PDA

View Full Version : can lovies have 1 percent milk

lara
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
My lovie is determined to eat my sons cereal out of his bowl. We don't let him because I heard that dairy is bad for them but i also recall reading that a little low fat dairy is good. Is this true?

Angelwing
01-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Firstly, your lovebird shouldn't be sharing a bowl with your son. There is harmful bacteria in human mouths which can make birds very sick. Secondly, birds don't have digestive enzymes that are able to break down milk properly, resulting in diarrhea. But birds are able to have certain cereals that do not have high sugar/salt contents. What cereal does your son eat?

Mummieeva
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
A small amount of yogart or chesse is ok but not milk.Atleast thats what I remember. Also I am sure you know but do not let him eat after son or anyone else has ate something. Our saliva is not good for the little ones.

Steph

lara
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I guess that means I will have to be stricter about my lovie trying to nibble on my teeth when i am talking.

lara
01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
my son eats Vector, mini wheats, and multi grain cheerios.

Janie
01-13-2006, 02:39 PM
I know the cherrios and mini wheats are fine but not sure if Vector is a brand or a type of cereal? :confused: I do eat my cereal with milk and my dog also gets a small bowl with a little milk but my lovie, Oliver, gets his pieces on the kitchen table w/o milk. Maybe you can offer a little bowl next to your sons bowl, cereal but no milk.

shylevon
01-13-2006, 05:37 PM
The type of cereal eaten is a concern because some are too high in nutrients like iron for a little birdie. One or two morsels are fine, once in a while, but cereal should not be offered often.

Janie
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM
"One or two morsels are fine, once in a while,"

Shy, that sums up exactly what Oliver eats. I don't give cereal to Big Boi and Shy because they are good eaters and I don't want them to "experience" junk food. Oliver gets a potato chip occasionally, another thing I would never offer the other two. But with Oliver, it really is just a morsel. He doesn't know the meaning of PIG OUT! :D

lara
01-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Huki demands the cereal in the bowl and bites if he can not get it so i guess he will just have to go in the cage when we are eating.Maybe I willtry putting it in a bowl beside him but I doubt he will go for it since he didn't want the cereal that I put on the table. I often feed him a type of porridge made from flax, oats and wheat, is that ok?

Elle
01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Huki demands the cereal in the bowl and bites if he can not get it so i guess he will just have to go in the cage when we are eating.Maybe I willtry putting it in a bowl beside him but I doubt he will go for it since he didn't want the cereal that I put on the table. I often feed him a type of porridge made from flax, oats and wheat, is that ok?

Flax oats and wheat is good. Have you tried the birdie bread receipe? He seems not to be difficult at all when it comes to food. I think he would enjoy the birdie bread as a treat.

I do give cereals to Blu sometimes as a treat. It's part of teh finger food I give her. A little bit should not be that bad. Just like us, I guess, anything is good with moderation. She has her routine in the morning. Her breakfast is cornbread and figs. She doesn't feel excluded when we eat if she has her own special treats :)

Regards,