PDA

View Full Version : behavior and training

charles
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to this site and recently acquired Samy who I believe is an adult black mask. His colors are really beautiful. I've had him/her for 2 weeks now, and I'm working on taking him out of the cage. He is frightened when I reach in, so I have to grab him gently to take him out. I was told by a bird pet shop to hold him for around 20-30 minutes and pet his head. I've been doing that for the past couple of days and when it comes time to release him he tries to fly away. (His wings were clipped) Do you think thias is something I should continue to do on a daily basis, and if so should I take him out more than once a day? Any info would be greatly appereceiated.

Buy A Paper Doll
01-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi and welcome!

Actually, I would try a different approach. Ultimately you want your bird to trust you. Let the bird come to you instead of reaching in and grabbing him. I consider my birds' cages to be their safe place. If they are in there, and they don't want to come out, I don't force the issue.

Granted, your bird is still getting used to his surroundings so he may not want to come out just yet. What I did to socialize mine is, open the cage door and just hang out near the cage for several hours a day. I talked to the bird, read next to her, ate my dinner next to her, watched TV next to her. Eventually she got nosy and came out. Still I didn't grab her, I just let her explore and then go back when she felt like it.

This method will take a bit of time and a lot of patience, but it will help you build trust with your bird.

I hope this helps!

bellarains
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Charles,

Welcome to the board. We will help all we can to help you and Samy become bonded, and share all we know on how to care for him, so any questions, please ask away:)

If Samy is not struggling or biting when you hold him, that's good, but when you have him out that long, offer him a drink,and also keep some food out for him. If they get hungry or thirsty, they will become nippy, plus they just need to eat and drink;)

I would let him come to you, rather than forcing him out of the cage. Use an extra perch for him to exit on. Grabbing can cause mistrust of hands, and this is something you want to avoid. Since his wings are clipped, and it sounds as if he can not fly, using an extra perch should work well. Just press the perch gently against his abdomen and say "Step up" while pressing the perch gently against his abdomen. After he learns to step up on the perch, start using your forefinger to teach step up, this will help tremendously in the future for getting him in and out of of the cage.

If you feel you are forcing Samy to be held, give him some space and just spend time talking to him. Do this anytime though, even when you aren't holding him. Making what is called contact calls(when he cheeps, you cheep back) will make you part of his flock, and that is a key in earning his trust, which is your main goal. When trust is built, Samy will bond with you. Everyday interact is a must to obtaining trust, and yep, you need to spend at least two times daily for the 20-30 minutes interacting with him, but also talk to him inbetween.

Offer Samy treats such a millet spray by hand. This will help him see hands as a good thing, and also treats are a good reward for spending time with you. Birds do not understand negative discipline, but they sure understand rewards for good behavior:happy:

I look forward to hearing of your progress with Samy, and please post us some pics in the photo forum when you get some.

Elle
01-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Hello Charles and welcome to the board. And congratulation on your new lovebird.
Lori and Steph gave you great advise. The thing that I keep in mind when working with my lovebird is that these little parrots have a short attention span. I would not hold them more then 10 minutes. And I would most likely make 5 minutes holding time the average if that's the route you choose. Anytime you work with your lovebird, to make it enjoyable, don't overwork them. Or it will be harder next time to get their interests. End on a positive note. A lot of praise and maybe a little bit of millet. During teh training process, I don't offer millet in the cage. I use it as a reward.
Does your lovebird come out of the cage at all on its own? With Blu, I would place millet and treats on top of the cage, open the door and let her be. She would come out within minutes to go explore what I put on top of the cage. They are very curious.
THe most important part is you MUSt have fun as well as your mew baby while you work together.:)

Regards,

Janie
01-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Charles and welcome! :) I agree with the above advice, that 30 minutes is a little too long. I would try 10 to 15 minutes, two or three times a day. As far as reaching in and getting Samy, that has been my approach with my two boys (8 month old brothers that I've had since they were 9 weeks old) but they were hand fed and very tame when I got them. If they did not want to come out, I reached in and took them out. Probably not the best approach but it worked for me and now they jump on my hand or arm every time I open the cage because they want to come out. With my older bird, adopted over two years ago, I did let him take his time and waited about a month or two before grabbing him. He was a shoulder bird from the start and would "step up" so I did not have to work hard at getting him out. When I'm home, he is always out but that was his routine long before I adopted him. Just a very laid back little bird who loves to be out and on his human.

