PDA

View Full Version : vacation

golucky
12-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Since I am new with lovebirds, I have this question - Is it alright to leave on friday, come back on monday, leave the lovebirds with plenty of water and food, will they be all right pver Christmas? :confused:

golucky

linda040899
12-10-2005, 09:47 AM
No. Lovebirds have a inate ability to get into trouble very quickly so there's no way I would leave them alone that long. Not only that, other emergencies can happen that would be life threatening (loss of electricity, loss of heat) since the weather is cold outside. Lovebirds tend to get their water dirty very quickly and they would not survive your absence for that long a period of time. Even if you leave them a lot of food, chances are that they would eat it very quickly so they could be without food for at least part of the time that you will be gone.

Options would be to board them, take them with you or have someone come in to check on them several times/day.

Janie
12-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Do you have anyone that could come in on Sat. and Sun. to change food and water? That is definitely the best option. Or boarding them.

I will tell you that my adopted lovebird was left for several days and on many occasions, alone with no fresh food or water before we adopted him. I've had him for over two years and he still rations his seed. I think it's because he never knew when he'd get fresh seed so he didn't ever eat all that was there. My concern, more than the seed, would be fresh water because of bacteria. So, in my case, I would not leave my birds alone, even overnight.

Janie
12-10-2005, 09:50 AM
"(loss of electricity, loss of heat)"

After I posted and then read Linda's reply, the loss of electricity would definitely scare the heck out of me.

golucky
12-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks Janie & Linda for your advise and consideration. I live in a retirement center with my wife who has alzhiemers. I will ask one of the nurses to drop by and check each day. I just need to check and find out who will be working over the holidays. The retirement center plans to get some lovebirds for the community after the new year. I told them that I would look after them. Wish me luck. I will probably have lots of questions for you.

golucky

golucky
12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
On second thought, look at my album, see the cage I built for pete and charlie and give me some comments; bad or good.MVC-003S.JPG

golucky

p3rr4n
12-10-2005, 07:36 PM
golucky,

give us the link to the pictures, because we cant see what you tried to show us.

:)

Also, if you have someone come check on them, consider having extra water and food dishes premade and covered and sealed with plastic wrap. That way they can change them every 15 hours or so and lesson the risk of bacteria building up. Make sure not to leave any fresh veggies or fruit in the cage, because those are only good upo to 2 hours.

golucky
12-11-2005, 06:36 AM
I am not sure, but try my link golucky01 and see if you can find my album.

shylevon
12-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Golucky

You will need to post your pictures in a web hosted photo album, like Imagestation or photobucket. Then post the link to that album here and we can all enjoy you pictures. There are instructions for posting an album on the top section of the photo forum. They may be slightly out of date, but Imagestation is an easy album provider to deal with. (Shut up Janie)

We would all like to see your birdies.

Janie
12-12-2005, 08:03 AM
"They may be slightly out of date, but Imagestation is an easy album provider to deal with. (Shut up Janie)"

:D......I know, I know, it did take me forever to figure it out but the new and improved Imagestation actually IS easier for downloads. My problem is that I use it so rarely that I have to start all over every time! :roll:

Paulette
12-15-2005, 03:53 PM
The retirement center plans to get some lovebirds for the community after the new year. I told them that I would look after them. Wish me luck. I will probably have lots of questions for you.

golucky

You will do a wonderful job...you will probably have to monitor the people more than the lovebirds. I am glad you asked the question about being away for the weekend. I used to leave my budgies over the weekend and never had any problems, but since I've gotten more birds I have learned they need daily care.