PDA

View Full Version : Shipping

CaptMicha
12-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Um, I said this last year when I thought I was going away but it didn't happen. I now hope I'll be going away to school next year in Israel. I'm in the USA.

Is shipping birds safer than having them in the storage part of the plane? Cheaper? What do I have to do make this happen? Laws? What's not allowed, etc. Would the humane society work with me to make this happen?

I am so lost and confused and could never give up my babies when I go away!

Janie
12-08-2005, 08:21 AM
I can't answer your questions but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. I would start by calling the airlines and asking them and I'd also call my avian vet and see what she might know. I would doubt that the human society would have any information for you but I don't really know.

You mention shipping as opposed to having them in the storage part of the plane. I would think that if they are shipped, they would be in the storage section. Before I had birds, I did run into some people at the airport who had carriers with them and I asked what they had in them since they were too small to be dog carriers. They had two birds, one in each carrier and they were allowed to keep them in the passenger section of the plane.

What I wonder about, taking them out of the US into another country, is quarantine. Many countries have strict quarantines, at least 30 days. With the bird flu situation, I'm guessing this would apply even more so.

Z28Taxman
12-08-2005, 11:36 AM
You'll definately would need to find out if Israel allows birds to be imported.

Elle
12-08-2005, 12:31 PM
And if you can bring your lovebird back to the US from Israel before you leave

Mummieeva
12-08-2005, 01:24 PM
I hate to say this but I have a feeling with all the bird flu scares around you may not be able to take them. I would contact the school your going to and ask them how to find out that information. Also maybe try and find someone in Isreal who has birds they might know.

Steph

CaptMicha
12-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Um, I don't think two lovebirds would be allowed in the passenger section! If they were, then the passengers would be sure to kill me for making their 17 hour flight misable with constant "screaming" that lovebirds do. Lol.

I doubt the bird flu thing will have calmed down by next year... I just hope this is possible and that I can bring them back too. If only birds were sedatable!

linda040899
12-10-2005, 01:57 PM
There are several airlines the do allow animals as carry-ons in the cabin. Continental is one of them. Since Delta also has live shipments, I would imagine they would also allow birds in the cabin as long as they are in an airline approved carrier that would fit under a seat. Most animals are very quiet during transport so the other passengers might not even know they were there.

Truthfully, my best suggestion is to find someone here in the US to keep them for you. Bird Flu is on the rise for one thing and getting them back into the US may not be so easy. I would check with US Department of Fish and Wildlife to see if they would need to spend 30 days in a US quarantine station upon return to the US. My guess is that the answer would be yes. At the moment, there are 2 quarantine stations, one in New York and the other in San Ysidro, CA. There is a charge/day ($1.75/bird/day last time I had birds quarantined in San Ysidro) and you supply all food, plus pay for testing.

Please give this a lot of thought, as I think your lovies might just be safer here than going with you.

CaptMicha
12-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Cost really isn't an issue, I'm willing to pay anything. And my birds stop eating and pluck their feathers when they're more than a day away from me.

My family isn't willing to take care of them for me b/c they're some what afraid of them b/c they turn into devils when I'm not around.

My friends don't like animals so much, that would leave giving them up. I know I can't do that. They're really attached to me and vise vera.

The only saftey issue I see here is the actual traveling part b/c I have no idea what to expect and wonder if there are really extreme conditions. How would they contract bird flu in quarantine???

They're loud traveling too. They never stop talking in the car, they might get scared with the flying feeling and quiet down for a little while but the flight is 17 hours.

I can always go extra early so it won't be too hot or too cold. Heating pads, ice pads, etc. should be allowed too. Right?

Mummieeva
12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
These are two links to things i found about taking a bird. You will need a full vet check and permits. I have a friend who lives there also and when I can find her on-line I will ask her help also. Please read these as from the few facts I have found you have to worry about bringing them back also. it has hints on travel aand airline rules too.

http://www.mof.gov.il/customs/eng/pets.htm
http://www.nal.usda.gov/awic/companimals/travelpets.htm

BarbieH
12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
As I understand it, "quarantine" means that they are in a room with other birds in quarantine. They do not have separate rooms. So, if another bird in quarantine is sick, there is a chance yours could get sick too.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife does not test for sickness in quarantined animals; they watch to see if they die or show obvious signs of illness. Their MO is to keep the U.S. population free from incoming disease, not to protect incoming animals. I'm not sure how other countries handle this.

linda040899
12-11-2005, 01:37 PM
As I understand it, "quarantine" means that they are in a room with other birds in quarantine. They do not have separate rooms. So, if another bird in quarantine is sick, there is a chance yours could get sick too.
Birds in quarantine are separated by incoming shipment. For instance, if I have 20 birds in quarantine, they will be in a separate area than are birds that came in in another shipment. If the shipment is just one bird, that bird will be housed individually. No, they will not treat for illness unless specified by the owner of those birds before they enter quarantine. If the owner is willing to pay vet costs, by all means, a sick bird will be treated. The questionable male Abyssinian that came in in the import shipment last year finally died about a month ago. Necropsy report returned that the bird had suffered a stroke during transport from California to Florida and the bird was indeed healthy when it left quarantine. I just found out about that yesterday.

BarbieH
12-11-2005, 01:41 PM
Ah, thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know for sure. Still, if one bird in a multi-bird shipment is sick, the others could also get sick. And if all birds are shipped in a plane with other birds, they could pick up something in the hold.

linda040899
12-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Oh, yes. One sick bird in a shipment can cause the entire shipment to be sick. At the moment, incoming birds are routinely tested for avian influenza and nothing else. Other tests can be done but they have to be requested and the owner is charged extra for those tests. A sick bird on the plane can also cause other birds to become ill. I'm always happy when I hear that I have the only bird booked for the entire flight!