PDA

View Full Version : sleeping in the bed

animallover
01-28-2006, 06:44 AM
im so happy to find others with as much love for their love birds as i have! as i have never been on here before, i would like to know why lovies like to hide in dark places. my 2 darlings sleep in bed with me (when my partner works away) and they run straight under the pillow! not coming out until the sun comes up (poop free sheets if i wake up with them and grab the tissue quickly enough thank god).
my babies are rodreigo and anthrax. ive had rodreigo for about a year (from a baby) then a few months ago found anthrax hanging out behind rods cage (it was love at first sight, i couldnt let it go). when i eventually put them together rod was ready for a bit of loving and raised her tail and spread her wings but anthrax just isnt interested, maybe a female???? they get on so well, which i thought was unusual for strangers. i dont know how old anthrax is. it tolerates me but prefers rod. ive never been bitten by either.
look forward to hearing what you think!
mel

bellarains
01-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Mel,

Welcome to the board. Yes, we are are just nuts about our fids(feathered kids), so you have found the right place:lol

I have to tell you that we have had two members in the past that slept with their lovies, and both them did not survive. One suffocated by getting stuck, the other owner rolled over and killed their lovie. In the best interest of your fids, I would put them in their cage to sleep at night.

Please post us some pics of Anthrax and Rodgreigo in the photo forum is you have any, so we can put sweet little faces with the names:)

butterfly1061
01-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Hi Mel,

Welcome to the board. Do you know what mutations your lovebirds are? We'd love to see pictures. :)

I do have to agree with Bellarains about the sleeping arrangements. I would hate to hear bad news about your babies someday. You could always get a cozie for them to sleep in inside a cage at night. It would be just like sleeping under the pillow - a hiding place so to speak. :D

Janie
01-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi and Welcome! :)

Right after I adopted my lovie, over two years ago, I bought a wonderful lovebird book...."The Lovebird Handbook" by Vera Appleyard. In the safety chapter, on page 66, this is what she says...."Absolutely, positively never even consider sleeping with your bird. You cannot control your movements when you sleep, and our body weight would suffocate a bird in just a few seconds. In a number of incidents in which owners slept with their birds, they experienced the tragic consequences of this irresponsible behavior." That was all I needed to read to assure me that I would never sleep or even nap with my bird. If I feel drowsy and my bird is with me, he goes back to the cage. There have been a few sad cases on this forum when someone fell asleep with their bird and crushed it and we would not want that to happen to you.

Angelwing
01-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, I definitely wouldn't risk the birds sleeping in bed with you. It's extremely unsafe. You never know what you might do in your sleep.

Anyways, welcome! I look forward to seeing pictures of your two beauties, as well as hearing stories about them. :)

Mandolin
01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the board! This sure is the right place for you, sounds like you have as special of a relationship with your birds as the rest of us here do too. I can't wait to see pictures of your birds. My 7 month old lovie, Kameko, loves to play in the covers of the bed and find warm dark places. Though i have never slept with her, it is one of her favorite games to tunnel in my duvet (and make funny little homes) and run around under the covers. Birds sure are funny that way.

graushill
01-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi and welcome!

Rodreigo and Anthrax sound like very cuddly little lovies and I too would love to see pictures of them :). You were wondering about why lovies like dark places, and I think it may have something to do with their nesting instict, maybe more so in the case of females, but even for males. I got my lovies (two males and one female) cozy huts for sleep time, and they all love them, even my wild one who is otherwise scared of anything that I put in his cage, so I think it has something to do with the cozy hut being a warm, dark place.

As for Anthrax not being as interested in Rodreigo, it could be s/he is still adjusting to his/her new surroundings, and was therefore still too shy to respond to Rodreigo. It could be too like you said, that you have a same sex couple, but from what I've seen, lovies don't really mind whether their beloved one is the same sex as they are or not ;). It could be too that s/he has still not reached sexual maturity. In any case, once they are totally bonded, they will probably mate, and mate, and mate, and mate, and m....you get the idea :).

Gloria

linda040899
01-28-2006, 09:29 PM
The most heartwrenching e-mail I ever got was from a young girl who woke up one morning and found her lovebird lying dead on the mattress next to her. She neglected to close the cage door before she went to bed and her lovebird just wanted to cuddle. Always, always, always make sure that your lovebirds are in a very safe place when they go to sleep. Safe is not in a human bed.

animallover
01-29-2006, 12:05 AM
i think i have got the photo up and running. if so, rodreigo is the primrose one. she has great posture!!! thanks to all who gave me advice. i think they have just spent their last night sharing the bed. i would be devastated to lose one that way. my partner is jealous that i show more affection to my babies than him! very funny.

cant wait to share my funny stories with you all!

mel

bellarains
01-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Mel,

You don't know what a relief that is to us all. Our main goal here is to try and share all that we know, and have learned so that anyone looking for information can care for, and form a bonding relationship with their lovies. We have all learned here over the years, some hard lessons ourselves, and other hard lessons from others. There are so many potential dangers to our little ones, and it helps for everyone to share their good, and their bad experiences. Those experiences have most likely saved countless lives.

I look forward to hearing all about your lovies antics. Now, I'm off to see the pics. I looooooove pics:D

shylevon
01-29-2006, 01:22 PM
I am relieved also to hear that you will no longer sleep with your birdies. If a bird is tame, he will snuggle close to you and won't move when you do. Under the pillow and one shift with your head and the birdie will die. Birds should also be supervised 100% of the time they are out of the cage, and the safest place for a birdie to be in the night is in a locked cage.

Glad to see you on the site, and I know we all look forward to hearing more about your adventures with the little guys.