PDA

View Full Version : Ship lovebirds out of state

chickie0808
01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi all,

I am hoping you can assist with a question. Is there a safe way to ship lovebird chicks, 8 or 9 weeks old from NY to Arizona?

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Thanks,
Ava

Janie
01-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Ava, I'm not sure about that age....are the fully weaned? If they are, I would assume it would be fine to ship them by air. Linda has shipped birds successfully and safely. She can tell you which airlines is her favorite and also what type carriers she uses, etc. I do think I read that she calls ahead to be sure no other birds are on the same flight so that her bird being shipped is not exposed to another bird during the flight. I would also think that your avian vet could give you information on shipping.

linda040899
01-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi Ava,
I use Continental Airlines Live Animal service to ship birds and I've had great success. However, make very, very sure that the babies are completely weaned and will not revert back to wanting to be handfed. Continental is very strict about age (weaned/unweaned) so I think a bit older might be better. Continental does a great job, as long as the birds are capable of handling the trip. 1-800-575-3335 is their phone number. They will explain everything in detail and are very patient if you have any questions. I believe they are the only airline that has no temperature restrictions, as the animal area on the plane is climatized and each carrier is taken to the plane by hand. None are ever left on the tarmac. Cost is roughly $100.00 for weights up to 7#, everything included.

Check our Resource Library for tips on shipping. The article is written by Jean Pattison, a well known breeder here in FL. Hope this helps.

chickie0808
01-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Linda, thanks so much. Continental would be perfect! I will likely ship the birds when they are 9-10 weeks old.

Many thanks,
Ava