PDA

View Full Version : can i do this...

popal
12-14-2005, 11:29 AM
hi all hope your birds are great:)

i jave a 6ft by 3ft aviary, with 3 cockatiels & 6 budgies can i keep a pair of lovies in with my cockatiels and budgies?

thx 4 any help:)

BarbieH
12-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Nope, the lovies could become very territorial and really hurt, or kill, some of your other birds. They will also need to be quarantined from your current birds for a minimum of 30 days when they first come home, so they will need another cage anyway.

Best wishes,

LauraO
12-14-2005, 12:13 PM
I agree with Barb. Lovebirds are very aggressive to both other lovies and other birds. The danger is increased if there are nestboxes in the aviary as they will attack and kill parents/babies that are in a box they want. I even have to be careful with mine because they will even go after and torment my other parrots which are much bigger than them.

popal
12-14-2005, 12:47 PM
thankyou 4 your replies, i have a cage 4 the lovies anyway but i am not sure if it is sutible... the cage is a 2ft 6inch breeder cage it is 1ft wide and 1ft 6 inch hight is this sutible 4 a pair of lovies?

thx again, Michael

Janie
12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Michael, no, I don't think it's nearly large enough. Not even close. That is the size cage I use to transport my birds to the vet. Just in it long enough to get there and back. They need to be in a cage large enough for toys, swings, several different type perches and food/water dishes. They should be able to flap their wings in every direction without hitting any part of the cage. The cage that I use to house two is 32" wide, 40" tall, and 20" deep. You don't have to have a cage that large but I think 18X18 is the minimum and even that is too small, IMHO.

Buy A Paper Doll
12-14-2005, 05:50 PM
I agree with Janie. Lovebirds tend to be VERY active little birds. They play with toys, swing, run back and forth on their perches, etc. They really need room to play and also to get away from each other if they need to.

My pair are in a cage a similar size as Janie's. I tried keeping them together in a smaller cage (22" wide X 18" deep X 30" tall) but they constantly fought over the top perch.

Angelwing
12-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, the bigger the cage, the better. The cage you have for them now is way too small.

And as everyone else has all ready said, do not have other species together with your lovies. I personally wouldn't put Budgies and Cockatiels together, either. A Cockatiel can do a lot of damage to a Budgie. It's best to stick with same species in a cage.