PDA

View Full Version : Reappraising my outdoor aviary

Auntie Ron
12-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi,

It has been a bit since I have posted; I normally seem to figure things out on my own but I should really share more on this site for the valuable insights.

As most of you have read previously, my lovebirds (seven adults) were moved outside into an outdoor aviary which i built. They were moved early to mid-October. I installed three heat panels on the ceiling with perches just under them so that they can break the chill of our cold desert nights and winter days.

So far so good, it seems these little guys are powerhouses and seem to be thriving well. I have four nest boxes, two pairs were definately bonded and the odd three seemed happy to be a trio.

Well just before evening last night I came in from school to find one of them on the bottom of the cage looking exhausted, just sitting there puffed up. I looked up to the others and the perches were covered in blood. I was able to determine this is one of the odd three. I immediately set up their old cage in my bedroom and ran out there and retrieved her ( assuming it is a her), she was no problem picking up at all; just let me scoop her right up. Her right foot is covered in blood and along her belly where she had been tucking it up under her. I searched for any opened wounds but all I can tell is that the scales seem stripped from her foot.

This morning she is doing well, eating and drinking, not alot of jumping around. She has been screeching a bit because she can hear the others outside thru the window. I believe she will have to stay indoors thru the rest of the winter until spring. I will get her on some antibiotics today just incase of infection.

My thoughts on this is that I know the odd three have been sleeping together in one nest box, whereas the other two pairs have thier own boxes; and that two of the three decided for what ever reason that she was an intrusion in their box and there was an attack. They may have been trying to get her to move on to her own box to find her own mate although she still wanted to be with her trio setup. (although this threesome arrangement might have been two males and one female, or even two females with one male) I understand that females can be the deadliest when laying down the law in regards to her own chosen box. All of this is speculative for now.

I feel terrible this happened and still feel dread and trepidations about having them out there, especially since a few nights have dropped as low as 19 degrees. They do utilize the heat panels during the day, but at night they all utilize the boxes which sit just adjacent to the panels. There is no way the boxes are maintaining any significant heat from the panels. So my mind has been thinking in regards to the cold.

My thoughts were this could also be a self inflicted wound. Since this is the first time that any of them have experienced cold air like this, there is the off chance that her foot became very cold. Since I know when my hands get cold they hurt like heck. She could have actually bitten her own foot in response to the pain she was feeling. I am only guessing, so having her here in the house to recover for the winter seems my only option, but not offering an actual explaination as to what took place.

I, like most of you, feel that lovies should be pets and that they should be protected from the elements and danger. It is our only job really to make sure they are safe, sound, and healthy. These little ones however have always been together in the same cage, and not much room considering how aggressive they can be with one another. This is mainly why I felt they would be perfect for an outdoor aviary. I have always considered them a wild flock given their past years together in one cage. I am the third owner of this flock and they have not been allowed to raise young. So having nest boxes is a new concept for them and now that a few months have past, I may very well be seeing the outcomes of what takes place when territory and pairing off happens.

I would love some insight from those that have several pairs together in an aviary situation. Do you keep them in pairs only, or do you allow an odd bird out to remain? I am assuming that my specific number ratio might have caused this birds inevitable conflict with a bonding pair, whereas before the nest boxes there were no attacks on one another since there was no reason to defend any territory.

I think alot about what will happen once babies start arriving, and one of my main concerns is that there is the greatest possibility that these are all related birds. I decided that I do not want more birds than what I already have and would likely trade one baby for a mate for this odd bird out. This would introduce new blood as well as pair her off so that she would not be part of the trio anymore. The rest of the young would be sold to recoup expenses and feed. I may very well find myself removing eggs in the future to prevent a population boom and to prevent myself from the problems of finding adequate homes for them. I see ads in the Thrifty Nickle (local sales paper), with baby lovies for sale all the time. So I am pretty certain that there are probably more lovies than there are homes for them at this point in time.

Sorry for such a long post, I guess i let it build up in me before getting all these thoughts down on a post. I will try to be more diligent to smaller rants and raves.

As for my little injured lovie, I am certain she will be fine now that i have her indoors and safe. She is being active for the moment and that is a good sign overall. She scared the dickens out of me when i found her all puffed up and feeling bad. Her injury will heal and eventually Spring will be here and I will determine if it is safe for her return to the flock, otherwise she can remain her in the house with me and maybe a future partner (for her) if that works out.

Wishing everyone a safe and warm Holiday Season, ...Biggest Huggs, Auntie Ron

Paulette
12-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Oh Ron....I'm so sorry to hear your lovies are not getting along in the aviary....I will be curious how you should go about reintroducing this lovie and a future mate.....since it is not recommended to put new birds in (cold turkey) so to speak.....because you may have the same kind of reaction and problem.

Now I know you wanted responses from single cage aviary people, which I'm not...but I can tell you this....while I've had some birds with nest boxes and eggs....the ones without harrass those with eggs rediculously....I have had to quit allowing out of cage time for my birds without eggs because they go immediately to those with eggs and stand on the boxes and cause trouble or get onto the cage and fight through the bars.....this is per species....the lovebirds did it to each other and the budgies did it to each other....I can still let the tiels out because none of them have eggs and they don't bother the other species....I guess it's part of (Survival of the Fittest).

