PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Wheels

Wheeliegirl
01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
I bought Peachie a hamster wheel. All she does is scream at it! How did you get your birdies to use and enjoy their wheel?

Buy A Paper Doll
01-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Doesn't screaming at it count as enjoying it? ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Honestly, I am not sure as my pair do not have one. I know some other folks on this board have birdeis who use them so I'll let them answer for you. :)

Wheeliegirl
01-07-2006, 09:11 PM
:rofl: :rofl: I guess screaming at it is half the fun! That's funny. Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jennifer!

shylevon
01-07-2006, 11:10 PM
It just takes time. Mine screamed for a day or two, then they had a little nap in it, and then one day it moved a little. It took them a few days to realize they could run in it and enjoy the darn thing. After that, they would line up to have a go at it.

Wheeliegirl
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Do you think it's better to have it mounted near the bottom of the cage, or up away from the bottom next to a perch? She's afraid of it now. Won't even sit on the perch nearest to it. :roll:

Angelwing
01-08-2006, 08:52 PM
I've been thinking about getting mine a wheel. I know they'd love it once they'd figured it out. What size do you guys use?

kimsbirds
01-08-2006, 09:27 PM
I get the regular size, its about 6" across. Make sure you get the solid construction one, not the one where their feeties can slip between the bars. It takes as long as it takes for them to adjust. Some might scream and yell for a week before they'll attempt to check it out, others seem to gravitate to them almost immediately. It all depends on the bird. Of course, *I* (the meanie that I am hehehe) always stick a couple of sprigs of millet inside the wheel to entice them over. Usually works too LOL
Good Luck, and PICS !!!
K

shylevon
01-09-2006, 08:05 PM
If you mean 6" in diameter, that's what mine is too. The running surface is only about 4" across.

I hang mine close to the top of the cage, because they also like to sleep in the wheel. They have a perch right under it, so they can get on board a little easier. Actually, one is high and the other one is a little lower, but then my cage is 6 feet high.

Wheeliegirl
01-09-2006, 08:37 PM
I came home from work today to find that Peachie had pulled the wheel apart at the "seams"! It snaps together, but she somehow figured out how to get it apart. Now I won't be able to leave it in her cage 'cause she'll do it every day. The only wheels I can find, other than this one, is the wire mesh ones. Where did you find yours? Here is a pic of the one I got from Petco:

Er...I was going to put the link here for the Petco web site, but it keeps going to the Microsoft web site???

Trying again: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2114955370

kimsbirds
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
LOL Hollie, We carry that type you're picturing in our Pet Shop, but they're expensive. The ones I get are plain and solid...about $2.99 each. I got mine at PetSmart but I know Walmart here carries them too. If you're close to a Pet Valu, they also carry them. Let me see if I can find a pic...BRB

These are exactly what we use here....:)
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131564991&idx=1
Should be the very first pic...

shylevon
01-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Kimmie, that looks just like my wheel.

That kitten on the can scared me. I thought, 'I can't believe Kimmie lets a kitten get so close to her baby birdies.' And such an intense looking kitty, too.

Wheeliegirl
01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the pic! I've seen those, but have never been able to find a "medium" size one. I'll keep looking around. We'll see if she has pulled it apart this time! Clever little birdies!

Buy A Paper Doll
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
LOL! I have to admit I'm not surprised that Peachie found a "new and exciting" way to play with her wheel. Leave it to a lovebird ....

kimsbirds
01-10-2006, 08:32 PM
LOL , don't worry, that's the ONLY type of kitty that'll ever get THAT close to any of my feathered friends:) I didn't realize the angle of the pic until I uploaded it ... and thought...OMG I wonder how many people are gonna comment on the cat/bird pic LOL

Asue
01-18-2006, 02:00 PM
On the ground or near a perch? Either is good, your lovie will take it's time to check it out. Give her time. Better yet, let her SEE you play with it! Mikey hates to be left out... he even tried to steal my toys! Once he has 'em... he quickly loses interest. :2cents: