PDA

View Full Version : Christmas trees

Mummieeva
12-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I have a question. Can I put a real tree in the bird room? I ask because I am going to have company who is allergic to real christmas trees. I thought about putting it in bird room so i still have one but she is not near it. The birds are only allowed out if I am in room with them. But judt wanted to be sure it is safe fume wise.I know weird question.lol.

Steph

p3rr4n
12-09-2005, 11:20 PM
We have our real Christmas Tree in here with us and Trixie is fine.

For any new lovie owners out there I would just be careful that you dont allow your lovie access to it (lights, wires, electrical chords etc).
To many things can go wrong if a lovie was to interact with a decorated tree.

shylevon
12-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Ensure the tree is not 'flocked'. This is a snowy spray they put on the trees to make it more seasonal looking. Flocking is harmful to birdies.

Ask the tree seller where the trees are from. Try to ensure they have never been sprayed with insecticides or other chemicals while growing.

Birdies should be kept away from live trees, as the sap from most can be harmful if injested. Also, some trees can cause skin irritations if there is contact with the needles and branches.

Janie
12-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Yep, other than flocked which I did have BEFORE I had Oliver, a real tree is fine. That flocked tree was the most beautiful tree I've ever had but my vet told me that was a definite NO for birds. Even if they don't get into the tree, the flocking is dangerous and apparently the fumes go through the house.

Mummieeva
12-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Thank you all. We do not put lights on our tree. With having 2 toddlers it is not good..lol. I would never flock a tree as it is not pretty to me(sorry to those who like them). We go to a place were you cut your own down. So I will call and ask them. The type we get is a blue spruce. Thank you again.

Steph

shylevon
12-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Oh, I love blue spruce trees. I am sure it will be very lovely, and will give the birdies great enjoyment over the Christmas season.

Will the birdies be able to view their little millet presents, set down with love, under the gorgeous tree??

p3rr4n
12-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Aunty Shy, you may love trees but I love you!!!

Love,
Trixie Bunny

:)

Mummieeva
12-10-2005, 07:51 PM
LOL They are getting new sheader toys and maybe a new heated perch:D

Steph

Elle
12-10-2005, 07:58 PM
LOL They are getting new sheader toys and maybe a new heated perch:D

Steph

You forgot the most important!

:happy: lots of wrapping paper to shred:happy:

Angelwing
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Wow, lots of you use real trees. :( I'm perfectly fine with a fake tree, and refuse to use a real one. But that's just me.

At least you don't put lights on your tree if the birds are going to be in the same room as it. I wouldn't want to think what might happen. Still, be careful!

Buy A Paper Doll
12-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm the real minority in that I don't have a fake tree or a real one. Not even a little Charlie Brown Christmas tree, although I've entertained the thought of putting a little forest of them on the buffet. After all of the construction is done in our living room next week, MAYBE, just maybe, I will consider putting a tree up. But probably not. Bah! Humbug. ;)

butterfly1061
12-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Well, my fake tree is up and decorated. I even put tinsel on it. I had said previously, when this same discussion came up, that my birds don't like the tree. Spoke too soon :whistle: Daisy & Piper don't like the tree at ALL!, but Molly now thinks the star on top belongs to him and is an ideal perch :omg: I'll have to keep an eye on that little featherbutt - who btw has bitten me twice in two days :(

Buy A Paper Doll
12-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Oh, Molly, Molly, Molly, don't you know you're not supposed to bite the Momma That Feeds You?

Z28Taxman
12-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Oh, Molly, Molly, Molly, don't you know you're not supposed to bite the Momma That Feeds You?

Yeah, you're supposed to bite the toes! :whistle:

I don't have a tree up either. I have a small fake one in the basement but I never get around to putting it up.

Mummieeva
12-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I told husbands mom about the tree and she said I spoil my birds to much..lol. I would lvoe to skip a tree this year but I get called scrouge and knowing my husbands mom she would go buy me an ugly fake tree and put it up herself here.lol

Steph

p3rr4n
12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
Dear Dave and Jennifer,

SINCE YEW DONT HAVE A TREE UP I AINT GONNA BUY YOU NO RESENTS YEW SCREWGEZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >:

:rofl:

Z28Taxman
12-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Dear Dave and Jennifer,

SINCE YEW DONT HAVE A TREE UP I AINT GONNA BUY YOU NO RESENTS YEW SCREWGEZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >:

I'll put the tree up if there's gonna be a GCC under it. :p

Buy A Paper Doll
12-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Bah! Humbug.

p3rr4n
12-10-2005, 11:15 PM
I'll put the tree up if there's gonna be a GCC under it. :p

Uhhh, yer sposed to put a twee up without condishuns

>: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:( :( :( :(

p3rr4n
12-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Bah! Humbug.

