PDA

View Full Version : Lovies Dropped Off

Angelwing
12-10-2005, 08:44 PM
I was at work today (I work in a petstore, as well as a vet clinic, but I was at the petstore today) when some people came in to drop off two lovebirds. I wasn't up front at the time, so I didn't see what really happened. I asked about it later, and was told that the family was moving and didn't want to bring the birds with them. One bird is two years old, the other a year and a half. One's a fisher, the other a pied peachface. I'm not sure what's going to happen with them, although the owner will try and sell them. I've noticed that we have a bit of trouble selling birds (we get in baby budgies and they are there for months, even up to a year, yet we keep on buying more :/). So, I've been trying to convince my parents that allowing me to have two more birds is no big deal. All my birds stay in my room (besides Buddy, who's lived upstairs for nine years) so it wouldnt be a bother to them at all. I've always paid for my bird's food/toys and make them all sorts of things myself. Really, I don't see what the problem is. :( It's too bad that this hadn't happened about half a year later, when I'll have hopefully moved out. But we'll see what happens. It deeply saddens me when I see unwanted animals. I just want them all.

kimsbirds
12-10-2005, 08:55 PM
I really do commend you for wanting to help out with these abandoned birdies. It takes a special person to rescue unwanted lovies:)
If I can maybe shine a different light on this for you, I might take a gander that the reason your parents aren't allowing you to have 2 more birds now, is that they know and understand that you might be unable to pay for emergency and annual veterinary care with 4 birds instead of 2. Food and toys are just part of responsible ownership and while I understand your sincere wish to help, I also understand what it means to be a parent. If you were unable to pay for the treatment or needs of any of those birds, the responsibility would ultimately fall on your parents shoulders and honestly, I'd rather see parents who put a foot down in this type of situation than just allow it and end up with problems down the road.

Maybe you could assist in finding these 2 birdies a new home? Do you have other friends or acquaintances who could possibly adopt them?
Whereabouts are you located again? Maybe someone on this board could think up some other options for you.
KUDOS for your efforts !!!
K

Angelwing
12-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Ah, the reason they are skeptical for allowing me to have more birds, is because they think it's 'birdy overload' and that I'm being a bit crazy with it. The vet bills wouldn't be a problem as I work at a vet clinic. I mean, sure, my parents like animals well enough, but once it gets over two or three, they just think it's too many.

I don't know that any of my friends would take them, but I'll definitely ask around. The petstore is in Winnipeg, Manitoba, but I don't believe anyone here is from Winnipeg. But maybe they'd know of someone who is and would take them!

kimsbirds
12-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Good Luck !!

PS I can picture you one day, a house full of birds LOL

bellarains
12-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Lisa,

Maybe you can place them through the vet clinic you work at? What better place to find them a new home, than with people who do care enough about their animals to take them to a vet.

In the meantime, try and socialize with them at the petstore all you can. I can only imagine how freaked out they must be, being dumped off, and all they knew. All your time spent with them will be much appreciated by their new owners, and help ensure their placement.

I do indeed know where your heart is. That's why I have seven animals myself. The birds, I bought. The cats are all strays. The dog, a pound rescue, and I have to admit, if I had more space, more time, and more money, I'd most likely have more.

Good luck in finding them a new home, and ditto on the kudos for your loving heart:)