PDA

View Full Version : Lots 'n lots

Angelwing
01-23-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm going back to Petland tomorrow to possibly get two lovies I saw there awhile ago. They have a breeding pair, and I guess two of the babies hadn't been sold because they're now about a year and a half. Both are females: one's a creamino, and the owner said the other was a harlequin, which I've never heard of, but I'm guessing it's some sort of pied? The parents are variations of Dutch Blues (I've only seen the father, which I think is a cobalt, and the mother I didn't get a good look at). They've had dutch blue babies, olives (is there another name for this?), creaminos, and this harlequin. Pretty interesting! If I do get them, I'll get some pictures up as soon as possible. ;)

Mummieeva
01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Wow, how funny. I went to a Petland for first time on Saturday. They had 2 peachfaced babies but they were sold.I do belive a Halequin is a pied bird also. Do show pictures pleaseeee.lol. Just remember to set up the quarintine room before you go get them. One less hassle so you can come home and play with new birds.lol.

Steph

kimsbirds
01-24-2006, 05:21 PM
The term harlequin doesn't officially belong in lovie terminology, but yes, I've also heard so called "breeders" call pieds by this name.
Repeat after me

Pied
Pied
Pied

hehehee

Can't wait to see pics

mjm8321
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
I think the "olive" you are referring to is called a Slate (double dark factor in blue series).
If the Dad is a Dutch Blue and they are producing Creaminos...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Dad would be split for ino. Obviously both parents are carrying a dark factor and someone is pied.

Yep, I want piccies too.!!! :)

Angelwing
01-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Steph, I had the cage and everything set up way beforehand. :cool:

Kim: Yeah, although I'm still learning all the correct terms, I didn't think 'harlequin' was one of them. This bird is almost all green, lighter in front, has an apricot band (no red face, but not whitefaced) and some of the feathers in the back have a tiny strip of yellow in the middle, incompassed in green. Feet are grey, and I don't think there are any dark factors.

MJ: I was looking in the photo album here and I think I remember seeing a picture of an 'olive' described as being a regular green with two dark factors...
And I think you're right. Their father must be split ino because this creamino baby is female. The mom is pretty much always in the nestbox, so I didn't get a good look at her again.

Anyways, as soon as I find my camera battery charger, I'll get up lots of pics. :)

EDIT: I saw some pictures of dilutes, and I think that's maybe what the 'harelquin' is. I'll have to do some serious battery charger searching tonight!

Angelwing
01-26-2006, 11:29 PM
The past couple days, I've been having my breakfast beside their cage. I open their door, but they hadn't come out. I opened the door tonight after I got home from work, to see if they wanted some play time, and lo, they did! Although they aren't very tame, they also aren't terrified of humans. Both climbed onto my arm, and I was able to hold the dilute? (non creamino) without much fuss. Of course, it'll take a lot of work to get them to trust me, but I'm always up for some birdy trust!