Good Luck....I still love that aviary!

BarbieH
12-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Ron;

I don't have an outdoor or indoor aviary, just pairs of birds in cages. Based on what I have heard other breeders say, though, most likely this wound was inflicted by one of the other birds. This odd bird out may have been attacked by the other female when her nesting instincts kicked in.

I have also heard breeders say that you want an odd number of pairs in a communal situation, and that once you have the aviary set up, you should not attempt to introduce a new pair or single bird. Based on that, I would leave the aviary population as-is. Getting a mate for the odd bird out is a possibility, but of course there are no guarantees they will accept each other, in which case you would have two odd birds out.

As for temperatures, 19 degrees seems quite cold. Do you have the ability to add insulation, like a heavy-grade plastic, to the outer walls of the aviary? How thick are its walls and ceiling? Do those heat panels provide radiant heat, meaning that they heat objects rather than the air itself?

Please let us know how your wounded bird does at the vets.

Best wishes,

Auntie Ron
12-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Hi,

Tonite the little lovie is doing very well, although one thing I have noticed is that she is much stronger now than when she first went out two months ago. Having her back in her original cage reveals how much strength freeflight has had on her over that time out there. I swear she nearly moved the cage itself just by flying from one perch to the other. She is setting alongside a large mirror and has taken to talking to the mirror and keeping herself company in this warm quiet environment her in my room.

I agree that there is a chance she may not accept another as an actual mate, but i am pretty sure she would definately benefit from the company of another over the next year. It would require next spring, and then also the arrangement of trading a lovie baby for a lovie baby, so there is plenty of room to speculate what might possibly work. I am sure i will just bond with her by then and we would be the inseparable duo LOL 8)

The panels i purchased for outdoors are definately radiant panels. I spent over 300 for the three panels. Each panel reaches 140 degrees; the birds would have to perch in front of them which is set up on a two-tier level so that they can adjust themselves accordingly.

Earlier i did some searching and found a site with some fabulous pictures of wild lovebirds in Arizona; several cities were mentioned. Surprizingly, my growing zone is 8a and very similar to alot of Arizona; we are less than three hours drive to the border. I know their deserts get just as cold, maybe just not as frequently, but every year seems to present a different, ever-changing winter for us.

Here are two links about the loose lovies in AZ, take a look at the lovies on the Saguaro cactus...now that is amazing!
http://mirror-pole.com/collpage/pf_loveb/pfl_1.htm
http://www.lovekisshugs.com/lovebirds.html

There are several people whom I have met over the years that have kept thier exotic birds outdoors year-round with no heat at all here in the desert southwest. Everything from Macaws to budgies, with excellent results. My use of heat is only because i am a big wuss when it comes to cold temps :cool:

I think she was innocently attacked based on their natural behavior, she will recover well with a slight awareness of the fact i do care and mean no harm to her. I think she will make an excellent pet. I guess a name is now in order, previously i always had trouble with the threesome telling them apart. I always called them the three "Ps", Pricilla, Percy, and Penny... i am actually leaning towards Pricilla. What do you all think ?

Thanks for the responses, all of your thoughts are welcomed.

Huggs again, Auntie Ron

butterfly1061
12-10-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm glad to hear "Priscilla" is doing well. :happy:

I remember seeing pictures of your outside aviary when you first joined us - beautiful. Do you have any you can post showing the heat panels? It might help some understand where the heat goes since you said it doesn't heat the nestboxes.

Thanks for the links to the wild LB's in AZ. I've read about them before and they are gorgeous. It's good to hear from you again - too long between posts ;)

Paulette
12-10-2005, 10:26 PM
So glad to hear Pricilla is doing well......I enjoyed the links to the wild lovies in Az.....very interesting.....perhaps you can bond with Pricilla and if she is female they learn to talk more readily than the males...wouldn't that be fun?

linda040899
12-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi Ron,
With lovebirds, once you set up a flight aviary, birds cannot be added later. The same fate will meet new additions that happened to the singleton you removed from the flight. Birds will usually set their own boundaries within the flight but there's no saying that what happened to your single lovie can't happen again. That's the main reason my lovebirds are housed in pairs. I've had a couple of smaller flight cages and the birds within them got along extremely well, mostly because they all grew up together and I had nestboxes, food and water dishes for each pair well spaced throughout the large cage.

Lovebirds are very prolific and you will soon find yourself with lots of young. Stopping them from breeding can be a lot more challenging that getting them to start. Breeding should be done responsibly with good, loving homes for the youngsters in mind as your end goal. I've never had acceptable results from just placing ads in local newspapers. I've gone to bird shows and found myself doing a heck of a lot more talking than selling. I want my babies to find good homes, not just homes where care may not be as good as it would be if they were to stay here with me. Just because someone answers a for sale ad doesn't mean that one of my birds is going to find a proper home.

While your singleton lovebird may like seeing the reflection in the mirror, this is actually a very bad thing. She will bond to that reflection and then you're really going to have a problem getting her to accept a mate! You need to replace the mirror with toys and attention from you.