Since Samy is an adult and you don't know what his past experiences were, lots of love and LOTS of patience are the key to developing trust. While my older bird was friendly and a non biter, it took several months to develop the trust that I have with him now. :)

Mummieeva
01-24-2006, 01:21 PM
LOL Elle that was Jenn and Lori. I did not get to this post til now and can not add much.

Steph

Elle
01-24-2006, 01:25 PM
LOL Elle that was Jenn and Lori. I did not get to this post til now and can not add much.

Steph

:omg: and I'm doing it again! Sorry about that. I guess that's what happens when the boss walks by and I gotta close the window quickly. I should not rely on my memory anymore . I'm loosing it! :rofl:

Janie
01-24-2006, 03:47 PM
:omg: and I'm doing it again! Sorry about that. I guess that's what happens when the boss walks by and I gotta close the window quickly. I should not rely on my memory anymore . I'm loosing it! :rofl:

:rofl: Bet that happens to several folks here and often! :D

Elle
01-24-2006, 04:00 PM

that's the small price to pay to be honest with you.... this is the only site I can access outside of work related info. I don't know what Linda did but I love it!:D

Z28Taxman
01-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Not me. :happy:

charles
01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Janie and Ellie, thanks for the advice,along with everyone else. I went out and got some spray millot and I tried to give Samy some while I was holding him and that didn't work out. He still seems nervous when I try to let him go, however I let go very slowly with my finger blocking his chest and he stayed for a while until I moved it and he tried to fly away. A birdstore owner told me to hold him for 20-30 minutes because they have a short attention span and it takes them a few minutes to forget that you took them out of their cage unwillingly. I will keep trying and then maybe try to leave the cage open eventually. I read that if you let them go out of the cage on their own your enforcing their dominace and you need to let them know that you are the dominant one. What are your thoughts on this?

bellarains
01-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Charles,

My first thought was, "If you think you are going to be the boss, think again":lol

Seriously, if you ask anyone here, they will tell you they are owned by their bird(s), not that they own their birds. It is true to a point, as we tend to cater to their whims, but in doing so, we earn their love and trust.

Keep up the interaction, but I would try 15 minute intervals. You will have to set up your bonding sessions with your schedule. We all have similar schedules if we work, but some are different. I spend 15-20 minutes with mine in the mornings, go to work, take them out when I get home while making their dinner. After their dinner I take them out again for awhile, put them back in the cage, and then take them out again just before bedtime, just to give you some idea.

Hope all continues to go well.

Mummieeva
01-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Yup I agree. if you think you own the bird your wrong..lol. My pair own me and they know it. Try taking bird to a dim light bathroom and holding him then. That might help. Just remember birds have limits just like people.

Steph

Mandolin
01-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Birds definately run the show. The best advice i can give you is to have a lot of patience. Just like it would take you a while to learn to trust someone new, birds need the same time. Only in their case you are much bigger than them and can be threatening and intimidating at first. But once they realize how much you love them and that you are a great big play gym you will see that the patience is all worth it. I agree with Jennifer when she said to eat dinner by him and talk to him when ever you can. Birds love it when you talk to them (or sing) and it is a great way for them to get used to you. You may even find that when you eat dinner with your bird, he will eat his dinner too. Have patience and never give up on him. I am sure he is a sweet heart and will come around very soon.

