PDA

View Full Version : A little sad today

MaraJade
12-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Some of you may have seen my post on the bulletin board about having to give up my breeding pair - Quicksilver and Goldmoon.

I met their new owner here at work last night and handed them over; in a brand new pretty cage that I didn't have use for anymore so at least they'll have a lot of room.

The guy seemed nice and asked some very good questions about what they eat and if their wings are clipped so that put me at ease. He seemed very excited about them even though I told him that silver is very timid and Gold bites - hard. lol.

The good news is that this morning we were not woken up by screaming birds at 3 a.m. They seem to be happier as a foursome than a . . . .six whatever. They did start yelling a bit at around six, but I can deal with that. Hopefully their good behavior keeps up.

The bad news is that even though Silver was not people friendly and Goldmoon tried to take your finger off everytime you went near her, I do miss them a bit already and I worry about them. I just want them to be okay.

Plus they have such beautiful babies that it's practically an atrocity that they most likely won't be producing any more. But I still have Justarius, my little one foot wonder, that they hatched. So that's nice.

The house is a bit quieter, which is great, but I hope that I get updates from the new owner every once in a while so that I know they are okay. I never want to give up pets ever again. But it was necessary.

butterfly1061
12-01-2005, 12:51 PM
(((((Jessie)))))

I know what you did was hard, but I'm also glad you were able to meet the new owner and felt good about handing over your fids. He sounds like a responsible pet owner and I hope he keeps in touch with you. Under the circumstances, sounds like you did the right thing. :)

bellarains
12-01-2005, 01:12 PM
:grouphug1 Jessie,

I'm sure that was one of the hardest decisions you have ever had to make. It does sound like a good placement though, and I know that gives you some comfort. I'm sure if this guy gives birds a permanant home for life, he will have no problem what-so-ever with you checking in on them from time to time. Heck, tell him to join us here and then we can all have updates :D

BarbieH
12-01-2005, 01:18 PM
((((((Jessie))))) So sorry you had to break up your sixpack. As you said, though, the remaining four seem happier, and you did a good job of finding an appropriate owner. Well done for the birds!

Paulette
12-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Jessie....I think you are a very fun and compassionate girl....and what you are feeling is normal.....and you absolutely did the right thing....each day will get better.....now go have a foo foo coffee and relax.......Ah....doesn't that feel better?

LauraO
12-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Jessie: The fact that you are feeling sad shows what a good and caring birdy mamma you are. I've had to lighten my flock a time or two and I've shed many a tear over it. Just know that you did what you thought was best for you and your fids. It's good that you know where your pair's new fidpa is and you can always seek out him and ask him how they are doing. Plus, it will keep him on his toes knowing that you could pop up at any time to ask how the birdy family is.

:grouphug:

MaraJade
12-02-2005, 07:21 AM
::sigh of relief:: Thanks everyone!

That makes me feel so much better. :)
And it is reassuring that the other birds seem so much happier. Goldmoon was just so threatening to everyone that I think they are feeling safer since she left. (She had taken to escaping from her cage, even though we linked all the doors shut, and terrorizing the other birds.)

No coffee for me since I don't drink it, but I'm enjoying a nice juice and some cupcakes for breakfast. lol.

I can't wait to hear from Gil about how my former little buddies are doing.

And thanks so much for all the compliments about me being a good bird owner. That means a lot.

Janie
12-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Jessie, my Oliver is a re-homed bird and believe me, it is a match made in heaven. :) I know his former owner well (teenage girl, off to college) and she knows me and that I am an animal lover. She thought enough of Oliver (she called him "Giggles"...:D) to re-home him rather than leave him with her parents who are not pet bird people. We do keep in touch and she visits sometimes when she's home on break and I do send her lots of pictures. Sometimes, it IS best to place your birds in another home and I think you did the right thing and that they will be very happy. :) I know that the best thing that has ever happened to Oliver is ME! :D I know you'll miss them but knowing that they've gone to a good home is a real comfort, I'm sure.