12 countries had worked for more than a month setting them up," he said."

So if a person knocked them over, do you think they would have shot them?

Janie
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Oh Jackie, my Bluebird forum would be thrilled to know there is one less HOSP (House Sparrow) left in this world. Half the folks on that forum spend half their waking hours trapping and disposing them. They are legal to kill in the US and have devastated our native songbird population. I've seen too many pictures of dead bluebirds (and other native songbirds) and their babies that were killed by one of these birds when they entered a nest box. I hate animal cruelty, in any form, but I got to tell you, these birds and starlings are at the bottom of my "favorites" list. For as many as we have in my area, I am blessed that I've never seen one in my yard. Having said that, I'm sure the person who did this would have killed any bird that got in the way of the dominoes. I really would hate to kill a bird, any bird.

Z28Taxman
11-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Oh Jackie, my Bluebird forum would be thrilled to know there is one less HOSP (House Sparrow) left in this world. Half the folks on that forum spend half their waking hours trapping and disposing them. They are legal to kill in the US and have devastated our native songbird population. I've seen too many pictures of dead bluebirds (and other native songbirds) and their babies that were killed by one of these birds when they entered a nest box. I hate animal cruelty, in any form, but I got to tell you, these birds and starlings are at the bottom of my "favorites" list. For as many as we have in my area, I am blessed that I've never seen one in my yard. Having said that, I'm sure the person who did this would have killed any bird that got in the way of the dominoes. I really would hate to kill a bird, any bird.

I can't step out my back door without almost stepping on a dozen sparrows. It doesn't help that Ditto has learned sparrow-ese and calls them in sparrow chirps. And they come too. :eek:

At my brothers house it's a full time job keeping them out of the nestboxes he has set up for the bluebirds. They make a nest, we destroy it. After a few weeks the nest elsewhere and the bluebirds, house wrens and tree swallows can move in.

To think that they were intentionally brought over here too. >:

linda040899
11-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Life has value, regardless of how we feel about a live creature. I can't condone a senseless killing and I must admit that I was sickened as I read the article that described why this bird was killed. It just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. Additionally, this happens to be a protected species in Holland and that fact was completely disregarded. I can't help but wonder what would have happened had a human accidentally messed up all the dominoes.

bellarains
11-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Well.....

Here's a pic for ya. I think this will say all I have to say on the subject. I know some won't think that wild birds are on the same level as pet birds, but I gotta tell ya, this sparrow was every bit as beautiful and loving as any of my fids I have now.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288939381&idx=1

Z28Taxman
11-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Well.....

Here's a pic for ya. I think this will say all I have to say on the subject. I know some won't think that wild birds are on the same level as pet birds, but I gotta tell ya, this sparrow was every bit as beautiful and loving as any of my fids I have now.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4288939381&idx=1

I love wild birds. Even sparrows but they need to leave the bluebirds, finches and wrens nests alone.