PDA

View Full Version : To New Owners, Don't Give Up!

CaptMicha
01-20-2006, 05:12 AM
Chances are if you've joined this site you're not the kind of owner that would give up but I thought I would write this as a bit of encouragement to you and to brag a little.

My two peachfaced lovebirds are finally tame and it's only taken four years!:D

There's been times when I was at my wits end with them but it all pays off in the end. All the money, cage specifications, vets, BITES!!!!, fighting, noise!!!, pain, hurt feelings and everything else, it's completely worth it because until you have a lovebird that loves you, you don't know what love and devotion is!

Anybody else wanna share their hard won success stories?

Janie
01-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Capt, I have been extremely lucky to have adopted a very, very tame older bird and then to add two younger birds that love human interaction BUT, I applaud you and so many other lovie parents that work so hard to gain their trust. I am very happy to hear that your efforts have paid off and this is great information for others who feel that taming their lovebird is hopeless. I've read enough on this forum to know that some will never be as tame as others but with lots of patience, a better relationship can be achieved! :) I do believe that a better bond is always possible! :)

BarbieH
01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
This is right up my alley. Gracie is my work in progress. From where we started, I can't believe where we are now.

Gracie was a stray when we adopted her. She knew how to step up, but she had gone into a pure defensive mode. We don't know where she came from, how she was treated, or how old she was. We knew she was a biter, and a hard biter at that. We learned she hated hands. At one point I gave up on socializing with her at all; she had accepted Tim, who found her outside, but was vicious towards me.

We found this board before adopting her, and shared and learned, taught by Gracie. We learned to read her cues, we learned how not to be bit. (In short, if something triggered her to bite, we didn't do it.) She eventually learned to trust both of us, very gradually.

Here we are, about four years later, and now Gracie will let me touch her beak outside the cage -- if I do it very carefully. The days of her lunging at me are gone, except when she is sitting on eggs. I respect that ...

Great thread! I love thinking about our progress. :D

vickie
01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Peaches and Cream were a breeder pair before I adopted them and after a year, they are no more tame than on the day they came home. I can talk to them and sing to them and they listen but they don't like hands near them. They don't try to attack, just fly away and squawk. I love them anyway as they are definitely members of the family. They bring a lot of merriment to my home. But it would sure be fun to have them sit on my hand.
Vickie

LoveBugs
01-31-2006, 02:34 PM
ive had lil lily for more than a year; she's still terrified of hands, but listens very well. she will step up onto arms anywhere, but you can't touch her...however, she doesn't bite.. i like her as is. she has the others to preen her...

however, she will fly to me occassionally if she knows PP bird is inside my shirt...lol