PDA

View Full Version : Plucking, Need Help, PLease!

CaptMicha
12-09-2005, 11:31 PM
I know there's been a bunch of posts about this but I've tried everything.

I have a huge pinyata in Clover's cage, 24/7. I have preening toys, plenty of other fun toys, his cage is spacious. He has a bird bath 24/7. I provide full spectrum lighting, spend time with him, he's in a quiet place. I've also had him tested for any medical reasons for the plucking, which came back negative.

He just will not stop. My vet mentioned a lamp shade but I think he would knock himself out trying to get it off.

Some one help?

Mummieeva
12-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Only thing I can think to try is change things in cage around and hope it throws Clover off for a bit.

Steph

shylevon
12-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Birds pluck for several reasons, and if you have investigated medical reasons, to no avail, it is time to consider environmental ones.

Birds pluck if they are exposed to cigarette smoke or other pollutants. If you smoke, or someone else in your house does, it may be time to move the bad habit outdoors. Don't use air fresheners or candles in the house as these will cause a nasty plucking problem.

Dry skin also gets birds a-plucking so increase oil bearing seeds in the diet, like safflower and sunflower.

Full spectrum lights should only be used for a max of three to four hours a day. Longer durations cause an upset in normal daily and seasonal cycles.

Birdes can begin to pluck because of bordom, but also because of overstimulation. These situations may have once been present and are no longer, but the bad habit has taken root. It can be difficult to stop a habitual plucker, but if you can discern the reasons for the plucking, you may have some hope of stopping it with behavior modification.

graushill
12-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Hello Micha,

I just wanted to add that diet can also play a part in plucking. In some cases too much or too little of some nutrient, and even food allergies can onset a plucking episode. With the help of your vet, you could maybe re-examine their diet and look for possible culprits. Overnutrition could specially be a factor if your bird's diet is pellet based, but even in seed based diets it could be an issue if the seed mix composition includes a high percentage of the fattiest seeds. Changing seed mixes periodically, and maybe custom making a seed mix, could maybe help. Some birds become allergic to spirulina, an ingredient found in some pellets. As I understand it, spirulina is a great source for vitamin A but it has been linked to plucking, specially in larger birds.

Plucking is a difficult problem to deal with because whatever the onset cause, it sometimes becomes a habit, like Shy said. One of my birds is a plucker, and we've tried all we can think of to make him stop, but so far haven't found a permanent solution. One thing that does help with the dryness specially now that the weather has turned colder is nice showers with aloe vera. That helps keep his bald patch soft and supple, and seems to help with the itching.

I hope this helps a little and that the cause for his plucking is something easier to deal with than a behaviour. In any case, if he's not sick, do remember that plucking is mostly an esthetic problem, but if he's happy and active then don't beat yourself up too much about it. My vet said that many "parents" to birds that pluck feel really guilty and angst ridden about it, in many cases suffering much more about the plucking than their birdie. She said to remember, if you are doing you're best, then more can't be asked and your bird is still lucky to have you as a parent :).

Good luck,
Gloria

CaptMicha
12-10-2005, 09:52 AM
He doesn't get those seeds in his diet. Well, sometimes as a treat. He's on pellets because he won't eat a complete diet and was underweight before the pellets. He's now exactly the perfect weight as according to my vet. He used to pluck on the seed diet too, and I tried different kinds.

I also only leave the light on, indirectly, for two hours a day. His toys are mixed up and changed around.

He's always been in these same conditions. My room, with the door closed so he sees me a lot but doesn't get house noise or other people or my dog making him nervous.

I also keep on a humidifier for them. Oh, and I don't smoke or use any fragrances or anything like that in their proximity.

I've seen him pluck when he's nervous, like if I have I'm in the room and I don't take him out of his cage fast enough. Then I tell him, baby, no plucking. And he stops. But the problem is when he does it when I'm not around. I've also tried calming music before but stopped. I think I'll start that again.

And I wonder why my origional post was re-submitted. Sorry bout that.

bellarains
12-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Hey Micha,

All else failing, you might want to at least give the E-collar a try. If it is a behavioral issue, this might break the habit.

BTW, what tests did your vet run? Did they do a blood test? C&S? If you can give us some tests results, that may help also.

Let us know how it's going.

Elle
12-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Micha,
I've had a plucker too. We never found what was causing it. We were thinking it was either due to moving into a different house or sexual frustration. We had a little boy who did the swishy swishy thingingy on a tissue that I had to hold for him 5 or 6 times a day. He was in absolute awe in front of me.
Don't give up. And don't forget that even he is plucking, it doesn't mean that he is unhappy or unhealthy.
As far as the collar goes, we tried that with the Bird and I found it did more damage then anything else. He was plucking his chest only. While wearing the collar, it broke other feathers around his neck and caused a lot of irritation. Now we had a little birdie who plucked his chest and his neck.

I remember reading something about vets using a "sweater" made with a sock to keep the bigger parrots warm and prevent more plucking at least until the feathers are grown back. I'll see if I can find that article again. I think I know where it is....
Good luck with your little plucker...

CaptMicha
12-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I wonder if he supresses his desires b/c I've only seen him displaying.... action... with his sister, which is one of the reason they're in seperate cages. Plucked then too.

He lets his chest feathers grow in a little but never lets it all the way.

I'm going to have to contact the vet about the test and the results. I don't remember the names. I know it was blood and the feather test. Both came back negative. I think I'm also going to give the collar a go. If you can find the article on the sock thing, that might be even better and is also worth a shot. PLMK!

If I can't stop it then oh well but I haven't exausted every remedy yet!

graushill
12-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Hello Micha,

I just wanted to say that I didn't mean your lovie could be overweight when I talked about overnutrition, in case that came out confusing. I'm translating the swedish term "övernäring" literally, so I'm not really sure if overnutrition is actually the word for it. But you and your vet know your lovie best, and if you say that he's been doing better on pellets, then that's all there is to it :).

I would also love to read the article about the sock. I did try to make a kind of vest from a sock for Nemo, my plucker, when he first started, as he plucked himself totally bald in the beginning. He only had his wings, head and tail feathers left, and I felt so bad looking at his purple little body :( . In any case, Nemo was a breeder before and is rather wild, so it was not possible for me to put the sock on him. He bit my fingers almost to ribbons and then when I finally managed to pull the neckhole over his head, he just lay there in my hand totally exhausted and looking as if he was dying. I'm not sure if he was playing dead or what, but it was horrible. I took the vest off again, and just cradled him for a while in my hand, tears coursing down my cheeks, until he moved again. It was a very dramatic experience, but I would love to read about how something like that would be properly done, as I'm sure I made all the mistakes you can make when I tried it on my own.

Hugs,
Gloria

CaptMicha
12-11-2005, 11:21 PM
AWWWW! I know how that can be. Lol. Only mine were always pets, you'd think I hit them the way they react when I have to hold them for wing trimmings and medication. This sock thing is going to be quite a trial! That's what extra thick towels are for! :rofl:

Paulette
12-12-2005, 07:57 PM
That's what extra thick towels are for! :rofl:

Just be very careful....an extra thick wash cloth is what I suffocated Sara in trying to help her with her blood feathers. Loose thick cotton gloves with rubber dots on them are better that way you can see what is going on the whole time and the rubber dots keep the bird from slipping in your hand.