PDA

View Full Version : Budgies laying more eggs

Paulette
12-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I posted this on Budgie Chat Friday at 5:15pm and no replies as of yet...so I'll ask you guys.

At 17:13:43, paulette (Paulette) wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cupie and Chico...layed eggs as you may remember back in early Sept. in an orange juice box...and the moving of the eggs ended in only one hatch (Lucky)...with the breeding of my lovebirds I did obtain a real budgie nest box that I gave my other pair (Verde and Amarillo)who also layed eggs that started hatching Oct. 25...1 chicks hatched but dried up because it did not get fed-there was also a night fright this am and the avairy was hysterical...this pair is approx 4 yrs old,but never bred before. In the mean time I put up a nest box for Cupie as she and Chico were mating again and I knew more eggs would be coming...she layed about 6 or 7 eggs.....by now Verde (hen) hatched a second chick and let it die also.

Out of frustration....I traded the eggs as many have talked of fostering....gave Cupie Verde's eggs that were hatching and gave Verde Cupies (newer eggs that were not developed yet) because I knew Cupie would feed any babies that hatched(she is such a good mom)....and thought Verde would keep Cupie's eggs warm until I could get them back to the original mom.

Well....Cupie faithfully sat on Verde's very old eggs that were well overdue hatching.....And Verde destroyed 3 or 4 of Cupie's eggs by throwing them out of the nest box and busting them.

So...I gave Cupie back her own eggs (3 left) and she layed 3 more to replace the broken ones....fine I get that as survival....she has hatched 3 babies( on Nov. 25, 27, 30th)... so far and there are 3 more getting ready to hatch, but....layed a new egg today (Fri the 2nd)....now what is up with that? I thought I would take away the box after she hatched and fledges these chicks. She needs a break, but if she's going to lay while chicks are hatching...I'm confused.....and she layed another new egg today (Sun. the 4th)...So....I could still understand if she was working back up to 7 (which is what I think she orig. had before some got broken)....but this makes 8 total....I have marked the 2 new eggs incase I want to remove them after the other 3 hatch.....Any thoughts?...and there really is a time span between the last hatch (Nov. 30th and now), 4 days.....could she possibly know the other 3 are not going to hatch?