PDA

View Full Version : Ummm... at what age do male lovies...

Eliza
01-27-2006, 06:53 PM
... start enjoying themselves, if you catch my drift >o

I was checking on Beetle (DNA male) before running out to do some errands and he seemed to be enjoying his swing. He caught me looking at him and I swear that he had a look of sheer embarrassment on his face!

Beetle will be 6 mos on 2/2 and has been an absolute terror as of late: won't step up in his cage, lunges at my fingers looking for a tasty bite, etc. Perhaps he's just going through his terrible teens?

TIA,

-e-

prplecandl
01-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I was getting ready to ask something similar to this.. My dna's male is around 7 months, and the past few weeks, it is all he does is .. wel u know... on one of his toys. He has really been doing this alot these past weeks, I guess its normal, and what we have to look forward to! :rolleyes:

Janie
01-27-2006, 07:30 PM
That is a very good question and I am also interested in the answer since I have two that are 7 months old (DNA'd males). They do feed each other and one, Shy, feeds my finger, but I have not seen any swishy-swishy from either one, yet. :D

kimsbirds
01-27-2006, 08:11 PM
I tend to believe it's age related, but also I think that now with our longer daylight hours, the birdies seem to um....wanna get jiggy with it.
I've had males and females as young as 6 months start getting amorous with toys/objects, but I don't encourage it.
If any of your birds are a bit too friendly with 'something', make sure it gets washed on a regular basis to prevent bacteria buildup.

Ick I say....

Buy A Paper Doll
01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Milo started being, shall we say, affectionate with my computer's mouse at age 4 months.

Angelwing
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Heheh, my little Laharl is just over seven months, and I haven't seen him doing 'anything' yet. Doesn't mean he isn't, though...

bellarains
01-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Bela started doing the swishy, swishy mambo on my shoulder and on my ponytail at about 6 months of age. I think it depends on the lovie, but around 6 months or so seems to be the time.

Tia, you mentioned Beetle being a bit more aggressive, have you had Beetle DNA sexed? If so, you are safe. If not, you may want to so that you know wether to expect eggies in the future, and be prepared. It would not happen for awhile, and of course you can always just wait and see also. There's not disguising a torpedo butt, when a hen is with egg;)

Eliza
01-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Tia, you mentioned Beetle being a bit more aggressive, have you had Beetle DNA sexed? If so, you are safe. If not, you may want to so that you know wether to expect eggies in the future, and be prepared. It would not happen for awhile, and of course you can always just wait and see also. There's not disguising a torpedo butt, when a hen is with egg;)

Yup, Beetle is a DNA-sexed male (through Avian Biotech - the breeder I got Beetle from always sexes her birds) :wink: Mistakes can happen in testing so I may have another test run to be sure. Not that it bothers me if he's male or female, of course.

-e-

ps -- I wrote TIA in my orig. post as "Thanks in advance." Hope that didn't cause any confusion.