Fine, be that way and while the restest of us are opening up presents while our lovied ones shred paper, YEW can sit outside in the cold snow and SUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>: :mad: >: :mad: :omg: :omg: :omg: :mad: >: :mad: >:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Z28Taxman
12-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Uhhh, yer sposed to put a twee up without condishuns

>: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >: >:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:( :( :( :(

Ok, the GCC doesn't have to be under the tree. He can be on top of it. :whistle:

p3rr4n
12-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Ok, the GCC doesn't have to be under the tree. He can be on top of it. :whistle:

hahaha, only if I get one tew! You know Im a sucker for them rascles.

Just think of the possibilities!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mummieeva
12-11-2005, 12:10 AM
:eek: :omg: My hubby told me I might be able to get a lovie for my birthday and Christmas gift together. Only thing is not a show near me for awhile.:cry: Maybe I can find me one though..lol.

Steph

Luckys mom
12-11-2005, 05:47 AM
I use a birch tree with very sparse decorations. They can sit and chew the branches to their hearts content!

Buy A Paper Doll
12-11-2005, 10:02 AM
"...sit out in the cold snow and suffer!" Hee hee! It will be about 70 degrees on Christmas day. I'll gladly go outside. :)

Z28Taxman
12-11-2005, 10:23 AM
"...sit out in the cold snow and suffer!" Hee hee! It will be about 70 degrees on Christmas day. I'll gladly go outside. :)

It was in the 70's here one Christmas. It was horrible. It didn't even feel like christmas while wearing shorts. :p

Buy A Paper Doll
12-11-2005, 11:51 AM
You get used to shorts on Christmas. We just wrap lights around the palm trees and go with it. Someone in this area, I'm told, even has light up pink flamingos pulling Santa's sleigh in their front yard.

p3rr4n
12-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey Jennifer,

It wont be 70 degrees if I use my technical admin powers to change your weather conditions !!!! :evil: :whistle:

Z28Taxman
12-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Hey Jennifer,

It wont be 70 degrees if I use my technical admin powers to change your weather conditions !!!! :evil: :whistle:

We should dial up a big blizzard for Florida! :evil: :evil:

Buy A Paper Doll
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Is that why it's miserable wet and cold today? ;)

p3rr4n
12-11-2005, 03:20 PM
We should dial up a big blizzard for Florida! :evil: :evil:

Yeah! Lets dews it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meet me online in an hour :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:p

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:lol

p3rr4n
12-11-2005, 03:21 PM
Is that why it's miserable wet and cold today? ;)

Yep.

Still wanna mess wif me? I can do far worse. Consider today just a warning shot.

*Remember, Im pretty good wif computerz*

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:wink:

butterfly1061
12-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Umpf! I'm writin' Santa right now and tellin' him what you're up to P. He's gonna get you good if you don't watch it. You don't want Trixie goin' without toys & stuff for christmas do ya? You better leave our warm weather alone (for now) :p

There! Jen, that should take care of it :wink:

Buy A Paper Doll
12-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah!

shylevon
12-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey, Santa is my next door neighbor. In fact, I feed his reindeer when he is out of town. So, you all better behave or I'll put in a nasty word to him about all your transgressions.

Oh yes, you'd better be real good to me, or else.

Buy A Paper Doll
12-12-2005, 08:20 PM
All right. FINE. <huffs and sighs> I put up a tree. It's 16" tall - one of those old ceramic ones with the light on the inside. The real tree will go up this weekend, after I clean up the mess from the contractors and repaint the wall that they will be tearing up, etc. etc. etc. (See why I didn't want to put up a tree? :P )

Janie
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Jennifer, I am a tree freak but if I were dealing with what you are dealing with, I would NOT do it! Santa will find you, tree or no tree! :D

p3rr4n
12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Umpf! I'm writin' Santa right now and tellin' him what you're up to P. He's gonna get you good if you don't watch it. You don't want Trixie goin' without toys & stuff for christmas do ya? You better leave our warm weather alone (for now) :p

There! Jen, that should take care of it :wink:

Shy loves her Trixie Bunny and would NOT let Trixer go without Christmas so your threat is NULL AND VOIDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p3rr4n
12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
All right. FINE. <huffs and sighs> I put up a tree. It's 16" tall - one of those old ceramic ones with the light on the inside. The real tree will go up this weekend, after I clean up the mess from the contractors and repaint the wall that they will be tearing up, etc. etc. etc. (See why I didn't want to put up a tree? :P )

Good for you!

p3rr4n
12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Jennifer, I am a tree freak but if I were dealing with what you are dealing with, I would NOT do it! Santa will find you, tree or no tree! :D

JANIE!!!!!!!!!!! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh or your gonna ruin my trick!!!!!!!
:wink:

p3rr4n
12-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Hey, Santa is my next door neighbor. In fact, I feed his reindeer when he is out of town. So, you all better behave or I'll put in a nasty word to him about all your transgressions.

Oh yes, you'd better be real good to me, or else.

Shy, you rule. Plain and simple. <insert applause here>

Z28Taxman
12-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a big pine tree within view of my window does that count?

I can't bring it in since it's 100 feet tall. :happy:

Buy A Paper Doll
12-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a big pine tree within view of my window does that count?
Sure, that counts. Did you hang ornaments in it???

On a slightly related note, someone on my block has covered every inch of their house, roof, and yard with Christmas lights. It is a sight to behold. They have incorporated their children's old plastic PlaySkool play house into the theme by stapling icicle lights to it and putting their light-up plastic Jesus in it. The light-up plastic Mary and Joseph are too big to fit in there so baby Jesus is in there all by himself. Light-up plastic Santa is visiting the Nativity scene as well, bringing light-up presents in a sleigh fashioned out of a child's plastic car (you know, the ones with the hole in the bottom for their feet to walk through) being pulled by light-up plastic reindeer. Since this is Florida (no snow) they have also made a carpet of lights on the lawn and lined the driveway with giant light-up candy canes. The whole thing makes me twitch, personally, but their kids think it's the greatest thing ever and that's all that matters.

Humbug.

Z28Taxman
12-12-2005, 09:50 PM
Well the tree does have snow on it, and I have real icicles hanging on my house. :p

Buy A Paper Doll
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanx for fixing my quote, Perran! :) My 'puter is quite persnickety these days.

p3rr4n
12-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanx for fixing my quote, Perran! :) My 'puter is quite persnickety these days.

Your welcome. Look at it this way. I finally did something besides run my smart mouth for a change.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

p3rr4n
12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Well the tree does have snow on it, and I have real icicles hanging on my house. :p

Dave,

According to the Official Christmas Tree Users Guide, Page 1843, paragraph 4, sentance 7 and I quote "If the tree ain't inside, it sho' don't count".

Mummieeva
12-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Jennifer get a picture of that Pleassssseeee. I would love to see it. We are getting a very small tree after Saturday. Husband does not want the tree in bird room.:rofl: He is scared of Baggy.

Steph

Janie
12-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Jennifer, I am sure that is a sight to behold! :D Several years ago we had neighbors who lit everything that was lightable! The traffic that came by our house, to see THAT house was unbelievable! But, I have to admit, when my kids were younger and we went on our "lets go look at lights" tour, we never enjoyed the tasteful houses, just the gaudy ones! They used to beg me to do the gaudy decorations but much as I love 'em, I just could not do it! :lol

BarbieH
12-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Light-up plastic Santa is visiting the Nativity scene as well, bringing light-up presents in a sleigh fashioned out of a child's plastic car.
Jennifer, there's a house in my town that has done a nativity being visited by Santa and a couple of large, plastic Smurfs. It's a lot of fun to drive around here and look at the lights. :D

Buy A Paper Doll
12-13-2005, 06:38 PM
My niece saw someone driving a big pickup truck that was decorated with Christmas lights. In the bed of it were giant electric candles. Outstanding.

I still want a sleigh for the front yard, being pulled by 8 pink flamingoes.

butterfly1061
12-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Now Smurfs are too much :rofl: I just want a bigger spiral tree. My snowflakes are bigger than the minature one I have :p

Buy A Paper Doll
12-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Heather, don't feel bad. After all that fuss, we didn't bother putting one up at all this year. I did cover the bushes in the front yard with hundreds and hundreds of little white lights, though, so Santa will find us, I'm sure. ;)

Oh - and incidentally, the light-up plastic Nativity with Santa that I mentioned earlier in this thread, won 3rd place in the community holiday decorating contest. I'm speechless.

Mummieeva
12-18-2005, 02:22 PM
We put up a 8 inch tall Pine tree branch..lol. With kids and birds I jsut did not wnat to this year. All our gifts are in the computer room at the moment.

Steph

LauraO
12-18-2005, 10:07 PM
We bought a tree but have been so busy with other things it's just sitting dead and not decorated:x