PDA

View Full Version : Mites

Illumen
05-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Mites has gotten into the seed and the supposedly airtight containers. They are everywhere now. Can Emma and Roxy have mites on them too? How do I get rid of them?

Mena

BarbieH
05-16-2005, 07:35 AM
Hi Mena;

Yes, your birds can get mites. Some pet stores sell "cures," but they just aren't effective. Your avian vet will need to prescribe something for your birds. Based on your description, we could assume that the mites are in the birds' cages. However, if you want to make sure, cover the cages with clean white sheets tonight; in the morning you should see those black or red pests.

Everything will need to be cleaned, disinfected using GSE or apple cider vinegar, and the seed will need to be replaced, preferably with seed from a different source. Do notify the source of the old seed.

Please keep us posted on this problem. It's mite season in many areas now. :eek

Bird Man Dan
05-16-2005, 04:42 PM
My beautifully fridged -40 winters help prevent the mites here. I've only ever seen one two of what I thought were mites and that's when I helped re-shingle the roof. The were Hidden under shingles.

Robin VZ
05-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Mena,
Mites aren't attracted to seed but other insects are. If your seed is infested you will have to dispose of it and start over with a fresh supply. Make sure you clean the area and containers very well or any new seed you buy will quickly be full of bugs. One way to help prevent this from happening is to freeze seed after you buy it and just take out what you need for a week at a time. Chances are that your birds are fine but you can check like Barb told you. Wait until dark and put a white cloth over your birds cage. After several hours, check the cloth under a bright light. Dark or red spots on the cloth are mites. If this is the case, you will need to disinfect the cage and call your vet regarding treatment.

Illumen
05-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks for responding! I will disinfect everything and replace all the seeds.

Mena