PDA

View Full Version : In my Mouth!!

Mandolin
01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
I am just wondering why a bird would want to crawl right into your mouth? Kameko's new thing is to give her normal kisses she gives then she puts her foot up and grabs your lip and climbs right in :lol . I try to stop her as much as possible by just keeping my mouth closed but then she just bites my lips to open them. If she does climb in it is dangerous... she went for the dangley thing in the back of my throat yesterday :eek: . I love birdie kisses so i don't want to stop her but just wondering if this is a phase other birds went through or is this just something i have to try and stop Kameko from doing?

Martha
01-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Maybe try to grab her when she tries to get into your mouth and say "No."

Elle
01-25-2006, 07:09 AM
Lots of people will tell you not to allowe this type of behavior for the bird's well being. We have a bacterias in our mouth that may make your lovebird very sick and can, sometimes, be fatal. Same with cats and dogs. We should not allowe contact with their saliva for the same reason ( including letting the bird drink water in the cat or dog dish). If my memory serves me right, the bacteria is called pasteurella. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Try distracting her. I know my lovebird likes to pull the skin on my lips if given a chance. When she comes over for a kiss, I give her a big smack kiss, pull my head back and say a big exited "Thank you!". She loves it and leaves my lips alone. You can try perching the bird on the handinstead of teh shoulder and once a kiss is given, pull her away and offer her scritches or other distraction.

Regards,

Janie
01-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Elle has given you the same information that I've read here and in my lovebird handbook. Human, dog and cat saliva are not good for your bird and can harm or even kill him. While there are some behaviors that we'd like to stop (but aren't harmful) this is one that you do need to stop for the safety of your bird. :)

lara
01-25-2006, 08:42 AM
My lovie does this whenever he is hungry...I think this is cuz that's the way his momma would have fed him .He is very persistent but i worry about the bacteria thing so i distract him with a cornflake or take him over to his food bowl.

LauraO
01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Lara: I've found there are a lot of lovies who are just curious about the mouth and will do anything to get in it. Before I realized the dangers I would let my birds play around but not any longer. It's not worth the risk. When he gets really adamant just give him something to divert his attention. This will also be helpful for you as I know it's not very comfortable to have lovie claws all over your face and mouth:eek: :eek: .

Martha
01-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't want Martha to be in my mouth because she doodies and then steps her feet into my mouth! Yucko. Good luck with your bird though.
Taylor

Mandolin
01-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah i have really been dicouraging this behaviour. Since it is relatively new i think she is catching on that it is not ok. I knew about the saliva in cats mouths, but wasn't sure if it was the same for people. Thanks for the advice.