PDA

View Full Version : Do You Want Nice Nails for the Holidays?

Paulette
12-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, I don't know about you girls, but while playing with my new lovebird babies I have gotten many cuts on the fingers as well as the palms of my hands from their sharp toe nails. With hand washing the food cups every day in Dawn antibacterial dish detergent and washing my hands often with liquid soap that is also antibacterial, my hands were in awful chapped, cut up shape. I've been using what ever hand cream I can find around the house which is:

skin milk
avon hand cream/tube or tub either or both
bath and body works lotion
curel is my regular lotion
homemade hand cream

whatever you have, but the greasier the better....I have some kind of lotion or handcream stationed in every room.....dip your nails into the tub and distribute to the rest of your hands......my finger nails have become strong and wonderful....if you make hamburger patties once a week (the fat) will give you good nails also.

you can also make your own handcream....and this is kind of fun for gifts too.
Go to the 1$ shop and get 1 baby lotion, 2 vitamin E hand creams, 1 vaseline (large) or 2 small ones.
Whip it altogether with your mix master and viola you have hand cream.

Put it into a tub (I save all of my hand cream/hair product tubs for just this purpose)....you can print your own label on your computer using an address label: So & So's Homemade Hand Cream or hand write a label...tie a ribbon around the neck of the tub and there you have it.....a fun.....semi homemade gift or stocking stuffer and it smells good too.

You really should not use clippers....but I do when I'm tired of having nails or if I break a couple.....I clip them down to just before the quick....use one of those thick 2 sided files from Wal-mart to smooth the edges.....after they grow for several days and the whites are showing good.....file them blunt and squarish on the tips......blunt nails are stronger and harder to break than rounded ones.

I beleive it was Doris Day who used to lather her body once a week in vaseline, put on gloves and socks and long pajamas and sleep in a cot once a week.....and we all know what beautiful skin she had. :D

There's your nail tip for the holidays.....enjoy!

bellarains
12-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Paulette,

My Grandmother is a true believer in that vaseline theory. She will be 90 years old in January, and she could pass for 70 easily, so maybe it does have some merit :)

I use nivea hand cream everynight before bed. I was told a long time ago, the first part of your body to show age is your hands, so take good care of your hands. Guess it stuck :D I had a girlfriend who used to be a hand model, and that is what she used, so I thought it must be the best???

butterfly1061
12-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Hmmm... Lori, I think I'll try that brand. I can't use the anti-bacterial soap as it makes the skin on my hands peel and flake off. I'm allergic to a lot of soaps and lotions, so I have to be careful. Just about every kind of soap in my house (including laundry detergent) is perfume free/dye free. Tide and Gain make me breakout in welts - OUCH!

Mummieeva
12-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Vasilene is great. LOL I use it on sons tushies.lol. I cna not hand wash dishes often. All dish washing soaps make my hands get bumps after 1 minute. My birds should know how much i love them when i hand wash their things.lol.

Steph

Janie
12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
My hands are a mess and in the winter, a worse mess! The dry, cold weather makes them crack and bleed and I almost never remember hand cream. Hard to pick up that habit at my age but I wish I could add that to my improvement list! :D A looooong list!

Z28Taxman
12-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Paulette,

My Grandmother is a true believer in that vaseline theory. She will be 90 years old in January, and she could pass for 70 easily, so maybe it does have some merit :)

I use nivea hand cream everynight before bed. I was told a long time ago, the first part of your body to show age is your hands, so take good care of your hands. Guess it stuck :D I had a girlfriend who used to be a hand model, and that is what she used, so I thought it must be the best???

Pork fat is an excellent mosturizer. Wrap your hands in bacon and they'll be soft as a baby's bottom, and smell like breakfast. :lol When I was a butcher I had the softest hands in town.

bellarains
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Dave,

That would work except I don't know how I'd get the dog off my hands :lol

Z28Taxman
12-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Dave,

That would work except I don't know how I'd get the dog off my hands :lol

Minor details! :rofl:

Paulette
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Ah.....Nivea, it's one of the greasiest.....very good....and see Dave knows what I'm talking about.

Janie
12-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Dave, :rofl:

LauraO
12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Being in Hawaii, my hands, lips, etc. don't get dry, but if I hit the mainland I'm chapped within three days. It's awful because even my fingers and the back of my feet crack. Very painful :(

Elle
12-08-2005, 10:03 AM
For those ladies who break out in hives and have allergies, try pure almond oil. It is sent free, perfume free and works like a charm. Also used to give massage it is a very gentle oil. Apply on the hands and rest of the body before bed time and you will find an improvement in no time. Also non toxic for birdies. I know Blu likes tasting my hands after I use almond oil.