PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarianism

Angelwing
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
For years now, I'll I've eaten in way of meat is chicken and fish. Eventually, that changed to just chicken, and now I've pretty much decided to give it up entirely. I've been trying out different recipes, and reading up on nutrional needs, but I'd love to hear some of your favourite recipes. I've never liked cooking, and still don't, but everyone else in my family eats meat, so I'm forced to start cooking. ;p I'm finding that I don't hate it as much as I used to, though. Anyways, if I come across any spectacular recipes, I'll share them too. :)

Mandolin
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I personally don't have any vegetarian recipes because i am pretty big on meat but congratulations on the healthy choice :D . I am sure your lovies are also happy with your choice since they will be able to share in your veggie filled dinner... mmm. I am always looking for new recipes so i will definately keep you in mind if i come across any. ;)

Z28Taxman
01-12-2006, 06:21 PM
I can't help you there. If it doesn't have meat in it, I don't eat it. :rofl:

Eliza
01-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Check out allrecipes.com - they have a vegetarian section that encompasses all sorts: lacto-ovo, vegan - what have you.

Diet for a Small Planet is an invaluable resource for nutrition and how vegetarianism helps the planet... plus it has good recipes.

Beans are a great staple when you are a vegetarian, particularly if you are not going to be consuming ANY animal protein (ie if you are vegan). I'll share one of my favorite snacks:

1)Preheat oven to 350.
2) Cover a cookie sheet or 9x13 baking dish with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray (or brush with oil).
3) Drain and rinse one 15 oz can of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans). Spread chickpeas on cookie sheet. Spray w/ cooking spray.
4) Sprinkle chickpeas w/ some garlic and chili powder and some cumin... and maybe a dash of salt to taste. Roll the chickpeas around to coat.
5) Roast in the oven for 1 hour, shaking the pan every 15-20 minutes.

So nummy :)

-e-

Angelwing
01-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Hey, thanks! I'll be sure to check those out. :)

BarbieH
01-13-2006, 04:18 PM
My favorite, which we had last night, is spaghetti marinara. I cook up a can of crushed tomatos with my own garlic, mushrooms, basil, salt, pepper, pinch of sugar, and olive oil added in. I cook it until the consistency is the way I like it. Then I mix it with the cooked, drained noodles, then add parmesan cheese. (There's probably a soy substitute for parmesan for anyone who prefers not to have the cheese.)

For people who also eat eggs, you can make a tomato sauce dish in a large skillet that's very satisfying. Cook the sauce (same as above) in a skillet until it's reduced to a paste-like consistency. Using the back of a spoon, create little hollows in the sauce; break an egg into each hollow, add a little salt and pepper on top, and cook it to the degree of doneness you prefer. Serve each egg on toast that is brushed with olive oil, sprinkled on top with parmesan. It's a great use of leftover spaghetti sauce. Yum!

Spinach pie is another vegetarian dish that most people don't think of as vegetarian, because it's so good. I don't know any recipes off hand, but they should be easy to find. Most recipes probably use cheese (feta) as well as butter, but you could probably substitute tofu and olive oil and get along just fine. Filo dough is available in most grocery stores now.

bellarains
01-13-2006, 06:14 PM
OK, here's one I know. It is YUMMMMY, that is if you like garlic.

1 bunch broccoli florets
3 cloves garlic(more if you really like garlic)
1/2 cup extra light virgin olive oil
1 box linguini

Crush your garlic and sautee it in the olive oil.

Steam your broccoli to desired tenderness

Boil linguini

Put the broccoli on top of the linguini, pour the olive oil and garlic over it all, mix well and sprinkle with parmesean cheese.

This saves pretty well in the fridge for a couple of days.

For those who aren't vegetarian's, you can put some broiled or grilled boneless chicken breat cut up in this too.

LauraO
01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I personally don't have any vegetarian recipes because i am pretty big on meat but congratulations on the healthy choice :D .

Vegetarianism does not = healthy automatically. I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions. It's also bothersome, for me personally the so much of vegetarian food is heavily processed. I mean it takes a lot of messin' around to make soy taste like chicken, fish, pork, sausage, etc. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've done meat and no meat and found good things about both. I currently eat meat because carbs make me tired and dairy is just not okay. Not only that, but none of my birds are vegetarians:eek: . They love the meat. The worst is my Meyer's Cookie. He instinctively knows when the meat is on. He will hound and hound and hound me until he gets a piece.

If all else fails, brown rice and beans is a whole protein and I really like it. I love to do a sort of refried black bean and add a little coconut mild and throw it over rice. MMMMMMMMM. It's Won Ton's favorite too:D .

Mummieeva
01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
We eat meat here but only red meat once in about eveyr 6 months. We mainly eat chicken and pork if we eat meat. We are a big Pasta and salad family here. Husband has gout so we have to be very careful what we buy and eat now.

Steph

HeatherH
01-13-2006, 07:35 PM
I eat a lot of chicken and fish....I rarely eat red meat at all... I have a hard time with dairy and spicy food so my basic intake is normally a plain chicken breast and a steamed veggie....my husband always looks at me in disgust cause he cant eat anything thats not battered , buttered, salted or fried!!!!

Personally though growing up in a Italian family there are a lot of pasta options that a vegatarian can eat... gnocci ( I dont know if I spelled that right) is a really yummy potato based pasta type meal... and for meals that call for meat you can always use tofu...if cooked right you cant even taste the fact that basically your eating soy :)

Asue
01-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Well... I don't like red meat. Unless it's stacked on a bun with cheese. >o
My mom is Korean and most Korean dishes have tofu as well as red peppers, veggies and sprouts. I really didn't know it was tofu until I was a bit older. We call it "doo-bull".
So... if you like spicy dishes, try looking up some asian menu recipes.

-My mother grew up poor and chicken, pork and beef weren't common food items available. Mostly, tofu was used to substitue for meat in my mom's meal prep. I think this is why I don't like steak or any pork....