PDA

View Full Version : ? hens laying & sitting eggs together

sunny
12-06-2005, 02:33 PM
While I was away for Thanksgiving, Piedpie& Lu set up house keeping in one of their feed pans. (These sisters are the oldest of my 8 Lovies) I try to discourage having babies, but sometimes their hormones rule. Hm…it isn’t that I don’t want to let them have babies, it’s that I don’t want to let the babies go to new homes.) My bird family live in a large flight in my home office.
These girls are sharing a nest, eggs, and one husband, Cream. Everyone is feeding everyone in this odd trio. They have 4 eggs, and seem quite content to sit touching each other as the egg count grows. The eggs are also lying together.
I must put their boxes back in, but I don’t know if I should put two boxes in & dived the eggs or leave them together. I built my boxes with a removable divider for the times I need to adjust the nest size, so they have enough room for all three birds & safely contain the eggs.
Has anyone had this situation…. Lovebirds will always surprise you.
Thanks for your suggestions.

linda040899
12-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Hi Sunny,
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it...... You can try one box and put the eggs in it. I have a couple of hens that have no problems with this. The only thing I will caution you is not to turn your back on the situation. They seem content sharing the dish but that might change when you offer the box. If it does, give them another box and divide the eggs. You can have all 3 of them in one cage. The only unsure thing is will the box make a difference. The other option is just to give them 2 boxes. The worst that can happen is both will go into the same box and you just put all the eggs in the box they choose. It's kind of try it and see what happens.

Leave it to a lovebird to always give you a surprise! Gotta luv 'em!

shylevon
12-07-2005, 01:08 AM
That poor hubby is gonna be running his patootie off once the babies start to hatch. Make sure you have plenty of food for him, close at hand. He will have many mouths to feed.