PDA

View Full Version : Need your animal expert opinions

MaraJade
12-28-2005, 08:33 PM
This isn't lovebird related, but it is pet related and I need some input.

My friend wants me to go with her this Friday to pick out a dog. At first I thought she was going to hit our local shelter, but they only have nine dogs right now and none of them are what she's looking for.

So she found this place down the street from our work - http://www.thepuppypatch.com/pages/2/index.htm

Does this look a bit. . . puppy mill(ish) to you guys? I mean, who "specializes" in that many cross breeds? Seems a bit odd to me.

But then again, the place has been around for a long time and everyone's heard of it. They do offer a health gaurantee....

Opinions please? Everyone wants a cute puppy, but no one wants to contribue to puppy mills. Thanks!

BarbieH
12-29-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm not sure ... I think the only way to find out would be to ask them the source of their puppies, and if they use breeders, what kinds of conditions they require of their breeders.

It certainly looks good on the screen. :) Then again, who is going to make themselves look bad on their own website?

Janie
12-29-2005, 08:25 AM
The site looks good to me, too, and the one year guarantee is not something a puppy mill would offer. I know there are a lot of great rescue sites out there and adopting from the humane society is also a good thing to do for a dog/puppy in need but, IMHO, it is also OK to pay for a dog and to get the breed you want. My sister would not agree with me about that but a pet is a long term commitment and expensive, too, so I would never judge anyone for going to a breeder and buying rather than adopting or rescuing.

We have one pet store in my area that happens to carry the bird seed I use and when I walk in I make it a point to block my view of the puppies behind the glass walls. They ARE puppy mill dogs, I'm sure of that even though management has told me they aren't. While I was there a few weeks ago a man came in looking for a Sheltie (that's what my dog is) and was told they didn't have any but when they do, they run around $1200!!!!! I nearly dropped my jaw! That price is over the top unless it's a dog with champion blood lines and show quality. Those store make me sick. Puppy mills make me sick! I only buy seed there if I get caught short and do my best to avoid them. But, I'm venting.....

I like Barb's suggestion about the questions to ask of the owners of this place.

Kathryn
12-29-2005, 08:35 AM
I used to raise chihuahuas and was always able to find loving parents for my grandpups so never had to use a pet shop to sell my babies.

There are reputable shops that sell puppies for breeders. They usually keep a list of those breeders and their potential breeding schedule so they know when they will have certain breeds available. They should also keep a waiting list of adoptive parents who wish to be contacted when their desired breed comes into the shop.

If the shop's reputation is strong, the vaccinations are current, papers for registration are available and they can show current certification by your state, then chances are you have a nice facility. Most states keep a record of visits to pet shops and any violations etc. Puppy mills are highly observed and discouraged even by AKC.

The puppies should look clean, healthy, have wet cold noses, toenails should be groomed and they should allow you to sit on the floor and play with the babies before making a final choice.

They should also be willing to let your friend have her vet give the puppy a vet check ...this may be part of the guarantee. Usually there is a time period for returning the puppy if she isn't satisfied with the vet's check-up.

Of course, by then, the puppy may have stolen her heart:wink:
Hope this helps.

Buy A Paper Doll
12-29-2005, 08:38 AM
It does look a bit suspicious to me, simply because they have sooooo many doggies to choose from. My opinion is biased, though, because we've always gotten our dogs either directly from the breeder or the humane society. Then again, Milo came from a pet store and who knows who bred him or the conditions he came from.

Sorry, rambling. Like the others said, I would tell your friend to take a bit of time to do some research first. If she's looking for a specific breed, sometimes there are rescues just for that breed and sometimes they have puppies. In my area there are golden retriever rescues, greyhound rescues, etc.

Hope this helps!

LauraO
12-29-2005, 11:27 AM
I would encourage your friend to keep looking aruond if you are in doubt. You can look on the internet and even petfinder to see if there are any dogs in your area as well as maybe looking in the paper. On of our local petshops doesn't sell puppies but every Sunday they allow breeders to come in with their puppies to sell them. This is very popular and they run out quick. At the very least, you can call the place ahead of time and ask them where they get their puppies. We have a puppymill shop here and they get their dogs from Austraila, but they never know what dogs they're going to get until they show up. This is the only place in the state to get a Welsh Corgi (my dream dog) but I refuse to buy from the store because it's obviously a puppy mill.

Good Luck

mjm8321
12-29-2005, 12:56 PM
The site does look good, but like Barb said, would they make themselves look bad on their site? Anyway, my first thought, call the Humane Society and see if they have had any complaints against them. Secondly, go to the shop and see what they dogs and puppies look like...as well as the conditions. Asking the breeder questions can tell you a lot too. They shouldn't try to sell you a puppy...they should let you have the time to look, play with and think about your (or your friends) decision.

Mummieeva
12-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I have gotten dogs from both good breeders,rescues,and even a puppy mill place once(she was a Shiz zu and wonderful dog). That place by looks could be a clean puppy mill. I would go there and look for yourself. I myself did not like the little cubicals the puppies were in. I would ask to see a dogs parents before buying also. My husbands grandmother raises daschund and always shows the parents and parents papers even. Also ask to see papers on the dogs. Never ever belive them when they say they will mail them:rolleyes:

Steph

MaraJade
12-30-2005, 09:08 AM
I guess this is what happens when I don't check the site for a day. :)

Thank you so much for all your opinions.

It's true that they woudln't make themselves look bad on their own site. I guess it all depends on what the actual place looks like.

yes, the health gaurantee is a nice touch. That does make me trust them a bit more. My only concern really was that they breed SO MANY types. I mean, how can you "specialize" in so many things with a staff of five??

I looked them up in the better business bureau and they've only had one complaint in the past year and it was resolved. So. . .

We did try looking at shelters first, but amazingly enough the ones around us don't really have that many dogs at all. I thought they'd be filled to capacity. Maybe a bit longer after the holidays when everyones "christmas presents" are being returned.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. We will keep looking. And if we do go there I will be sure to ask them what standards they require of breeders. Thanks!

Mummieeva
12-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Also make a list of questions to ask them and then see. I will be looking for a dog in 2 months myself and am looking over petfinder daily for birds and dogs..lol.

Steph