Z28Taxman
01-25-2006, 06:45 AM
You may even find that when you eat dinner with your bird, he will eat his dinner too

My Ditto eats dinner with me every night! As soon as I start eating he hops right to one of his bowls and joins in! :cool:

Elle
01-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Charles,

to be honest with you, I disagree with what the pet store owner tells you. A bird that is in an enclosed space will feel threatened. What your bird looks forward to every day is being enclosed for almost half an hour, which is two eternity for any bird, wondering at what point are you going to kill it and eat it.
Knowing what is awaiting for him when you are nearby may not be the best motivator for your bird to get to know you and trust you. Presenting some millet when the bird feels threatenend may not be the best way to entice the appetite either.
As far as when the bird is out and flying about is "reinforcing their dominance"? I doubt it. We clip wing feathers for safety reason and provide limitation until both of you feel comfortable with new agreements. But you want to allowe your lovebird to explore its new surrounding, and reenforce the confidence that there is no danger when stepping out of the cage. All my birds HAVE been free in my house. I've had strong bonds with all my birds.
Currently, I have a lovebird that I adopted on February 3rd of last year. Following her schedule and no intimidation or domination tactics, her and I are having so much fun together now. She was not tamed or hand fed when I got her. She was timid, quiet and scared of her own shadow when she first came to our house.
Now, even with clipped wings, she wants to spend time with me and my husband so much that she will attempt to fly to us. SHe puts 4 times the effort in the fing flap and moves 3 times slower but she is so determined that she can fly. My point is you may have better results by changing your approach.
We all say lots and lots of patience. What I would do at this point and place a little bit of millet in the cage and let your lovebird have a taste. In a couple of days, move it on top of the cage, see if the bird will come out. Sit close by the cage and talk to your new bird. Whistle and sing to him :) Make contact calls. Communicate with him. IN a few days, then I would start working on the step up command. But no more holding the bird entrapped in your hands. Trust your lovebird and trust that eventually, with lots and lots of patience, your lovebird will WANT to get to know you. That's their nature.

I hope I didn't sound to harsh because that is not the way it is meant. I have your lovebird and your relationship with him at heart. I know it can work, but it takes a lot of time and a lot of respect for each other. I wish you good luck with your new lovie. BTW, what's his name?

Regards,

Janie
01-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I read that if you let them go out of the cage on their own your enforcing their dominace and you need to let them know that you are the dominant one. What are your thoughts on this?

Charles, I think that applies to larger parrots far more than lovebirds. Not to say that my birds don't have restrictions because they do, even my tamest lovie, Oliver. I'll go out on a limb here and tell you that I DO own my birds. I love 'em to pieces and am very good to them but I'm the boss. :)

I think the advice given by others is far better than what I can give you since I started with three tame birds, from the very beginning. I did not have to work at getting them out of the cage as all were very human friendly from day one. I did have to work at trust and I did and still do. When I first adopted Oliver I did sit by his cage and read to him. I was reading The Lovebird Handbook so I was learning about lovebirds and he was learning the sound of my voice. :) I also like Jennifer's idea about letting your bird out when you're eating. Oliver is always on my shoulder at dinner time. Not as often for Big Boi and Shy because they will walk right through every plate on the table! :D But, since they always have each other and are bonded, they don't get as much time out on me as Oliver does.

I do agree that you do have to make every effort to accommodate what your bird wants when you are working on taming him. Once you've formed a bond and he begins to trust you, everything will be much easier and you can be the boss! :D Thinking back, I think it was about 3 months before Oliver really, really started to trust me. Again, he was always tame but I think it took that long to form the bond that we have now. I spent hours with him every day, whether he was inside his cage or out. Just being close to him and talking to him. Now???? I can't get him off me. It's like I have a growth on my shoulder! :lol

Good luck and keep reading. I am 100% sure you'll get better info. here than from a pet store! So many members, so many birdies and so many different experiences to share! :)