PDA

View Full Version : How do you find out if a breeder is good

Mummieeva
01-20-2006, 07:02 PM
As you guys might remember I am looking for another lovbird to add to my flock. A lady who lives in Valdosta georgia found me(she is willing to travel up this way to get them to me) and asked if I would like any of hers. How do you find out about if they are good type of breeders of not? She found me through a yahoo group. I found a past post from her saying she was looking for Cockatoos,greys,and 3 diffrent dog breeds. Plus she seems to offer 5 diffrent types of birds,3 breeds of dogs,and hamster also. Does this sound like I should not try getting one her her birds? She (in her e-mails to me) seems to be trying to get me to take a pair of breeders she has. I guess I just wanted to get everyones opinion on this.

Steph

linda040899
01-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Steph,
I would send Rubygem a PM and ask her about this individual. I may also know her so if you send me her name, I may be able to shed some light on this person. I would be very careful about taking breeders from another breeder. Is this a proven pair and why are they for sale? Occasionally, you will have a breeder that is downsizing and you can get a good pair. Normally, the best pairs remain with the breeder that has them.

Janie
01-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Ditto to Linda! Jeanette lives much closer to you than Valdosta and Jackie and I have both bought birds from her. I would at the least call Jeanette and ask her about that breeder but then again, why would you not be looking to buy from Jeanette instead of this breeder in Valdosta?

I did not remember that you were looking to add another lovebird. Are you looking for a Fischers or a Masked? In that case, Jeanette does not have them but she probably could direct you to a breeder in our area (that she trust) who does.

Steph, if you want Jeanette's number, send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

Jezz
01-20-2006, 11:18 PM
The best way to find out if a breeder is any good is to view their birds up close. You should be able to tell if they are a good breeders by the cages their birds are in, the food they offer their birds and the quality of the birds. She sounds very keen to get rid of a breeding pair, sounds to me like that pair have had a few problems. I would ask to go to her place and see her birds rather than have her bring them to you. She obviously has something to hide. Just my :2cents: