PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trees, etc...

butterfly1061
11-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I know we talked about this last year, but I can't remember. Live trees or artificial trees? I would love to have a real tree, but I can't remember if it's good or bad around my birds. I already have an artificial tree and can use it if need be. No tinsel, right? I have the largeer tinsel, but didn't use it last year. I'm so confused :confused:

Janie
11-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Jackie, I do a real tree. I did a "flocked" tree the year before we adopted Oliver. I did call "our" vet and ask about that and they said a real tree is just fine but a "flocked" tree is a definite no-no. It was the most beautiful tree I've ever had but the flocking is poisonous, so much so that I could not put that tree outside after we took it down......it had to be taken to the fire station for disposal. Anyway, Dr. S's office said they do both, real and artificial. I think the danger with either is if the birds fly into the tree and chew on anything like lights or ornaments or tree sap. Oliver never had a lick of interest in the tree. Big Boi and Shy are very curious about everything so I'll make sure they don't get "into" it.

butterfly1061
11-26-2005, 06:48 PM
I put my artificial one up this afternoon (no decorations yet), but when I went to Lowes and saw the real ones :omg: I wanted one REAL bad (no pun intended). None of my birds even noticed the artificial tree standing in the corner. I've always wanted a real tree, so I'll have to think about it. They can get pricey, but they sure are pretty. I like the blue spruce ones. :D

Janie
11-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Jackie, funny thing, I've always wanted an artificial one....and a pre-lit one at that! My problem was that I never went shopping for one at the right time....when they were on sale! Anyway, let me suggest that if you do buy a Blue Spruce (a beautiful tree) you feel the needles first. I bought a Colorado Spruce one time and had to wear gloves to decorate it. That tree had the sharpest needles I've ever dealt with. Tore my hands and arms to pieces! Frasier Fur is much easier to decorate but the branches don't hold a lot of weight and I use about 300 ornaments, a lot of weight! I am a Christmas tree freak! :D I have an Oliver ornament and am having one made for Big Boi and Shy. :)

butterfly1061
11-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Oooo, where did you get your Oliver ornament? I've been looking at the pre-lit trees, but they are very pricey! I bought my artificial one way after christmas and got it for $15! It had originally been about $150 :eek: I think it was about 90% off. The only thing that keeps me from getting a real tree is vacuuming up the needles later. Ugh!

Janie
11-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Jackie, someone, a bluebird friend, I think, sent me a link about a woman who makes the ornaments out of clay. I'll have to look in my e-mail box and find it and send it to you. She ain't cheap (the Oliver ornament is about 2 inches long and was $35) but I figure it's a "forever" kind of thing.

LauraO
11-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Jackie: We get a fresh tree every year and have never had any problems. Our birds do tend to land on it and chew it if we don't decorate it right away, but once it's decorated they stay away from it.